PDA

View Full Version : Suppose they held a draft and nobody came

rastajenk
05-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Kind of surprised at the lack of chatter here about last week's NFL draft. Kind of. I admit I usually get a little geeked for it...not that I'm a draftnik or host a party or anything like that...but the lockout and lack of pre-draft activity led to a "eh, that's nice" attitude on my part, and apparently for lots of others.

The NFL should take notice. If there's no football next fall, people will find other things to do, and they won't take rejection lightly. Any kind of groundswell or demand for the return of football will most likely be agenda-driven astroturfing, as opposed to a genuine desire to sacrifice Sunday afternoons for five months to the entertainment behemoth.

RaceBookJoe
05-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Kind of surprised at the lack of chatter here about last week's NFL draft. Kind of. I admit I usually get a little geeked for it...not that I'm a draftnik or host a party or anything like that...but the lockout and lack of pre-draft activity led to a "eh, that's nice" attitude on my part, and apparently for lots of others.

The NFL should take notice. If there's no football next fall, people will find other things to do, and they won't take rejection lightly. Any kind of groundswell or demand for the return of football will most likely be agenda-driven astroturfing, as opposed to a genuine desire to sacrifice Sunday afternoons for five months to the entertainment behemoth.

I actually enjoyed the draft...watched all 3 days, think i burned out my retinas :) rbj

cj
05-04-2011, 09:35 AM
I have no idea how anyone can watch that for hours on end.

RaceBookJoe
05-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I have no idea how anyone can watch that for hours on end.

Because I am a Redskins fan...and this year we actually had picks :bang:

Robert Goren
05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I actually enjoyed the draft...watched all 3 days, think i burned out my retinas :) rbjMe, too. It is the Derby that I can't work up any enthusiasm over.

cj
05-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Because I am a Redskins fan...and this year we actually had picks :bang:

I'm a Giants fan, and I tuned in when they were going to pick the first two days, but that is about all I could handle.

elysiantraveller
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I watched the first round... every year though it seems pretty anti-climactic to me. The Vikings made a bad pick, and the Lions and Giants were the winners of the first round...

RaceBookJoe
05-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm a Giants fan, and I tuned in when they were going to pick the first two days, but that is about all I could handle.

I really tried to do that...but in rounds 1-3, the Redskins kept trading back...so i kept waiting and waiting. Before i knew it we had 12 picks and 3 days of my life was gone haha. ps: Giants got a steal with the cb in round 1. rbj

RaceBookJoe
05-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I watched the first round... every year though it seems pretty anti-climactic to me. The Vikings made a bad pick, and the Lions and Giants were the winners of the first round...

I didnt understand the Vikings pick, and who the heck is going to run up the middle on the Lions...wow, thats a heck of a DT tandem. If they can get Bradford some protection the Lions can have a say in things before long. Also thought the Chiefs had a decent draft both this year and last year. rbj

headhawg
05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
I have no idea how anyone can watch that for hours on end.Yeah, me either. It's not like you can't find out who got picked on the Internet five seconds later. And when you think about it, the draft is such a big crapshoot you really don't know what you have anyway.

You've got to hand it to the NFL -- they know how to market their product.

cj
05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I didnt understand the Vikings pick, and who the heck is going to run up the middle on the Lions...wow, thats a heck of a DT tandem. If they can get Bradford some protection the Lions can have a say in things before long. Also thought the Chiefs had a decent draft both this year and last year. rbj

Why would the Lions want to protect Bradford?

cj
05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I really tried to do that...but in rounds 1-3, the Redskins kept trading back...so i kept waiting and waiting. Before i knew it we had 12 picks and 3 days of my life was gone haha. ps: Giants got a steal with the cb in round 1. rbj

I hope so, but you never really know. I saw him play once, and the kid Blackmon from OSU lit him up like a Christmas tree.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-04-2011, 01:18 PM
If no NFL on Sunday, maybe Hawthorne resume Sunday racing. :)

Valuist
05-04-2011, 01:18 PM

LOL. He meant Stafford. At least I think he meant Stafford.

Steve-

I could never figure out why Haw would run on Wednesdays and stay dark on Sundays......more people work on Wednesdays than Sundays. Have to ask Jim Miller about that one.

RaceBookJoe
05-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Stafford...i get those 2 mixed up...:bang:

elysiantraveller
05-04-2011, 03:38 PM

You mean Stafford but yes I agree... Us Lions fans are worried he is made of glass..