PDA

View Full Version : Never let the facts put you off

Native Texan III
05-02-2011, 12:42 PM
"The British media hasn’t picked up on the tale of Republican Senator Jon Kyl who during budget debates in the US Senate earlier this month about the healthcare provider Planned Parenthood, claimed that providing abortions is “well over 90 per cent of what Planned Parenthood does”.

When it was pointed out to Kyl’s office that in fact over 90 per cent of the organisation’s work is in providing screening, contraception and treatment for STDs, and only 3 per cent is abortions, his spokesman said that the Senator’s remark “was not intended to be a factual statement”.

That’s got to be one of the most barefaced defences yet for a simple untruth. Senator Kyl blamed his spokesman, who admitted that his defence of his boss “made no sense”.

Kyl has recently announced he won’t be standing again. Meanwhile he’s changed the text of his speech in the Congressional Record to read: "If you want an abortion you go to Planned Parenthood and that is what Planned Parenthood does". That’s not what he said. Nor is it really factual. But I don’t suppose it is intended to be.

There’s an account (http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/10460/)of the Kyl saga on Spiked which is worth reading. But an attack on a politician loses a bit of its sting if you can’t spell his name right. On Spiked, he’s Kyle. And that’s not factual. "

http://www.straightstatistics.org/blog/2011/04/29/never-let-facts-put-you

Robert Goren
05-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Jon Kyl (R-AZ) who I rant and rave about all the time here has never let the facts get in the way of pushing his beliefs on the rest of us. He has also claimed that internet gambling is used to fund terrorists during the hearings to confirm GWB's last AG.

cj's dad
05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Reprinting an entire article is a bit over the top don't you think ??

bigmack
05-02-2011, 02:37 PM
only 3 per cent is abortions
Don't tell me you're gullible enough to believe that?