PDA

View Full Version : Mo ain't sounding as "sho" for Saturday

Grits
05-03-2011, 08:49 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110503/SPORTS05/305030117/-1/rsslink

Repole said the final decision on running Uncle Mo in the Derby “could be made as late as Saturday mid-day,” which would be well after wagering on the Derby begins at 9:30 Friday.

Mid-day scratch on Saturday, Man, would that be a real b**** or what.

Again, this dude really needs to hush; let his trainer do the talking.

mannyberrios
05-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I am pretty sure that he will go

Stillriledup
05-03-2011, 09:06 PM
This is the horse Repole is going to 'make the favorite' a horse who might not even run?

I liked this guy at the awards in January, now i'm rethinking my position. I'll like him less if he enters a horse who doesnt plan on running.

trackrat59
05-03-2011, 09:23 PM
This is the horse Repole is going to 'make the favorite' a horse who might not even run?

I liked this guy at the awards in January, now i'm rethinking my position. I'll like him less if he enters a horse who doesnt plan on running.

Agreed

riskman
05-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Well Whoopsie Doo. Looks like paying "mommy" is more fun than ever with UNCLE MO that "eats" and "poops" just like any real horse. This disturbing news will surely keep me up at night wondering if the big guy will go to the dance on Saturday afternoon. It appears that Repole thinks the race is all about Uncle Mo and the others are just there for the exercise which may or may not be the case. In any event may the "force be with you."

Irish Boy
05-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Well Whoopsie Doo. Looks like paying "mommy" is more fun than ever with UNCLE MO that "eats" and "poops" just like any real horse. This disturbing news will surely keep me up at night wondering if the big guy will go to the dance on Saturday afternoon. It appears that Repole thinks the race is all about Uncle Mo and the others are just there for the exercise which may or may not be the case. In any event may the "force be with you."
I read this seven times, and while I understand each of the words individually, I have no idea what it means when you put them together in sentence form.

point given
05-03-2011, 09:51 PM
I read this seven times, and while I understand each of the words individually, I have no idea what it means when you put them together in sentence form.

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone here in reading comprehension :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Looks like the union boy from Massachusetts (Eastie) might have some juice after all... :lol:

Grits
05-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Looks like the union boy from Massachusetts (Eastie) might have some juice after all... :lol:

First thought that came to mind when I found the report.:lol:

Dahoss9698
05-03-2011, 10:01 PM

I laughed out loud at this.

Hoofless_Wonder
05-03-2011, 10:30 PM
It's $25K to enter, and $25K to start, eh? So if the decision to run Uncle Mo is delayed until Saturday, Repole is still out $25K. Chump change to him I suppose, since he has the claimed ability to make his horse the chalk.

Shelby
05-03-2011, 11:18 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110503/SPORTS05/305030117/-1/rsslink

Mid-day scratch on Saturday, Man, would that be a real b**** or what.

Again, this dude really needs to hush; let his trainer do the talking.

Yeah, if he's not sure, then let another horse in, don't scratch after the fact.

Hopefully Mr. Repole isn't getting too big for his britches. He should put the horse first and his ego last.

Tom
05-03-2011, 11:20 PM
What will magically occur mid day on Saturday that would allow the anointed one to enter the gate? :rolleyes:

Shelby
05-03-2011, 11:22 PM
What will magically occur mid day on Saturday that would allow the anointed one to enter the gate? :rolleyes:

A new kind of stomach medication that isn't a banned substance? ;)

Striker
05-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Pletcher schooled 5 horses in the paddock today and Uncle Mo wasn't one of them. Stay Thirsty and Her Smile were 2 of the 5. Might not mean anything but why wasn't he included?

duncan04
05-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Pletcher schooled 5 horses in the paddock today and Uncle Mo wasn't one of them. Stay Thirsty and Her Smile were 2 of the 5. Might not mean anything but why wasn't he included?

Was wondering that same thing when HRTV reported that today.

Grits
05-04-2011, 09:49 AM
If Pletcher's wise . . . . he won't jack the wagering public, the fans, around long on this deal. If this horse is not sound, he better come up with a decision before lunchtime on Saturday. I don't care how loudmouth his owner is, or how deep his pockets are. I doubt anyone else cares either. This whole thing is becoming a joke.

Pletcher saw the fallout from Life At Ten--certainly not one of his finer moments. One would think he may not be interested in going for round two. Its never good when the tail's wagging the dog.

cj
05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
This horse has to be an instant toss if he goes.

Plain Steve
05-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Just what the sport needs right now.

Shack is flexing his muscles and MO is trembling!!!

Tom
05-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Too bad he can't enter LAT in the Oaks and go for the first Oaks/Derby "Distanced" comments.

FenceBored
05-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Too bad he can't enter LAT in the Oaks and go for the first Oaks/Derby "Distanced" comments.

Her Smile (ML 20-1).

Bruddah
05-04-2011, 10:36 AM

If you have the ability to make the horse the favorite, you also have the ability to get the best odds possible on that favorite. Repole simply opens his mouth and creates greater doubt in the horse. It's simple folks. Stop trying to make such a big deal out of his statements. That's what he is trying to accomplish.

FenceBored
05-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Uncle Mo got schooled in CD's paddock last Fall, and handled the crowd on BC Saturday. He's an old pro now.

cj
05-04-2011, 11:12 AM
If you have the ability to make the horse the favorite, you also have the ability to get the best odds possible on that favorite. Repole simply opens his mouth and creates greater doubt in the horse. It's simple folks. Stop trying to make such a big deal out of his statements. That's what he is trying to accomplish.

If he creates doubt, that means he has to bet even more to make the horse the favorite.

He is acting like a clown. If you think this is some clever ruse, you are in for a letdown.

andymays
05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/triple/derby/2011-05-03-uncle-mo-infection-derby_N.htm

Excerpt:

LOUISVILLE — Mike Repole, owner of prime contender Uncle Mo, emphasized that it remains unclear whether his 2-year-old champion will be sufficiently recovered from a gastrointestinal infection to compete in Saturday's Kentucky Derby.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/triple/derby/2011-05-03-uncle-mo-infection-derby_N.htm

sonnyp
05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
manipulation has become part of the game. ken ramsey, while being considered for "owner of the year", tried to pay a trainer to scratch the trainers horse so ramsey's horse could draw into the race. was it last year zayzt threatened a conspiracy against rachel alexandra ? i've seen baffert ,who was about to face a dominating opponent. in a stake enter 5 of his horses which he had no intention of running. he did this to force a split division of the stake by the large numbers entered. once he saw his best had dodged the big favorite, by landing in another division, he simply scratched the ones he never intended on running and went on to win his division of the stake without facing the "monster".

manipulation has become yhe game.

OFFandRUNNING10
05-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Sounds like they are just setting up an excuse for when he loses. You hear all week and a half how great he has been doing and all is peachy. Then when he loses you will just hear "oh well he wasn't fully recovered". There is more horse manure coming out of Repole's mouth than there is in all of the barns at Churchill.

JBmadera
05-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Sounds like they are just setting up an excuse for when he loses. You hear all week and a half how great he has been doing and all is peachy. Then when he loses you will just hear "oh well he wasn't fully recovered". There is more horse manure coming out of Repole's mouth than there is in all of the barns at Churchill.

ya, looks like he's moved from the vitamin water biz to the manure biz....I'm sorry but this guy is a complete tool. regardless of the owners stupidity, should Mo start, I'm tossing him.

musola
05-04-2011, 02:15 PM
It is shame that Repole is treating a horse that has been so good to him.

musola
05-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Sorry, meant to say treating so poorly a horse which has been so good to him.

Bruddah
05-04-2011, 02:33 PM
If he creates doubt, that means he has to bet even more to make the horse the favorite.

He is acting like a clown. If you think this is some clever ruse, you are in for a letdown.

It won't be me in for a let down, it will be Repole. If he bets early and he gets odds of i.e. 2-1 and then he creates doubt for other bettors and the odds go up to i.e. 5-2, he has accomplished what he's trying to do. Either way, the horse needs to win. Also, stating he intends to make his horse the favorite scares off some bettors that might of bet him otherwise. He's simply driving up the odds on his bet. Why do you think he says he might wait until Saturday to make the decision?

A bit mouthy on his part. But, we all like better odds when we put our money on the line. Just saying, he has the ability (financially) to lower the odds on his animal and he has the ability to create enough doubt in others who might otherwise might bet him to win.

As for me, I am seriously considering Master of the Hounds. Beautiful breeding. Otherwise, I find this a tough Derby to bet. Good Luck with your choice(s). :ThmbUp:

Grits
05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2011/05/04/uncle-mo-entered-not-definite-for-kentucky-derby.aspx

If the following is true, its a real drag, though I doubt the guy will ever admit it.

Regardless if Uncle Mo (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/triple-crown/contender-detail.aspx?contenderno=1968) starts, Repole and Pletcher also have Gotham Stakes (G3) winner Stay Thirsty, and some speculated outside Pletcher’s barn on Wednesday that Repole only entered Uncle Mo to secure more box seats to America’s most prestigious race.

sonnyp
05-04-2011, 04:08 PM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2011/05/04/uncle-mo-entered-not-definite-for-kentucky-derby.aspx

If the following is true, its a real drag, though I doubt the guy will ever admit it.

this guy could be a relative to iavarone of IEAH fame. amazing how this type craves the spotlight

Sundown
05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
What is the deadline for an eligible horse to scratch and an Also Eligible (AE) horse to still get in?

Relwob Owner
05-04-2011, 09:28 PM
this guy could be a relative to iavarone of IEAH fame. amazing how this type craves the spotlight

I find it amazing that a guy like Repole chooses to invest this much in the game and yet, based on his comments, is so unaware of how difficult the game is and how instantly humbling it can be.

Definitely rooting against Uncle No

sonnyp
05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I find it amazing that a guy like Repole chooses to invest this much in the game and yet, based on his comments, is so unaware of how difficult the game is and how instantly humbling it can be.

Definitely rooting against Uncle No

his behavior makes you wonder if the whole vitamin water thing was just a stroke of luck.

he doesn't come accross as one with a lot of class.

Shelby
05-04-2011, 09:41 PM
What is the deadline for an eligible horse to scratch and an Also Eligible (AE) horse to still get in?

I'm 99% sure that it had to be before the pp draw today. If Mo scratches now, it would be a field of 19 no matter what.

olddaddy
05-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm 99% sure that it had to be before the pp draw today. If Mo scratches now, it would be a field of 19 no matter what.

I agree, no also eligibles listed in pps.

Sundown
05-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Good point. Thought the way they were talking about 22 entries that there might be an AE although I don't ever remember one.

Grits
05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
AEs don't go in the Derby, when the draw is done, its a done deal. If someone scratches out, still, a done deal. Twenty, or less than twenty--the race goes.

A team of five will look at Mo--Repole, Pletcher and three vets. Repole held court after the post draw to explain this.

Below is the latest episode of:

"Mike Repole Brings You The 137th Running Of The Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum Brands."

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2011/05/04/panel-of-five-will-decide-whether-uncle-mo-starts.aspx?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4dc272569f9ac856%2C0

rastajenk
05-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Tough crowd, the lot of ya's. Guy tries to invest some enthusiasm, answers some questions put to him, and all of a sudden he's a poster boy for anti-karma, it's cool to root against him and his hoss, and he's nothing short of a gen-u-ine bigmouth a-hole. Jeesh! I'd trade places with him. :cool:

Grits
05-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Rasta, I hold no hard feelings towards him, my thought is this should be resolved. And not at the last minute. They know, well, the condition their horse is in. He's surrounded 24/7 and has been for many weeks. The need to wait on this, right up until the last minutes, to me, is unfortunate. He's a good guy, but the media is giving him too much face time at this point. There are 19 other horses in the field. The race ain't all about Mo and Mike.

toussaud
05-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Tough crowd, the lot of ya's. Guy tries to invest some enthusiasm, answers some questions put to him, and all of a sudden he's a poster boy for anti-karma, it's cool to root against him and his hoss, and he's nothing short of a gen-u-ine bigmouth a-hole. Jeesh! I'd trade places with him. :cool:
i liked the guy up until around a month ago. liked him alot actually. but this dude has taken some master degree courses in douchery or something because this whole charade is just pathetic. either you are running or you aren't. What about the horse. One day you say you are going to make mo the fav then the next you don't even know if you are going to run. He just wants to hear himself talk at this point.

GaryG
05-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Guys like Repole are one of the reasons that I would rather see a top horse in the hands of one of the Kentucky bluebloods, such as Seth Hancock. I do like Baffert and his group though, especially Kaleem Shah.

Relwob Owner
05-05-2011, 10:48 AM
i liked the guy up until around a month ago. liked him alot actually. but this dude has taken some master degree courses in douchery or something because this whole charade is just pathetic. either you are running or you aren't. What about the horse. One day you say you are going to make mo the fav then the next you don't even know if you are going to run. He just wants to hear himself talk at this point.

I could not agree more....the question you have to ask is why say anything at all? First, he boasts how much money he is going to bet on his horse and a few days later there is a debate as to whether that horse he was going to bet so much on will even run.....yes, I would trade places with him in an instant and if I could, I would then apply a muzzle to myself so I cant say the same misguided and generally ignorant things he has.

toussaud
05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
about the time Mo got the GI infection, Repole started pulling stuff out his own butt. Before then, even after he lost the wood, I respected him.

I mean I never was mo's biggest fan, but the horse was a brilliant 2YO, gave the trainer a breeders cup win, his first, his first grade 1 win, is going to go to stud when it's all said and done and make him even more money and make him mo babies that are fast and good, and you repay the horse by running through this dog and pony show? makes me sick to my stomach, seriously. I wish someone with a pen and some cred had the balls to call them out on this crap

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Rasta, I hold no hard feelings towards him, my thought is this should be resolved. And not at the last minute. They know, well, the condition their horse is in. He's surrounded 24/7 and has been for many weeks.Isn't it entirely possible that whatever the problem is might be something that could resolve itself sometime between the draw and the race? If so, then they are acting entirely appropriately IMO.

tubesockshakur
05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Isn't it entirely possible that whatever the problem is might be something that could resolve itself sometime between the draw and the race? If so, then they are acting entirely appropriately IMO.

winner,winner.....sheen dinner.

toussaud
05-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Isn't it entirely possible that whatever the problem is might be something that could resolve itself sometime between the draw and the race? If so, then they are acting entirely appropriately IMO.
still don't think that's a chance you take with a horse.. of that caliber. any horse in reality.

Relwob Owner
05-05-2011, 11:38 AM
still don't think that's a chance you take with a horse.. of that caliber. any horse in reality.

We are all arm chair quarterbacking here but I tend to agree with you....if what they are saying is the truth and if it really is this much of a "game time decision", then you sort of have to wonder......With this much uncertainty this close to the race, why they would run the horse in a race that doesnt seem to fit his target distance and is often a race that yields extremely tough trips for horses?

hogan6
05-05-2011, 12:04 PM
This owner just digs the spotlight. The horse is not 100%. The draw sealed his fate. Get him right. He's a toss whether he runs or not.

sonnyp
05-05-2011, 12:25 PM
im no fan of bluebloods. remember the phipps', the mellons, the vanderbuilts, the galbraiths ?

if it was these "types" and their trainers, do you think this chirade and one like "i want revenge" would take place ?

i posted an article on d.wayne lukas by gary west yesterday. lukas comments a lot of the romance of the derby has been lost to "corporate types" (brought to you by yummi brand).

this is a different class of people in horse racing and sometimes it ain't pretty.

senortout
05-05-2011, 12:25 PM
It won't be me in for a let down, it will be Repole. If he bets early and he gets odds of i.e. 2-1 and then he creates doubt for other bettors and the odds go up to i.e. 5-2, he has accomplished what he's trying to do. Either way, the horse needs to win. Also, stating he intends to make his horse the favorite scares off some bettors that might of bet him otherwise. He's simply driving up the odds on his bet. Why do you think he says he might wait until Saturday to make the decision?

A bit mouthy on his part. But, we all like better odds when we put our money on the line. Just saying, he has the ability (financially) to lower the odds on his animal and he has the ability to create enough doubt in others who might otherwise might bet him to win.

As for me, I am seriously considering Master of the Hounds. Beautiful breeding. Otherwise, I find this a tough Derby to bet. Good Luck with your choice(s). :ThmbUp:

Do some of you really think this is all so he can cash a healthier ticket on his animal?....with a purse of such magnitude hanging in the balance, and all the financial perks that a Derby win will produce...c'mon get real.

depalma113
05-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Uncle Mo is done. Since he's losing appetite and lacks energy, I'll assume he'll be scratched by tonight.

toussaud
05-05-2011, 01:09 PM
if he runs and runs up the track, bad,couldn't you make a strong case that this is the same thing he (pletcher) did in the breeders cup?

Grits
05-05-2011, 01:12 PM
One other observation, yesterday, watching the post draw, the camera was up close on Repole and Pletcher when Mo's post was called. Both gentlemen looked totally unaffected and indifferent, no comment by Pletcher--just one quip by Repole to him. No more conversation between them. Body language said, "NEXT". That was about it.

Completely different look when Stay Thirsty's post was drawn. All smiles, giggling like two school boys, exchanging plenty of quiet conversation.

What a game, what a race.

canleakid
05-05-2011, 01:51 PM
By early Friday morning before early betting opens at 9:30 a.m we should know if Mo will show up for the Derby :confused:

elysiantraveller
05-05-2011, 02:08 PM
What a joke...

Repole comments on scratch (http://www1.drf.com/video/RepoleFB.html)

andymays
05-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Repole: 'Committee' to Decide on Mo's Status | BloodHorse.com

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62875/repole-committee-to-decide-on-mos-status

Radar
05-05-2011, 03:10 PM
It is obvious that the horse has lost a lot since 2. Many two year olds fail to progress any further and others mature. I hope Mo runs so that I get a better price on what I favour.....selfish but realistic.

TommyCh
05-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Even if he's recovered from the "infection," isn't he a toss anyway? He's most probably out of shape and the distance would be a problem even if he was in top shape. And you would think they could do a blood test to see how his system is doing. Uncle Mo's, not Repole's. Repole might need his head examined.

toussaud
05-05-2011, 03:31 PM
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/west_points/2011/05/mo-than-enough-of-repole.html

sonnyp
05-05-2011, 03:50 PM
as a trainer, as difficult as situations with the actual horse can become, they pale when conpared to dealing with the owners.

when i see guys like mike repole, as much as i miss the action and the backstretch, i don't regret getting out one bit.

andymays
05-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Bob Baffert isn't buying Uncle Mo's supposed stomach troubles - baltimoresun.com

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/preakness-insider-blog/bal-baffert-questions-uncle-mo-sickness-20110505,0,7821163.story

Excerpt:

But Baffert still couldn't resist saying a few things people may deem controversial, including that he isn't quite buying the mysterious gastrointestinal illness that has supposedly stricken Uncle Mo in recent weeks. Uncle Mo, the Todd Pletcher-trained colt who was an undefeated juvenile champion, is still not guaranteed to run Saturday.

"Uncle Mo looks fantastic out there to me," Baffert said. "He's the best horse in the race. I don't care what rumors you hear. You can't throw him out. He's looked great to me. Everyone is talking about him being 50/50. I think [owner Mike Repole] is just trying to build a price for himself because it sounds like he likes to gamble. He's going to be dangerous. I don't think it's some [gastrointestinal issue], I think he just got tired at the Wood [Memorial]. From what I've seen visually, there is nothing there that tells me the horse isn't ready to run. I'm not buying that crap. He's just trying to steal this race."

Bruddah
05-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Bob Baffert isn't buying Uncle Mo's supposed stomach troubles - baltimoresun.com

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/preakness-insider-blog/bal-baffert-questions-uncle-mo-sickness-20110505,0,7821163.story

Excerpt:

But Baffert still couldn't resist saying a few things people may deem controversial, including that he isn't quite buying the mysterious gastrointestinal illness that has supposedly stricken Uncle Mo in recent weeks. Uncle Mo, the Todd Pletcher-trained colt who was an undefeated juvenile champion, is still not guaranteed to run Saturday.

"Uncle Mo looks fantastic out there to me," Baffert said. "He's the best horse in the race. I don't care what rumors you hear. You can't throw him out. He's looked great to me. Everyone is talking about him being 50/50. I think [owner Mike Repole] is just trying to build a price for himself because it sounds like he likes to gamble. He's going to be dangerous. I don't think it's some [gastrointestinal issue], I think he just got tired at the Wood [Memorial]. From what I've seen visually, there is nothing there that tells me the horse isn't ready to run. I'm not buying that crap. He's just trying to steal this race."

Hey Senortout, seems as if Bob Baffert and I are on the same wave length. Whether we are right or wrong, is a matter of interpretation. If the horse runs, Baffert and I will be correct. If the horse scratches you will be correct.

By the way, there is always plenty of gamesmanship when it comes to running in the Derby. Baffert seems to be doing a little with his "smack mouth". That's all my post was intimating.

Shelby
05-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Hmmmm...maybe Mr. Baffert is doing a little reverse psychology to get a bigger price on his horse. :D;)

Bruddah
05-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I'll take a Diet Coke with my "Humble" pie.

Time to reopen this thread and admit Bob Baffert and I were wrong. To all of those on the opposite side of the Uncle Mo saga, ya'll were right and I was wrong. When it comes to my poor analysis of his situation, all I can say to straighten out my error in handicapping is NEVER MIND! ;)

Good luck to all with your bets. :ThmbUp: