PDA

View Full Version : Recognizing A Prep

Tee
10-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Maybe someone could put a better title to the discussion, but recognizing a "prep" race is what I came up with.

This mostly regards a "classy" thoroughbred coming back off a lengthy vacation & the betting public jumping on board while I look at the pp's and say "this one's a prep, no way this horse will fire his/her best today."

I saw this yesterday with Brancusi in the 12th at Santa Anita & today with Olmodavor in the 4th at Santa Anita.

Brancusi was the 2nd choice @ 3/1 & finished last.

Olmodavor was nearly the co-favorite @ 1.3/1 & finished last.

Often these types will comeback & race at a distance or surface that just doesn't fit their norm & they still aren't ignored at the windows.

I'm not complaining, but just wondering why?

SAL
10-26-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm not so sure Brancusi's race yesterday was a prep. The horse had worked on the turf and maybe the connections saw something they liked and decided to try him on it. Olmodavor's race was more likely a prep, and I didn't bet him when I saw the crowd pounding him.

cj
10-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Some people can't ignore the big speed figures, or they are using software that can't ignore the big numbers. Its even better to try and catch them when they are properly spotted and fit if the price is right!

cato
10-26-2003, 07:26 PM
While I agree withheconceptthat the public overbets classy horses coming back after a layoff, I don't see a last place finish is a "prep" race. That's just a bad race..maybe something still wrong withthe horse...

Cato

Fastracehorse
10-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Like CJ said, the public can't ignore certain factors.

The same goes for Jocks - they like the good ones.