PDA

View Full Version : Remember Mine That Bird

horses4courses
05-03-2011, 09:47 PM
The accomplishments of the past two Derby winners, or lack thereof, after winning the roses are a stark reminder to everyone that it's the best horse on the day that gets the money - and that's all there is to it.

No matter which horse a person talks-up before the race, you can't dismiss their opinion. Even if it goes against all your calculations and deep-rooted logic, if a horse makes it to post in the KY Derby, he's got a shot!

Hoofless_Wonder
05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Very true. Who would have guessed that Mine That Bird turned out to be the only nag that absolutely RELISHED the drying out muck at Churchill two years ago, and put in a "man among boys" performance?

A fast or very sloppy track makes things more predictable - muddy-good glue does not help....

sonnyp
05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
ive been lucky enough to see 2 derbies in person. i was really lucky to be there in 1973 standing atop the brick wall that runs behind the starting gate at the top of the stretch. my kid brother sat at my feet as they loaded sham,secretariat, an unheralded forego and others into the gate just a few feet beneath and away from us. everybody knows how that one went.

2 years before i was a broke college kid and was at my first derby. we had slept at the "sammy" house, univ. of louisville, on the floor the night before. i held $20 win on the calumet entry of eastern fleet and bold and able a friend had given me so i could eat and drink. i was rooting for jim french and the field included bold reason.

i couldn't see a thing during the race but as the field turned for home the toteboard showing the leaders read 1 and 1A, the calumet entry. i was dead...i couldn't pay.

thank god, down the middle of the track in dirt brown silks....who ??? cona-what ???

a horse from south america, cananero II, with gustavo avila in the irons and trained by juan arias. thank god for him.

i had not heard 1 word mentioned about this horse prior to the race. he was purchased by king ranch later on, and had a legit shot at the triple crown. pretty nice horse foe the $1,200 he brought as a yearling.

Plain Steve
05-04-2011, 08:54 AM
ive been lucky enough to see 2 derbies in person. i was really lucky to be there in 1973 standing atop the brick wall that runs behind the starting gate at the top of the stretch. my kid brother sat at my feet as they loaded sham,secretariat, an unheralded forego and others into the gate just a few feet beneath and away from us. everybody knows how that one went.

2 years before i was a broke college kid and was at my first derby. we had slept at the "sammy" house, univ. of louisville, on the floor the night before. i held $20 win on the calumet entry of eastern fleet and bold and able a friend had given me so i could eat and drink. i was rooting for jim french and the field included bold reason.

i couldn't see a thing during the race but as the field turned for home the toteboard showing the leaders read 1 and 1A, the calumet entry. i was dead...i couldn't pay.

thank god, down the middle of the track in dirt brown silks....who ??? cona-what ???

a horse from south america, cananero II, with gustavo avila in the irons and trained by juan arias. thank god for him.

i had not heard 1 word mentioned about this horse prior to the race. he was purchased by king ranch later on, and had a legit shot at the triple crown. pretty nice horse foe the $1,200 he brought as a yearling.

Sorry to post off-topic, but reading your post I couldn't help but wonder about the potential Secretariat vs. Forego races that could have happened. Sadly it's all about the money now, which is why we have such a silly name as "Kentucky Derby Presented by Yumi Brands" (excuse me while i vomit)
Jess Jackson, who raced Curlin at age 4, will surely be missed by "true" fans of the sport.

lamboguy
05-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Sorry to post off-topic, but reading your post I couldn't help but wonder about the potential Secretariat vs. Forego races that could have happened. Sadly it's all about the money now, which is why we have such a silly name as "Kentucky Derby Presented by Yumi Brands" (excuse me while i vomit)
Jess Jackson, who raced Curlin at age 4, will surely be missed by "true" fans of the sport.
jess jackson was an owner with some color and indeed had a competetive force inside him. another guy that i remember like that in his own flashy was a playboy at heart, carl rosen. he owned horses like chief's crown and chrissy everett. he used to have match races in gulfstream with horses he owned and other sprarky owners who would bet between them the amount of lengths the horse would win by

depalma113
05-04-2011, 11:43 AM
The accomplishments of the past two Derby winners, or lack thereof, after winning the roses are a stark reminder to everyone that it's the best horse on the day that gets the money - and that's all there is to it.

No matter which horse a person talks-up before the race, you can't dismiss their opinion. Even if it goes against all your calculations and deep-rooted logic, if a horse makes it to post in the KY Derby, he's got a shot!

What if a horse bolts or breaks down while leading in the stretch? What if a jockey misjudges the finish line? Sometimes the best horse on the day still doesn't win.

sonnyp
05-04-2011, 12:03 PM
What if a horse bolts or breaks down while leading in the stretch? What if a jockey misjudges the finish line? Sometimes the best horse on the day still doesn't win.

considered by many the best to lose the derby the only race he ever lost:

http://youtu.be/rBBvKILL1IM

Bruddah
05-04-2011, 01:55 PM
considered by many the best to lose the derby the only race he ever lost:

http://youtu.be/rBBvKILL1IM

Considered by me, the Greatest Horse and Sire since 1950. 22 starts..21 wins..1place.. If you know anything about Thoroughbred Breeding, he is one of the most influential sire of sires. Through him and his sons and grandson's come such names as Raise A Native, Exclusive Native, Majestic Prince, Alydar, Mr Prospector, Conquistador Cielo, Fappiano, Forty Niner, Gone West, Gulch, Jade Hunter, Kingmambo, Our Emblem, Woodman, Seeking the Gold and many more.

He is also the sire of Natalma, the Dam of Northern Dancer. She was inducted into the Canadian Hall of Fame in 2007.

In my humble opinion, there will never be one to come along like him again.

sonnyp
05-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Considered by me, the Greatest Horse and Sire since 1950. 22 starts..21 wins..1place.. If you know anything about Thoroughbred Breeding, he is one of the most influential sire of sires. Through him and his sons and grandson's come such names as Raise A Native, Exclusive Native, Majestic Prince, Alydar, Mr Prospector, Conquistador Cielo, Fappiano, Forty Niner, Gone West, Gulch, Jade Hunter, Kingmambo, Our Emblem, Woodman, Seeking the Gold and many more.

He is also the sire of Natalma, the Dam of Northern Dancer. She was inducted into the Canadian Hall of Fame in 2007.

In my humble opinion, there will never be one to come along like him again.

i thought i read a story in sports illustrated about this race.(if i'm wrong, im sure ill read about it)

ted atkinson was aboard him in every race except this one cause he was serving a suspension.

tough spot and a tough loss for eric guerin. the only loss after a nightmare trip.

Steve R
05-04-2011, 02:58 PM
i thought i read a story in sports illustrated about this race.(if i'm wrong, im sure ill read about it)

ted atkinson was aboard him in every race except this one cause he was serving a suspension.

tough spot and a tough loss for eric guerin. the only loss after a nightmare trip.
Guerin rode Native Dancer in every start of his career except one, the American Derby which was the last start of his 3yo campaign. Arcaro rode him to an easy win.

sonnyp
05-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Guerin rode Native Dancer in every start of his career except one, the American Derby which was the last start of his 3yo campaign. Arcaro rode him to an easy win.

that's why i said "thought". i "thought" the story involved 2 jocks and native dancer. i would never refute your post about eric guerin. i know he was one of the jocks in the story.

are you sure about arcaro being the only other ? i think it may have been atkinson ?

sonnyp
05-04-2011, 03:23 PM
that's why i said "thought". i "thought" the story involved 2 jocks and native dancer. i would never refute your post about eric guerin. i know he was one of the jocks in the story.

are you sure about arcaro being the only other ? i think it may have been atkinson ?

arcaro is the only one other than guerin. you were correct.