PDA

View Full Version : No Power-up

raybo
04-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Ok, you hardware gurus, we lost house power the other day and my computer shut down. Now it won't power up. There's a green lite flashing on the back just below the power plug. I have 120v coming in but the light on the power button doesn't even come on. Fans don't run, nothing. Does it sound like the power supply is fried?

DJofSD
04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
There might be a reset button near the receptacle for the AC power cord. If there is usually is a little red button -- try pushing that, if one's there.

Elsewise, yes, it does appear the PS is a goner. Sorry.

Not to rub salt in the wound but get a good isolator. I have battery based UPS which also offer a large degree of surge/spike protection. And, when there are electrical storms even forecast, I unplug all of my equipment from the power grid. Having lost a piece of very expensive audio equipment many years ago, I learned my lesson.

plainolebill
04-29-2011, 03:33 AM
I've had computers that I needed to unplug for 20-30 seconds or turn the power switch off/on for them to reset themselves. Worth a try if you don't have an actual reset button.

raybo
04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
My machine has no reset button.

I did unplug it for a while, thinking that might reset it once plugged back in. That didn't have any affect.

Trying not to have to take it to a repair shop, but running out of ideas.

Canarsie
04-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Maybe this will help you good luck.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/troubleshooting-pc-power-supplies/1046820

Powers supplies are fairly cheap and real easy to replace most times. How old is the computer and did it display any symptoms like restarting by itself before it went dead?

Is the light on the motherboard?

cj
04-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Power supply definitely falls in the DIY category.

bigmack
04-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Power supply definitely falls in the DIY category.
Sure 'nuff does. Zip, bang, boom, a new power supply & ^ou're back in bidness.

raybo
04-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I figure it's the PS, no fans, no LEDs, only activity is a blinking green lite on the PS just below the plug (it's supposed to be solid).

Guess I'll buy a new PS and install it, they're only about $30 or so.

098poi
04-29-2011, 09:37 PM
If it is the P/S that is the best scenario. A motherboard or processor might make it cost prohibitive to fix.

fast4522
04-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Don't take this wrong, all things remaining equal they still put a few fuses in junk made in china? Not that your computer is junk Raybo, just china.

raybo
04-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Don't take this wrong, all things remaining equal they still put a few fuses in junk made in china? Not that your computer is junk Raybo, just china.

Would they be inside the PS?

fast4522
04-30-2011, 08:55 AM
in the days of American made or maybe not so American made there were fuse holders. Don't see many of them any more, thank you china. I have not looked at mine to see. Had a HP scanner work great for 5 years (made in china), then fail, opened it up and there was a fuse soldered inline. I replaced the fuse and that scanner still works today. Take from this what you can, but don't go to a repair shop for a $129 fuse.
Steve

fast4522
05-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Just curious, what was the extent of the damage fuse or supply?

raybo
05-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Just curious, what was the extent of the damage fuse or supply?

There is no fuse, I have a power supply coming in the mail tomorrow. I'm about 90% sure that's the problem.

raybo
05-11-2011, 11:07 PM
There is no fuse, I have a power supply coming in the mail tomorrow. I'm about 90% sure that's the problem.

Just updating my former dilemma. It was, in fact, the power supply, as most here suggested. I found a 400 watt, with SATA connectors, on Amazon for $10.99 and free 2 day shipping. My machine had a 250 watt before, and the new one got it going again, no muss, no fuss!

Thanks to all who responded!

I also picked up an 80GB USB external, pocket sized, harddrive for $29.99, from the same company. I immediately backed up all my important stuff, like several special versions of AllData, as well as a couple versions of AllDatabase, and all my Bris files. I thought I'd lost a lot of that stuff when the machine crapped out.

DJofSD
05-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Good job.

While I never had any of my own PC's have power supply problems, I have seen many PCs with them. My own personal theory as to why I'm lucky while others are not is this: I run all of my electronics with battery based UPS devices that offer an additional level of surge/spike protection. While it is true that electonics will eventually fail, I believe that spikes coming in from the power grid will stress out power supplies, hastening their demise, if not actually causing a failure outright. What I use cost in the hundreds of dollars. And, they do eventually need to have a battery replace every 4 years, give or take. I find the peace of mind and added layer of functionality is worth it.