PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore's "Block"

cj's dad
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
In the 50's and 60's Baltimore's Block was known world wide for its' one of a kind entertainment. It stretched for 3-4 blocks and consisted of bars, strip clubs, etc.. Presently it has reduced to one block. It is located on East Baltimore St. about 3 blocks from the Inner Harbor. It is one of the sleaziest sections of the city. Known for drugs, prostitution, etc. it is left alone for the most part by the PD. The girls strip nude (or so I'm told); drinks are $5-$6 plus the constant hustle by the "ladies" when they are not "dancing". If you visit Baltimore, avoid at all cost.

Pictures speak louder than words:

sonnyp
04-27-2011, 02:59 PM
In the 50's and 60's Baltimore's Block was known world wide for its' one of a kind entertainment. It stretched for 3-4 blocks and consisted of bars, strip clubs, etc.. Presently it has reduced to one block. It is located on East Baltimore St. about 3 blocks from the Inner Harbor. It is one of the sleaziest sections of the city. Known for drugs, prostitution, etc. it is left alone for the most part by the PD. The girls strip nude (or so I'm told); drinks are $5-$6 plus the constant hustle by the "ladies" when they are not "dancing". If you visit Baltimore, avoid at all cost.

Pictures speak louder than words:

when i was in college, ny had 42nd street, boston had it's combat zone and baltimore had the block.

if i'm not mistaken, legendary stripper blaze starr was graduate of that school of hard knocks.

starr had a long term relationship with 1950's govenor of louisiana earl long.

ldiatone
04-27-2011, 05:24 PM
i'm comin down there cjs dad! i'll buy you a iron city at the "Jewel Box"! with a name like that how bad can it be :eek: :cool: the "Jewel Box" :D
ok a bud lite

cj's dad
04-27-2011, 08:21 PM
i'm comin down there cjs dad! i'll buy you a iron city at the "Jewel Box"! with a name like that how bad can it be :eek: :cool: the "Jewel Box" :D
ok a bud lite

You are on and my preference is a Miller lite - haven't been inside any of these places for 30 years - what I am posting is from others recounts of their experiences !!

Honest son !!

cj's dad
04-27-2011, 08:24 PM
when i was in college, ny had 42nd street, boston had it's combat zone and baltimore had the block.

if i'm not mistaken, legendary stripper blaze starr was graduate of that school of hard knocks.

starr had a long term relationship with 1950's govenor of louisiana earl long.

correctomundo- I saw her in person in the late 60's and she was quite attractive. Did you say hard knocks or knockers ? :cool:

sonnyp
04-27-2011, 08:34 PM
correctomundo- I saw her in person in the late 60's and she was quite attractive. Did you say hard knocks or knockers ? :cool:

not an ounce of silicon and she referred to them as her "money makers".

honestly, never could understand that stripper mantality. if you couldn't "be with" a woman, what the hell good is watching her ?

the word tease as in strip tease fits well. how about the young guys that go for a ton of $$$$$ on an evening of lap dances. what the hell is that ?????

cj's dad
04-27-2011, 08:45 PM
not an ounce of silicon and she referred to them as her "money makers".

honestly, never could understand that stripper mantality. if you couldn't "be with" a woman, what the hell good is watching her ?

the word tease as in strip tease fits well. how about the young guys that go for a ton of $$$$$ on an evening of lap dances. what the hell is that ?????

I agree and they are all dating steroid enhanced bouncers so the chance that you will score with these "performers" is zero to none.

cj's dad
05-27-2011, 02:09 PM
An update- I've been on this work project across the street from the Block for 2 months now. These folks I see everyday are some of the sleaziest characters I've ever seen in one place at one time. Other than the "toga tent party:rolleyes:.

I found out that a beer ranges from $6 (at most places) to $8 at the Hustler Club where they feature $15 lap dances, whatever they are.

There is a homeless shelter about 2 blocks over and many hang around here during the day. This is such a depressing place. The dancers come out for a smoke every so often and are quite unattractive. Many look like recovering or active addicts. The doormen are creepy as are the customers coming and going. If you ever visit,Baltimore, avoid this area at all costs, especially at nightfall as I've heard some scary tales of goings on here after dark.

Greyfox
05-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I found out that a beer ranges from $6 (at most places) to $8 at the Hustler Club where they feature $15 lap dances, whatever they are.

Lap dances?? You don't know?? (Doubtful)
Must be fee for use of the internet with a lap top. :rolleyes:

PhantomOnTour
05-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Soooooo, what we're saying is that some parts of town ain't what they used to be?
Not surprising...that's how it goes.

ldiatone
05-27-2011, 05:45 PM
15 for a lap dance! hell i've paid 20 sometimes 3...................er wait.
no i mean TAP dance lessons :eek:

Tom
05-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Note to self: update bucket list.

Tom
05-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I really miss this place on Baltimore........always found time for a late lunch and a couple of brewskis. Felt like I was on an episode of Homicide:Life on the Street.

cj's dad
06-02-2011, 02:39 PM
The old hangout of the Broening Hwy. UAW crowd (but you would know that) as well as the USA (united Steelworkers of America) crowd from Beth Steel-Sparrows Point. Spent many a night there after union meetings when I was a USA official.

BTW Tom, Jimmy died of cancer 10-12 years ago; the place is not the same.

cj
06-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Doesn't that Subway look a little out of place? I'm surprised they didn't send the "Undercover Boss" to that franchise!

cj's dad
06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Doesn't that Subway look a little out of place? I'm surprised they didn't send the "Undercover Boss" to that franchise!

It's run by middle easterners- they want to put black olives on everything you order.

Tom
06-02-2011, 03:05 PM
The old hangout of the Broening Hwy. UAW crowd (but you would know that) as well as the USA (united Steelworkers of America) crowd from Beth Steel-Sparrows Point. Spent many a night there after union meetings when I was a USA official.

BTW Tom, Jimmy died of cancer 10-12 years ago; the place is not the same.

The GM guys took me there once in the 90's and I kept going back. Loved the food. Last time was probably 2004-2005...when the GM plant close? I see by the Goggle maps that it has been torn down already.
I always looked forward to my Baltimore visits.

cj's dad
06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
The GM guys took me there once in the 90's and I kept going back. Loved the food. Last time was probably 2004-2005...when the GM plant close? I see by the Goggle maps that it has been torn down already. I always looked forward to my Baltimore visits.

Jimmys is still there - GM plant gone - guessing 97-98