PDA

View Full Version : The Royal Wedding.

BlueShoe
04-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Perhaps it is just me, it could be that I am just too old and cynical to appreciate what I consider useless displays of pagentry and ceremony, but find the almost nonstop hoopla in the media leading up to it a total bore. Cannot avoid it if a radio, tv, or internet news site is turned on. Here in SoCal a few stations are starting programming at 9:00 PM PDT, with full coverage starting at midnight! About the only stations not airing some mention of it are TVG, and the sports and movie channels. My main thought is just how much is all this costing the Brits? I mean, couldnt they have just had a quiet little wedding in a small chapel with only a few close friends and relatives attending? Royalty is obsolete and virtually powerless in the modern world, so why all the fuss? Now, I realize that the female members of the forum, and the wives of members, will likely find the day exciting and interesting, but have to think that there are a few other old war horses here that share my sentiments. All in all, just find that the Royal Wedding is just a royal bloody pain in the arse for much of the rest of the world, and most surely, for many Brits.

sonnyp
04-28-2011, 03:45 PM
didn't want to start a thread but couldn't agree more.

the world's in turmoil, half of it lives in poverty and squaller, actually starvation and they have the nerve to put on this production ?

JOKE

http://youtu.be/h9qCLPkRYGk

FantasticDan
04-28-2011, 03:49 PM
the world's in turmoil, half of it lives in poverty and squaller, actually starvation and they have the neve to put on this production ?
JOKEI agree.. the Queen should've just booked them a coach ticket and sent them to Vegas..

http://the-weddingvendors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/las-vegas-chapel-weddings-2.jpg

:rolleyes:

rastajenk
04-28-2011, 04:51 PM
have to think that there are a few other old war horses here that share my sentiments. Amen, brother, to paraphrase one of the forum's other contributors. Wife's getting in to it; it's just sliding off me like Teflon. No use for it at all. Along these philosophical lines is why I avoid the big Dubai races every March.

Grits
04-28-2011, 09:57 PM
I can only speak for one woman.

When it comes to the Royals, they don't interest me much. There's only one thing about them I have a fondness for . . . their jewelry. Damn, have they got some fine jewels or what!!!

As far as William and Kate--get married, tonight, PLEASE. For heaven sake, who cares, you've already been playing house for two years!

I mean, damn, what's the point in spending 120 million of your parent's money, and Lord knows how much of England's? Don't even wait 12 more hours. You're all I've seen on TV for weeks, I'm tired of all of you. I'm really sick of the twittering, giggly, English female news staffers that have reported, incessently, about the two of you and your "big day." I'm tired of the entire world media hovering and groveling over your every single move including every outlet on the North American continent.

And the dress? I don't care about that either. Just PLEASE make up for the ugliness of the one Diana wore. For a woman who became a true fashion icon, Diana, wore the ugliest wedding gown I've ever seen on a woman in my life. My own was prettier. A 110lb woman in a dress that looked to weigh more than she did.

I hope they love one another madly. Forever. Bookmakers will probably be taking action on its success--the marriage, that is--right up 'til she goes postward.

Which does remind me of one other thing--big IF here--if I were to wake up to see ANY of it, it would be the horses. The precision, the color, the grandness of the riders and their horses--now that part is fascinating. They are incredibly beautiful.

The horses, indeed, those I should like to see, my chaps.:lol:

Forget the rest, I JUST DON'T CARE. :sleeping:

Valuist
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Imagine if we had the royal wedding here. How would it be different? Corporate sponsorships!

The Royal Wedding sponsored by Bud Lite or
The Tostitos Royal Wedding at the Rose Bowl
The Ring Presentation brought to you by Bed Bath & Beyond. Kate's dress would have more logos than any car at Daytona.

You could even get the bride and groom involved in a couple commercials. Imagine William, twitching nervously at the altar....the announcer comes in "wanna get away? Fly Southwest nonstop to Newark."

Kate could get her ad also. Kate Middleton, you just married into royalty....what are you gonna do now? "I'm going straight to Disney World!"

horses4courses
04-28-2011, 10:25 PM
The Brit bookies have opened up as many as 56 betting markets involving Friday's Royal Wedding. They are marketing it cleverly, too, aiming at bored males with cellphones who have to sit through the proceedings.
Their pitch: "If you have to sit through it, you might as well make some money while you're at it!"

Here's a link to some of the betting:

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/other-specials

Enjoy!

Native Texan III
04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
UK Royalty earns UK £500m net each and every year and opens doors worldwide to the real decision makers. It is very much alive and a system envied worldwide if the estimated 2 Billion tv viewers is anything to go by. I don't think USA is even capable of organizing a State event on that scale.

As far as the wedding goes another huge boost to UK income, less the security cost:
Royal wedding gives £2bn boost to UK tourism

• Honeymoon effect may bring extra 4m visitors
• Taxpayers foot £7m bill for security operation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/29/royal-wedding-tourism-boost

fast4522
04-29-2011, 07:40 PM
I think there is absolutely nothing worthwhile about the dog and pony show the royals put on and call it a wedding. I wish these two young people happiness for sure, but think they are the very same country we correctly sent packing when our country began for the right reasons.

Greyfox
04-29-2011, 08:21 PM
In a world with negative news every day, tornados, earth quakes, nuclear meltdowns and wars, it is a very positive event and a great stimulus for Britain's economy.
Yes, it's all pomp and pageantry- but it has a history that goes back a long way.
Yes, they are all born with silver spoons in their mouths - but I wouldn't trade them places for one minute. Not one minute. They are under the microscope from the cradle to the grave mostly living meaningless lives.
The Queen herself though has a very tough job. She has a lot of symbolic tasks to perform, correspondence to write and so on - daily.
For the most part she's done well in spite of her husband Phillip and their offspring.
Once she passes, there will be pressure to dismantle the Monarchy.
Did I stay up and watch it? Absolutely not.
But it was a positive news event.

trackrat59
04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
I have a few thoughts I would like to share about this topic from my female point of view.

The royal family is an outdated concept. What's the point in this day and age? I understand it's an important part of England's history. It just seems like a concept that has past it's time. I wonder how you would go about firing a royal family?

I lived in England for a few years back in the 80's. I arrived over there 2 months before Diana married Prince Charles. I have to admit it was pretty cool to be over there at the time.

I do feel very sorry for the people living in England who have to foot the bill for all this crap.

You can't wear a hot wedding dress if you're getting married in Westminster Abbey. Kate's dress was ok but boring. On that note, I suggest checking out a Pnina Tornai wedding gown. Now if it were me, I would let everyone think I'm having one of those stuffy English designers make my gown and then show up in one of Pnina's hottest numbers.

Like this one for instance.

http://www.projectwedding.com/wedding-dresses/designer/pnina-tornai/043?offset=32

I'm happy for William and Kate. They seem to be very deeply in love. I just wish William's mum could have been there today to see her son get married.

Tom
04-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Yeah, he did his Mom proud today.
And he only wore medals he earned, not inherited.
Classy kid.

In honor of the big day, I understand Camila ran third in the the feature at Ascot.

Greyfox
04-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Yeah, he did his Mom proud today.
And he only wore medals he earned, not inherited.
Classy kid.

In honor of the big day, I understand Camila ran third in the the feature at Ascot.

:lol: Brilliant. (Eventhough I've bolded your comment, I'll leave it to others to figure out why.) :lol:

JustRalph
04-30-2011, 01:08 AM
great line Tom

plainolebill
04-30-2011, 03:54 AM
I watched a few clips on the internet and enjoyed the scene. It's nice to see so many people celebrating a positive moment. It has a lot of history behind it as greyfox said. Those military units, the Coldstream Guard, the Horse Guard, etc. go back hundreds of years.

Bettowin
04-30-2011, 04:00 AM
Was Harry really fathered by Charles? The security guy is my suspect and I want to see a real DNA test.

Grits
04-30-2011, 09:22 AM
I did wake early, as always, around 6:30 to 7 a.m. So, I DID see part of the wedding. And I loved the horses . . . and knew I would. So spirited moving alongside the carriage; while others, handling the mass of humanity in front of the palace, had nerves of steel.

Trackrat, I don't agree with you about Kate's wedding gown. I didn't think it was boring in any way. The neckline, the lace, but most of all--the fit. It was incredible; it was as sensuous as anything I've ever seen on a woman..

Maybe its my age . . . . always been a believer in what one can't see can be far more interesting than what one can.

Leave some anticipation, leave some wonder. To do so is never boring.

She did so, while evoking class, in the finest sense of the word. And everyone in the world watching, including her new husband, knew it. She moved like it, she looked like it. A happy, a confident woman . . . there's nothing prettier.