PDA

View Full Version : Skippy

cj's dad
05-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I came across this today while looking at some racing memorabilia.

He was quite a race horse !

Skip Away.jpg (attachment.php?attachmentid=7465&stc=1)

Cholly
05-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for sharing this. He's still my all-time favorite.

In a better world, we'd have more horses like Skip Away, and more Trainers like Sonny Hines.

lamboguy
05-04-2011, 01:48 PM
he's one of mine too! my partner had him as a baby, straightened him out and sonny hine turned him into a champion. same thing happened with formal gold.

thiose 2 horses got solid bottoms in them before they hit the racetrack and had some longetivity compared to the horses today.

cj's dad
05-04-2011, 01:54 PM
This photo was taken at the JCGC in 1998 - Skip Away lost on an off track to Wagon Limit in a short field; 5 I think.

precocity
05-04-2011, 02:11 PM
r.i.p. skip one of my all time favs

nijinski
05-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I loved the outspoken Sonny Hines. He and his wife adored Skippy ,the Florida bred he bought her for her birthday so she could spot him more easily.
Miss those days !

senortout
05-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I must preface this by adding my love and admiration for both the horse and the trainer, and his wife.

Everybody called him Sonny Hines......

It was Hine without the S at the end...strange, isn't it? I had to look it up on the internet after noting how your picture was autographed!

'fiction and facts from Sam's Almanac' old Breakfast Club feature quote

fiveouttasix
05-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for sharing...seems to be the trend here...My all time favorite as well!

cj's dad
05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Carolyn HINE was a daughter of a Jewish man who ownesda furniture/appliance store (Plymouth Appliance ? ) in East Baltimore less than a 10 minute walk from my home in East Baltimore. I did not know her, but I met both her and Sonny years ago at Pimlico. Nice folks. When my youngest sons girlfriend (at the time) took this photo, I contacted Sonny at either GP or Calder (think it was GP). He asked that I send the photo and a copy to him in Florida. He was living around Hallendale at the time. He (or she autographed it) and sent a copy back to me). The original is hanging in my dining room. Hey, I'm a bachelor, I can hang pix wherever I want !!

I must preface this by adding my love and admiration for both the horse and the trainer, and his wife.

Everybody called him Sonny Hines......

It was Hine without the S at the end...strange, isn't it? I had to look it up on the internet after noting how your picture was autographed!

'fiction and facts from Sam's Almanac' old Breakfast Club feature quote