PDA

View Full Version : Cmon Vic, your eyes arent THAT good! (sir ed)

Zippy Chippy
04-30-2011, 05:19 PM
:lol: Sir Ed kinda hanging and Magic Spirit makes a lunge at wire.

VIC

"Magic spirit makes a late lunge but I think sir ed hung on" confidently said.

I had a big ticket on ed and thought the 1 beat me and Vic was wrong.

They put up sir ed and when the showed the photo it couldn't have been an 1/8 of an inch. Are those magic glasses?

cj
04-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Creative redboarding at its finest! :lol:

Zippy Chippy
04-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Creative redboarding at its finest! :lol:

Ha unfortunately the only ticket I will cash as usual. And big for me is the mid 2 figures

Stillriledup
04-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Vic is a very talented photo caller. WTG Vic!

Zippy Chippy
04-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Vic is a very talented photo caller. WTG Vic!

I agree. Hate when a horse wins by a head and the announcer says"very close photo"

cj
04-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Ha unfortunately the only ticket I will cash as usual. And big for me is the mid 2 figures

I hope you realize I was joking. I use an emoticon about once every 7000 posts, so when I use one I want it to count!

Stillriledup
04-30-2011, 05:35 PM
I agree. Hate when a horse wins by a head and the announcer says"very close photo"

This is the one great things about Vic, even if its really close he'll still give it the old college try.

Zippy Chippy
04-30-2011, 05:38 PM
I hope you realize I was joking. I use an emoticon about once every 7000 posts, so when I use one I want it to count!

Lol I know. Wait if Farley star got up I got 2 winnas

bdownes
04-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Zippy... Some announcer booths are poorly positioned in relation to the finish line. Announcers get crucified when they make the wrong photo call. Also in general, if the horses are far apart (more than a couple of paths) then it makes it even more diffucult to make the call with any confidence.

Zippy Chippy
04-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Zippy... Some announcer booths are poorly positioned in relation to the finish line. Announcers get crucified when they make the wrong photo call. Also in general, if the horses are far apart (more than a couple of paths) then it makes it even more diffucult to make the call with any confidence.

Ya I hear ya. Sometimes I take it for granted when im sitting right in front of tv

bigmack
04-30-2011, 05:44 PM
I know you & tlg and a few others are devoutly anti-emoticon. Do y'all resent them because people overuse them or is it some highbrow thing?

TimesTheyRAChangin
04-30-2011, 06:04 PM
I know you & tlg and a few others are devoutly anti-emoticon. Do y'all resent them because people overuse them or is it some highbrow thing?

They're made for the female persuassion!

cj
04-30-2011, 06:53 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, I just don't like using them. I don't know why, I just don't.

GameTheory
04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
I know you & tlg and a few others are devoutly anti-emoticon. Do y'all resent them because people overuse them or is it some highbrow thing?Cause it is like talking and doing mime simultaneously.

Tom
04-30-2011, 07:18 PM
A mime is a terrible thing to waste.

bigmack
04-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Cause it is like talking and doing mime simultaneously.
Well put.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/mime.png

Zippy Chippy
04-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Is there a way to get that photo pic? Im still laughing about how sure he was. The photo is as close to a DH as u can get

cj
04-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Is there a way to get that photo pic? Im still laughing about how sure he was. The photo is as close to a DH as u can get

It will be here eventually:

http://hollywoodpark.com/racing-photo-finishes

cj
04-30-2011, 08:11 PM
But if you are impatient, here you go:

http://www.pacefigures.com/images/holphoto.jpg

Zippy Chippy
04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
But if you are impatient, here you go:

http://www.pacefigures.com/images/holphoto.jpg

Haha, thanks.. Can't wait to see what Vic says. Thats damn close! That was one of the most deceiving finishes as far as a photo goes that you'll ever see. They bobbed heads oppositely. It was a weird finish. So hard to tell

v j stauffer
05-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Haha, thanks.. Can't wait to see what Vic says. Thats damn close! That was one of the most deceiving finishes as far as a photo goes that you'll ever see. They bobbed heads oppositely. It was a weird finish. So hard to tell

If I thought it was that close I'd probably have chickened out. The inside horse got the ULTIMATE bob. When I watched the replay I was leaning, praying and kicken myself. When the number came up I said to the stewards " See I knew it all the way. Easy call. ;)

Bill's post about the positioning of the announcers booth is a good one. Obviously directly on the finish line would be great. Those booths are very rare. Of course photo finish has to be there. Then at most tracks the stewards also get dibs. At Hollywood my booth is about 15 feet before the finish line. Not too bad. I've seen alot tougher. Over the years I've gotten used to my location and usually get it right. Not always. I have fun trying to call dead heats. I'll only take a couple shots a meet because the placing judges hate it. I've hit a couple over the years.

Canarsie
05-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Vic how hard is it to call a photo for show if there's one for win also? You are by far the best at calling them, it's no contest.

The one thing I despise is when an announcer says "you make the call". I rather he or she state "too close to call".

I know the announcers booth at Chester is in a horrible location and it's next to impossible to call a tight photo there.

Greyfox
05-01-2011, 10:29 AM
At the major Southern California tracks:

If you are watching a simulcast on a TV Monitor, close calls invariably go to the outside horse. The TV camera often makes it appear that an inside horse won, but the photo usually favors the outside runner if it's close.

Exotic1
05-01-2011, 10:35 AM
If I thought it was that close I'd probably have chickened out. The inside horse got the ULTIMATE bob. When I watched the replay I was leaning, praying and kicken myself. When the number came up I said to the stewards " See I knew it all the way. Easy call. ;)

Bill's post about the positioning of the announcers booth is a good one. Obviously directly on the finish line would be great. Those booths are very rare. Of course photo finish has to be there. Then at most tracks the stewards also get dibs. At Hollywood my booth is about 15 feet before the finish line. Not too bad. I've seen alot tougher. Over the years I've gotten used to my location and usually get it right. Not always. I have fun trying to call dead heats. I'll only take a couple shots a meet because the placing judges hate it. I've hit a couple over the years.

I think I heard you say during the live call that the :5: won by "half a head" and I started to adjust my monitor.

BTW, I think you're doing a really great job.

v j stauffer
05-01-2011, 11:19 PM
I think I heard you say during the live call that the :5: won by "half a head" and I started to adjust my monitor.

BTW, I think you're doing a really great job.

I said exactly that. That's how it looked live. Watching the head bob on the replay made me realize it was very much closer than I first thought.

Thanks for the props.