PDA

View Full Version : Larry Collmus new TC voice

duncan04
04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Larry Collmus is the new voice of the Triple Crown :ThmbUp:

http://www.drf.com/news/larry-collmus-replace-tom-durkin-triple-crown-announcer

rastajenk
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
:ThmbUp: I agree with that. Good choice.

Bettowin
04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I like the guy at Turf Paradise.

jelly
04-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Good choice. :ThmbUp:

Lasix67
04-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Congratulations to Larry. He is most deserving of the opportunity. I'm also excited with the announcement of the HDTV coverage of Oaks, Derby, and Preakness coverage by both Verses and NBC.

Spiderman
04-27-2011, 04:13 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Enjoyed his race calling at GP.

bigmack
04-27-2011, 04:26 PM
While he seems like a nice enough fellow, it's tough to get jazzed about Collmus. :sleeping:

Dahoss9698
04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Great choice. A clear concise call and doesn't try and force the excitement. He lets the actual races dictate that.

cj
04-27-2011, 04:42 PM
I couldn't be happier! Good lucky Larry!

ArlJim78
04-27-2011, 04:45 PM
I think he's a good caller, but not on big races. Go back and listen to some of the replays of the stretch drives of the graded stakes at GP. He is a very clear concise caller, and doesn't add much emotion. Which is fine ordinarily but for some reason the big races his way of injecting some passion is to go into what I find is a really annoying scream that to me sounds phony and like nails on a chalkboard. For big races he doesn't have the gravitas that someone like Durkin brings, or did bring anyway in his prime.

onefast99
04-27-2011, 04:51 PM
"Mywifenoseverything" and "Thewifedoesntknow" one of the funniest race calls of all time. Great choice by CD.

duncan04
04-27-2011, 04:55 PM
"Mywifenoseverything" and "Thewifedoesntknow" one of the funniest race calls of all time. Great choice by CD.

Churchill Downs didn't make the decision. NBC did

redshift1
04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Good choice

point given
04-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Boy Collmus year round now, from Gulfstream to TC to Monmouth, I'll have to tune into NYRA every now and then to relish those Durkin calls , of course fulltime during Saratoga. Congrats to ya Larry.

Beachbabe
04-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Great choice !!!!! :)

lamboguy
04-27-2011, 09:50 PM
we are very forthunate to have all great announcer's. larry is real good and one of many that deserve the job.

congrats to larry

JustRalph
04-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I couldn't be happier! Good lucky Larry!

did you know before the announcement ? just wondering..........how hard was it to keep a secret? :lol:

Kelso
04-27-2011, 11:11 PM
One of the very best in the business today. He directs his listeners' attention to the race ... not to himself. Excellent choice!

Zaf
04-28-2011, 12:05 AM
:ThmbUp: :)

Z

fmhealth
04-28-2011, 12:22 AM
NBC really missed the boat on this one. Larry does fine job on a day to day basis but lacks what I call the necessary "Calling Charisma" that separate the ordinary from the pantheon of future leaders in this field.

I'd take Mike Chamberlin (Tup) or John G. Dooley (AP & FG) as the future stars. Their calls are crisp, accurate, creative & exciting. Their turn of phrase takes the samness out of so many calls. They paint a detailed picture of what's happening & what will happen.

This could have been an inflection point in the storied history of the TC. Instead, it's the same old same old. Another missed opportunity to get new folks interested in racing.

Irish Boy
04-28-2011, 12:39 AM
NBC really missed the boat on this one. Larry does fine job on a day to day basis but lacks what I call the necessary "Calling Charisma" that separate the ordinary from the pantheon of future leaders in this field.

I'd take Mike Chamberlin (Tup) or John G. Dooley (AP & FG) as the future stars. Their calls are crisp, accurate, creative & exciting. Their turn of phrase takes the samness out of so many calls. They paint a detailed picture of what's happening & what will happen.

This could have been an inflection point in the storied history of the TC. Instead, it's the same old same old. Another missed opportunity to get new folks interested in racing.
OK, I know I just said a few hours ago that the race call was more important than many might give credit. And I think Dooley would have made a fine choice.

But did you seriously argue that if John Dooley were calling the Kentucky Derby, more new fans would be watching? Apart from people that went to high school with him and had no idea he's a race announcer, no one is going to tune in to listen to Dooley, or anyone other race caller.

As for Collmus, you know that you are going to get a competent, clear call. The only thing he lacks IMO is that "voice" that certain guys have, like Trevor and Durkin. But I'm sure he'll do a fantastic job, and then when he steps down in a few years a bunch of people will post "well, the new guy is fine, but he's no Larry Collmus."

fmhealth
04-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Irish, I should have been sharper with my primary idea. An announcer can get viewers already watching the race to perhaps become more interested in becoming more involved on a regular basis. They simply make the race more exciting by implementing the appropriate tools they have in their quiver.

The KD is perhaps the ultimate marketing experience in racing. Why not send a stunningly clear clarion call that may excite the newbies who simply tuned-in to watch the race & hopefully pick the winner. Mike Chamberlin & John G. Dooley embrace this approach. Other callers, not so much. I'd go with the best we have.

Simply one man's opinion.

Light
04-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Puts me to sleep.

samyn on the green
04-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Even the Belmont? We go from the Tom "Cadillac" Durkin to Larry "Honda Accord" Collmus. Like the Honda Accord Larry is reliable but unfortunately both the Accord and Larry are bores. Larry is the "DX" model. Larry lacks the ability to convey any sort of drama like Tom Durkin can. Tom is in a class by himself.

cj
04-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Puts me to sleep.

Funny, he said your posts do that to him. Crazy world.

JustRalph
04-28-2011, 01:12 AM

As much as I like Chamberlain, and I do very much. I think you are being a little over dramatic don't you think? An "inflection point" in the storied history of the Triple Crown? Really? Come on?

QuarterCrack
04-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Very happy for Collmus - I'm sure he'll do great in this new spot.

Southieboy
04-28-2011, 02:36 AM
Boy, based on some of the comments here, I guess if we had this forum back in the 70's you would have said that Chic Anderson wasn't good enough and lacked excitement through the races.

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2011, 02:36 AM
Even the Belmont?You can always listen to Durkin on the house feed if it bothers you that much.

The Hawk
04-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Even the Belmont? We go from the Tom "Cadillac" Durkin to Larry "Honda Accord" Collmus. Like the Honda Accord Larry is reliable but unfortunately both the Accord and Larry are bores. Larry is the "DX" model. Larry lacks the ability to convey any sort of drama like Tom Durkin can. Tom is in a class by himself.

Nobody brings drama like Durkin, that's for sure. Even if he has to create his own when the race lacks any, or by making up horses that aren't in the race, or fumbling for names in deep stretch. You want drama? Your old, once-gleaming "Cadillac" will provide it. Will he remember the horse's name? Won't he? Will he call the wrong name? Oh, DEPUTY!

You're right, he's certainly not boring like Collmus, who calls the race as it develops and gets excited only when excitement is warranted. He actually gets the names right, and doesn't give misleading information about pace.

As PA said, if you want to hear Durkin's Belmont call -- in other words, if you want a call of a race besides the one taking place on the track -- you can listen to the NYRA feed. Thankfully, that embarrassing call in last year's Belmont wasn't seen by all that many, compared with the Ky Derby.
Listen, Durkin was great. So was Dave Johnson. They're not anymore, and it's time for Durkin to go, and he knows it. Thanks Tom, and thanks for the memories.

Light
04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Funny, he said your posts do that to him. Crazy world.

The problem with your analogy is he is a paid announcer reaching thousands of people daily. I am not paid nor am I an announcer.

Prediction: Larry Colmus will not last at the job due to monotony.

cj's dad
04-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Congrats Larry; another Baltimore guy makes good.

BTW, don't let that monotony get to you; you know, 3 races a year, every year, same time, same place. Sheesh, how boring !

Light
04-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Before he went east,Colmus was the announcer at GG where he would pathetically imitate Trevor. He was a nobody and let go by management. Vic S was a nobody Nor Cal fairs caller before becoming a household name down south. Micheal Wrona was also a nobody race caller let go by GG before becoming well known and almost landing the CD announcer job. Its about being at the right place at the right time,not necessarily talent.

The Hawk
04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Before he went east,Colmus was the announcer at GG where he would pathetically imitate Trevor. He was a nobody and let go by management. Vic S was a nobody Nor Cal fairs caller before becoming a household name down south. Micheal Wrona was also a nobody race caller let go by GG before becoming well known and almost landing the CD announcer job. Its about being at the right place at the right time,not necessarily talent.

Do you think maybe Golden Gate officials are poor judges of talent?

Canarsie
04-28-2011, 03:48 PM
I think he's a great choice but here's the analogy I use.

A dozen of us are at a bar and 6 beautiful ladies walk in. We take a vote who is the prettiest and the top vote getter gets a maximum of three guys approving. There is no unanimous choice even though they are all striking.

The facts are if you really like an announcer any other choice isn't going to satisfy you. The same could go for favorite sportscaster, player, horse, and so on.

All I want is a great call that's the only thing that matters.

Sandysix
04-28-2011, 04:12 PM
While he seems like a nice enough fellow, it's tough to get jazzed about Collmus. :sleeping:

Agreed is delivery is ok, but there is nothing distinctive or cutting about his voice!

Grits
04-28-2011, 04:27 PM
More importantly, how does someone almost land a job? Any job? :rolleyes:

Light
04-28-2011, 05:08 PM
After CD announcer Luke Kruytbosch died of a heart attack, there was a try out for replacement announcer. Among the contestants for replacement was Wrona, Colmus and 3 others.

Grits
04-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Kinda like almost being Miss Universe, when you're 1st, 2nd, 3rd runner up, I guess. Bummer.

bigmack
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Kinda like almost being Miss Universe, when you're 1st, 2nd, 3rd runner up, I guess. Bummer.
Not a stretch to figure you winning a Miss PA Contest. Wait a minute. That's a capital idea.

Calenders, cups, T-shirts...The works! :ThmbUp:

Grits
04-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Not a stretch to figure you winning a Miss PA Contest. Wait a minute. That's a capital idea.

I'm gonna KKKKKIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ya when I see ya. :lol:

cj's dad
04-28-2011, 05:39 PM

Tread lightly Mack !!

cj
04-28-2011, 06:32 PM
The problem with your analogy is he is a paid announcer reaching thousands of people daily. I am not paid nor am I an announcer.

You also have the sense of humor of a gnat.

cj
04-28-2011, 06:34 PM

I'm pretty sure Collmus was not let go by Golden Gate, but chose to leave to go to Birmingham. Feel free to make things up as you go though.

Oh, wait, maybe Colmus is someone else. If so, my fault.

NTamm1215
04-28-2011, 07:26 PM

This post is so horribly inaccurate it's frightening.

rastajenk
04-28-2011, 07:48 PM
You also have the sense of humor of a gnat.That's insulting to gnats.

judd
04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
turn your sound down on a race and try to call it--very very difficult--name of horse etc :bang:

affirmedny
04-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Boy, based on some of the comments here, I guess if we had this forum back in the 70's you would have said that Chic Anderson wasn't good enough and lacked excitement through the races.

He sure made the end of this race exciting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-hCK1nBDA

Zippy Chippy
04-28-2011, 10:41 PM
He sure made the end of this race exciting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-hCK1nBDA

:lol: i can't believe ive never seen that.. brutal

Kelso
04-28-2011, 11:15 PM
The only thing he lacks IMO is that "voice" that certain guys have, like Trevor and Durkin.Your comment gave me a chuckle. "That voice" of both those announcers ... particularly Denman ... elicits immediate activation of my TV's mute button. :D

Light
04-28-2011, 11:25 PM
This post is so horribly inaccurate it's frightening.

And you know this because... Please be my guest and tell me what is so inaccurate. You think you're frightened now, what if it's real pussycat?

turninforhome10
04-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Wonder what his tag line will be?

BlueShoe
04-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Do you think maybe Golden Gate officials are poor judges of talent?
Could be. Unsure of the reasons for the departure from NorCal, but Tony Calo, now at Finger Lakes, left for some reason both BM and GG. Always liked his work, and thought he was pretty good.

affirmedny
04-29-2011, 12:24 AM
:lol: i can't believe ive never seen that.. brutal

Not only did he call the winner wrong, he called the bump wrong. I always thought "Alydar's got a lead" was his worst call until I saw this.

Light
04-29-2011, 02:11 AM
Could be. Unsure of the reasons for the departure from NorCal, but Tony Calo, now at Finger Lakes, left for some reason both BM and GG. Always liked his work, and thought he was pretty good.

In 2005 Magna felt it was in their best interest to replace Calo's calls at GG with Wrona but let Calo continue calling the races at BM. What's ironic about that is they previously let Wrona go but took him back after he showed what he could do at other venues. Calo said "I'm disappointed by the decision because I don't think my performance warranted being replaced", and eventually they phased him out enough that he went looking for work elsewhere.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-05-11/sports/17371468_1_bay-meadows-season-s-races-golden-gate-fields

So why do I know so much about GG announcers? Because it's my home track. BTW,when Colmus left GG, he went to Suffolk for a few years, not straight to the big leagues. I always felt GG management was less than fair by playing musical announcers all those years after John Gibson,their main announcer went to prison for pedophilia. It's nice to have some stability now with Wrona as their man who is much more entertaining than Colmus or Gnats for that matter.

NTamm1215
04-29-2011, 09:04 AM
And you know this because... Please be my guest and tell me what is so inaccurate. You think you're frightened now, what if it's real pussycat?

CJ told you already what was wrong about your statement on Larry Collmus. Vic Stauffer was hired at GP before "making his mark down south." Michael Wrona was calling at GG when he was asked to audition for the CD job! Did you know that Wrona called Cigar's 16th consecutive victory at Arlington? Did you know that he called Pincay's record-breaking win at Hollywood? How about Baze's record-breaking win?

You seemed to have a great deal of personal information about these guy's careers and the only thing that rang true through your entire statement was the inaccuracy of it.

cj
04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
So why do I know so much about GG announcers? Because it's my home track. BTW,when Colmus left GG, he went to Suffolk for a few years, not straight to the big leagues. I always felt GG management was less than fair by playing musical announcers all those years after John Gibson,their main announcer went to prison for pedophilia. It's nice to have some stability now with Wrona as their man who is much more entertaining than Colmus or Gnats for that matter.

Apparently you don't know as much as you think. It's Collmus, and he didn't go to Suffolk next. I already told you that.

Light
04-29-2011, 11:44 AM
CJ told you already what was wrong about your statement on Larry Collmus. Vic Stauffer was hired at GP before "making his mark down south." Michael Wrona was calling at GG when he was asked to audition for the CD job! Did you know that Wrona called Cigar's 16th consecutive victory at Arlington? Did you know that he called Pincay's record-breaking win at Hollywood? How about Baze's record-breaking win?

Your time line is factually wrong. Wrona did GG way before AP and Cigar. And yes he did Hol before that for 1 meet in 1990 then went up to GG for a few years.Read and learn something.

http://books.google.com/books?id=C_g4YJ0rTsMC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=michael+wrona&source=bl&ots=YTV5qxWseB&sig=iJOHszZQFp4zG9KPRaE6VfuuIQs&hl=en&ei=JNa6Te6SMIf4swO-q_G7BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=12&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCw#v=onepage&q=michael%20wrona&f=false

Vic S called NoCal fairs 8 years before GP

"Vic Stauffer was named track announcer at Hollywood Park. Stauffer, 41, has 16 years experience at several major racetracks, succeeded Tom Durkin as track announcer at Gulfstream Park in 2000".

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/3084/here-and-there#ixzz1KvY1ACnL

Light
04-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Apparently you don't know as much as you think. It's Collmus, and he didn't go to Suffolk next. I already told you that.

Would you believe Collmus if he told you I was right?

"I got my first full-time gig at the Birmingham Turf Club in Alabama in 1987. I called there for one year and was hired to be the announcer at Golden Gate. I called there for four years until I left to go to Boston and Suffolk Downs in 1992. I've been calling at Suffolk ever since."

http://handride.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html

Check your facts next time.

cj
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM

"I got my first full-time gig at the Birmingham Turf Club in Alabama in 1987. I called there for one year and was hired to be the announcer at Golden Gate. I called there for four years until I left to go to Boston and Suffolk Downs in 1992. I've been calling at Suffolk ever since."

If I had thought I was wrong, I would have asked him myself.
Sometimes memory fails us, it did me.

Thanks for finally spelling his name right. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Cardus
04-29-2011, 10:11 PM
This post is so horribly inaccurate it's predictable.

That's better.

cj's dad
04-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Larry had cj, my middle son, and I and one other in the booth for a call at MP several years ago- Larry is a class act. Up until then, I had never realized what a difficult job it was to call a race. thanks Larry for the opportunity to see what it takes to reach your level and congrats on your promo.

cjs' dad- you know who I am !!

Light
04-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I've proved what I said was true from black and white interviews with Collmas himself. And I actually lived through everything I said in real life. Yet CJ cannot admit he was wrong,nor provide links as I did to prove otherwise. On top of that some posters try to look as stupid as possible by trying to back him up.

This board has repeatedly shown that truth and facts takes a back seat to who is doing the talking. I really don't care if people choose to be stupid or biased,that's their choice. But when you put the facts in front of their face and they continue denying the truth, you realize it isn't really about the facts,it's about them. So there is no point of continuing this dialogue. Go ahead and deny the truth because your ego's are extremely sensitive and fragile. I can only have sympathy for your condition.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
This board has repeatedly shown that truth and facts takes a back seat to who is doing the talking.Sounds no different than real life, wouldn't you say?

Or is it just one giant conspiracy against you? :lol:

cj
04-30-2011, 12:46 PM
I've proved what I said was true from black and white interviews with Collmas himself. And I actually lived through everything I said in real life. Yet CJ cannot admit he was wrong,nor provide links as I did to prove otherwise. On top of that some posters try to look as stupid as possible by trying to back him up.

This board has repeatedly shown that truth and facts takes a back seat to who is doing the talking. I really don't care if people choose to be stupid or biased,that's their choice. But when you put the facts in front of their face and they continue denying the truth, you realize it isn't really about the facts,it's about them. So there is no point of continuing this dialogue. Go ahead and deny the truth because your ego's are extremely sensitive and fragile. I can only have sympathy for your condition.

WTF are you talking about? I did admit I was wrong. I realize you can't spell, but I thought you could read.

If I had thought I was wrong, I would have asked him myself.
Sometimes memory fails us, it did me.

Could it be any clearer than that? Thanks for proving you are an asshole though.

rastajenk
04-30-2011, 03:42 PM
"Facts are stupid things."

What exactly is your point, Lightness? So you got Collmus' biographical timeline right...so what? It's a great leap from there to "Collmus is an untalented bum unworthy of any more career advancements." Did I summarize your point accurately?

Grits was right. There's a wide variety of pompous arrogant buttheads on display here...lord knows racing attracts 'em...but you're in a class by yourself when it comes to stroking your own ego at the expense of others. :rolleyes:

andtheyreoff
04-30-2011, 04:04 PM
"Facts are stupid things."

What exactly is your point, Lightness? So you got Collmus' biographical timeline right...so what? It's a great leap from there to "Collmus is an untalented bum unworthy of any more career advancements." Did I summarize your point accurately?

Grits was right. There's a wide variety of pompous arrogant buttheads on display here...lord knows racing attracts 'em...but you're in a class by yourself when it comes to stroking your own ego at the expense of others. :rolleyes:

Just imagine what this thread would be like if Larry showed a negative return on his betting.

Light
04-30-2011, 04:32 PM
WTF are you talking about? I did admit I was wrong. I realize you can't spell, but I thought you could read.

Could it be any clearer than that? Thanks for proving you are an asshole though.

No it wasn't clear. When you said

If I had thought I was wrong, I would have asked him myself.Sometimes memory fails us, it did me.

It sounds contradictory. If you just said "Sometimes memory fails us, it did me." it would have been much clearer. And I didn't appreciate being patronized to with your last sentence:

No Mommy,that wasn't so hard (sniff). What am I? Two years old or something?

And I'm the "asshole" according to you and rastajenk? I mean who is the real asshole here? I really dont give a crap about Colmus or Collmus. I just gave my opinion on the guy that he puts me to sleep and you get in my face about it. It's my prerogative to like whoever I want to and give my opinion about it. You don't have to get so defensive about that or when I correct someone about a matter of fact.

cj
04-30-2011, 05:12 PM

It sounds contradictory. If you just said "Sometimes memory fails us, it did me." it would have been much clearer. And I didn't appreciate being patronized to with your last sentence:

And I'm the "asshole" according to you and rastajenk? I mean who is the real asshole here? I really dont give a crap about Colmus or Collmus. I just gave my opinion on the guy that he puts me to sleep and you get in my face about it. It's my prerogative to like whoever I want to and give my opinion about it. You don't have to get so defensive about that or when I correct someone about a matter of fact.

It was clear to everyone else but you apparently. I'm sorry it wasn't good enough for you. All I was saying was I could have used Google just like you, but I thought I was right so I didn't look. I then said my memory failed me. That can't be any clearer.

It is common courtesy to spell someone's name right. I realize you have a problem with anyone in the public eye the least little bit, and that is probably your clever way of demeaning them, but it is juvenile. I know you were being an ass because you then spelled it Collmas. Noboby is that stupid. It has to be intentional.

I wasn't in your face. I was making a joke. You don't like him, I do. I'm admittedly biased. I said in black and white I was wrong. You then attacked me for not doing that. Ummm, you were wrong this time. Rather than man up, you come back with a diatribe of everything but admitting you jumped the gun and didn't read what I wrote. I say what I think, and I think you are an ass. I say it here, and I'd say it in person. That is just how I am. Because of the way you went after me even though I said I made a mistake, I really don't give a shit what you appreciate.

Grits
04-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Light, let's put your quotes all in one spot, instead of spread throughout 5 pages. Here's all of them. Read each one, please, and tell everyone here, that you've "only" stated that Collmus "put you to sleep." When you've actually stated far more about him and his fellow racecallers, Stauffer and Wrona. Early on you begin with your conclusion that they were nobodies who were simply in the right place at the right time, and not necessarily talented. Yet, towards the end you concede that, somehow, through the years, they may have developed some modicum of skill, still not allowing a great deal.

I don't know any of these men, never met either one. I didn't know Collmus was from Baltimore or that he was Cj's longtime friend. Still how in the hell, do you expect others to react while you remain unknown to all, cowardly comfortable behind a keyboard, with the gall to call industry figures, nobodies without talent? Just like you've claimed of others in the past.

"Collmus puts me to sleep." Now, who raises some questions here? Who else is having some problems with fact and truth? Not to mention, namecalling and ripping folks a new one? Opening another window, I see that Cj has answered your post, but still--in all fairness this includes what you've stated in the thread. One that you've made more about you and imagined attacks on you. You've not been maligned with this, as much as you've done the maligning.

One doesn't have to diddle too much with Google to be right, being fair and honest is of greater value, Light. (Thanks for reading.)

1st quote.

Puts me to sleep.

2nd quote.

3rd quote.

4th quote.

After CD announcer Luke Kruytbosch died of a heart attack, there was a try out for replacement announcer. Among the contestants for replacement was Wrona, Colmus and 3 others.

5th quote.

6th quote.

In 2005 Magna felt it was in their best interest to replace Calo's calls at GG with Wrona but let Calo continue calling the races at BM. What's ironic about that is they previously let Wrona go but took him back after he showed what he could do at other venues. Calo said "I'm disappointed by the decision because I don't think my performance warranted being replaced", and eventually they phased him out enough that he went looking for work elsewhere.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-05-...den-gate-fields (http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-05-11/sports/17371468_1_bay-meadows-season-s-races-golden-gate-fields)

7th quote.

Your time line is factually wrong. Wrona did GG way before AP and Cigar. And yes he did Hol before that for 1 meet in 1990 then went up to GG for a few years.Read and learn something.

http://books.google.com/books?id=C_...20wrona&f=false (http://books.google.com/books?id=C_g4YJ0rTsMC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=michael+wrona&source=bl&ots=YTV5qxWseB&sig=iJOHszZQFp4zG9KPRaE6VfuuIQs&hl=en&ei=JNa6Te6SMIf4swO-q_G7BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=12&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCw#v=onepage&q=michael%20wrona&f=false)

Vic S called NoCal fairs 8 years before GP

"Vic Stauffer was named track announcer at Hollywood Park. Stauffer, 41, has 16 years experience at several major racetracks, succeeded Tom Durkin as track announcer at Gulfstream Park in 2000".

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...e#ixzz1KvY1ACnL

8th quote.

9th quote.

10th quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
If I had thought I was wrong, I would have asked him myself.Sometimes memory fails us, it did me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Light
04-30-2011, 10:08 PM
I really don't give a shit what you appreciate.

Now isn't that what you've been telling me throughout this whole thread in a subtle way? Others here also said Collmus is boring but you didn't get on their case. If you read the link I gave to Collmus's interview,you'll see him acknowledge that people think he is boring as well. If he can take it,you should be able to as well. I had no intention of saying anything else in this thread until you said a disparaging remark about me. You say you were joking,but I don't find it funny when the joke is at my expense.You turned this into another "Light" bashing with others getting on board the bandwagon. And you continue to not give a damn,yet wonder why I'm verbally responding to these insults. Are you that thick?

cj
04-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Now isn't that what you've been telling me throughout this whole thread in a subtle way? Others here also said Collmus is boring but you didn't get on their case. If you read the link I gave to Collmus's interview,you'll see him acknowledge that people think he is boring as well. If he can take it,you should be able to as well. I had no intention of saying anything else in this thread until you said a disparaging remark about me. You say you were joking,but I don't find it funny when the joke is at my expense.You turned this into another "Light" bashing with others getting on board the bandwagon. And you continue to not give a damn,yet wonder why I'm verbally responding to these insults. Are you that thick?

You started a personal attack post, and the reason you gave was 180 degrees from the truth. It had little to do with Collmus, nothing really. You were wrong, won't admit it, yet attacked me for the very same thing. Until then, I was civil.

I admitted I was wrong, what more did you want?

Light
05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm not going to get into an endless debate about who started it. This thread speaks for itself.

But I want to point out that people who deal directly with the public and get PAID for what they do are always subject to the public's criticism, and Collmus is fair game because he meets both criteria. I don't think that should come as a surprise to you,so your over sensitivity to another critic of his is uncalled for. If you know him personally,then I can understand,but still you should expect it from others,and I certainly am not the only one.

cj
05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm not going to get into an endless debate about who started it. This thread speaks for itself.

But I want to point out that people who deal directly with the public and get PAID for what they do are always subject to the public's criticism, and Collmus is fair game because he meets both criteria. I don't think that should come as a surprise to you,so your over sensitivity to another critic of his is uncalled for. If you know him personally,then I can understand,but still you should expect it from others,and I certainly am not the only one.

I do understand it, and I was fine with it. I made a joke to back up a friend. You didn't like it...too bad. You let it make you lose your cool after that.

toussaud
05-06-2011, 06:30 PM
I must say. perfect call. the fact that no one has mentioned the call, it just blends in with the race. Hope it's one of many calls he makes on the TC trail.

cj
05-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I tried to listed with an unbiased ear, and I thought it was great.

Kelso
05-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I tried to listed with an unbiased ear, and I thought it was great.Your ear didn't fool you. Outstanding job.

(I could tell, however, that he would run out of time to comfortably get in his standard "They're all in line ... they're ahff." Versus went to him a few seconds too late. He had to squeeze it in, but was on his game after the break.)

Jasonm921
05-07-2011, 12:38 AM
I must say. perfect call. the fact that no one has mentioned the call, it just blends in with the race. Hope it's one of many calls he makes on the TC trail.

that's the both good and bad of it. the call didn't stick out nor did it suck.

Some_One
05-07-2011, 12:44 AM
LC's call is available on Youtube, he made the same mistake Durkin did 2 years ago and missed Rosie coming up on the rail until mentioning from 2path -> out the horses that were coming on the outside.

Jasonm921
05-07-2011, 12:59 AM
That seems to be common at Churchill.

camourous
05-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I think Collmus tried to force excitement way too much during a race, makes too many poor calls for a horse racing fans liking...

smartybadger
05-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Hopefully people can stop saying this guy isn't good enough or exciting enough to announce the Derby...that was among the best calls I've ever heard.

Tom
05-07-2011, 06:53 PM
One thing for sure, it was better than Johnson's.

Jasonm921
05-07-2011, 06:59 PM
It was efficient but not great. NBC also didn't give him alot of volume as well.

comet52
05-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Does the wife know?

Bruddah
05-08-2011, 10:16 AM
I tried to listed with an unbiased ear, and I thought it was great.

I wouldn't say it was great, but thought it competent and professional. The NBC audio quality didn't rate at all. At the bottom. :ThmbDown:

Marshall Bennett
05-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I thought he did real well considering this was his first derby call. He'll only get better. I enjoy his race calls.