PDA

View Full Version : http://www.nysun.com/new-york/greatest-race-fixer-of-them-all/7761/

andymays
04-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Excerpt:

Martorano: “So we hit this guy Jack Mace three or four times, for big money. Finally he calls me up. He says, look, if you’re going to do this to me, you gotta give me some real action too. See, he was big enough that he could lay off a lot of the ‘live’ action we were giving him, but why should he do it if we’re not giving him a chance to make some money, too? I understood. At least he wasn’t cutting us off, period, which is what a lot of them had already done. Mace says, if you want to keep betting the horses with me, give me some sports action too. And that’s when we started getting into the heavy stuff. We thought we were playing everybody for suckers, but what we didn’t realize is that they were sucking us in, and in the end, we’re the ones who got suckered.”

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/greatest-race-fixer-of-them-all/7761/

Excerpt:

Fat Tony, who died of a heart attack a couple of years ago, was always proud of his race-fixing abilities. He once called the New York Times all in a lather after reading a story in which another race-fixer complained how hard it was for jockeys to ensure the finish of a race. "When I was in business, we hit 99% of the races we set up," he said. "We controlled the infrastructure. If this guy can't fix the races he's trying to, he's a dump truck."

After testifying, Ciulla disappeared into the federal witness protection program as Tony Capra #his wife's maiden name# and lived in California, mostly Malibu. His wife Helen tried to claim a horse there in 1983, but regulators disallowed it when they found out she was Mrs. Fat Tony. All of this comes to mind in the wake of last week's indictment of a New York trainer, Greg Martin, and a few mobsters on charges of fixing races and talking in millions in illegal bets. None of that should be a shock.

jelly
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Andy,

Howie is talking on the subject right now on WRK0.com.

Recommend his other book about political corruption"THE BROTHERS BULGER"

I think you'll see some similarities to TOC?