PDA

View Full Version : Tomlinson

Smarty Cide
05-01-2011, 05:35 PM
how much stock do you put in the tomlinson number? how is it even computed?

Plain Steve
05-01-2011, 06:43 PM
This year is the first I've ever heard of it and if I read the DRF correctly, horses have different Tomlinson numbers on wet tracks. So my answer in a word is zero.
Dr. Steven Roman's fine site, www.chef-de-race.com (http://www.chef-de-race.com) lists each horse's Dosage Index, Center of Distribution and complete Dosage Profile, along with a complete primer on Dosage and an explanation of the guidelines.

I'm also beginning to have my doubts about these Beyer figures also. Horses run huge Beyers in cheap company, then step up and get crushed. In normal handicapping situations I'm more interested in how much money horses ran for than what their Beyer was.

Tom
05-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Of course they have different numbers for off tracks.
That is the whole idea.

Smarty Cide
05-02-2011, 11:43 AM
is it correct that both teh dosage index and tomlinson number are used to measure a horses ability to go long distances? and you want a high tomlinson number and low dosage index, correct?

what would make a horse have a high tomlinson and high dosage since they go hand and hand?

cj
05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
is it correct that both teh dosage index and tomlinson number are used to measure a horses ability to go long distances? and you want a high tomlinson number and low dosage index, correct?

what would make a horse have a high tomlinson and high dosage since they go hand and hand?

There are three different Tomlinson numbers. One is for Turf, one is for Off Track, and one is for Distance. The higher, the better. Since they aren't calculated the same as Dosage, I'm sure there are times where the two seem to disagree.