PDA

View Full Version : How was it the 15th running of the Giants Causeway?

Zippy Chippy
04-24-2011, 08:31 AM
I've googled this because i dont want to be asking a dumb question, but I guess im stumped. Didn't he retire in 2001ish?

Also, what was up w/ the names of the races yesterday at Keeneland? The Scat Daddy, The Lookin at Lucky. Are these now stake races? Some of the races were Maiden races so im confused. thx

turninforhome10
04-24-2011, 09:02 AM
They are not stakes. At Keeneland they name races on the card and they will give a little trophy to the winner. The Giants Causeway was a Stake and the reason it would be the 15th running is that it used to be named something else. If you look at an ovenight it will show the names of the races. Hope this helps

Zippy Chippy
04-24-2011, 09:30 AM
They are not stakes. At Keeneland they name races on the card and they will give a little trophy to the winner. The Giants Causeway was a Stake and the reason it would be the 15th running is that it used to be named something else. If you look at an ovenight it will show the names of the races. Hope this helps

Ok thanks.

Tom
04-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Hollywood had a stakes for maidens yesterday!
I can only ask....why?

macguy
04-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Hollywood had a stakes for maidens yesterday!
I can only ask....why?

Don't remember ever seeing that before.

Can't see the difference between a Maiden Stakes and Maiden Special Weight, other than the purse is bumped up a little bit for the "Stakes" race.

Perhaps the "Maiden Stake" had entry fees. :confused:

rastajenk
04-24-2011, 01:05 PM
:D And if you won a race prepping for it, you'd be ineligible?? :confused: :D

turninforhome10
04-24-2011, 01:12 PM
And if it is your second running as there was one in there from last year you are not doing so hot.

sandpit
04-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Ok thanks.

Keeneland gets paid by farms or individuals to name all the non-claiming and non-stakes races. And in the case of Coolmore Lexington day for example, all the races are named for Coolmore stallions, part of their package deal. All these deals are done before the condition book is printed; if you have one you can see the race names in there.

Keeneland is unique in this respect, as most other tracks sell the race name right up until, and sometimes after, the races are carded. That's why you'll see a race at Churchill Downs, for example, named "Billy Bob and Betty Sue's 43rd wedding anniversary" and it will be some nickel claimer.

sandpit
04-25-2011, 10:14 PM

You're exactly right, it was the Stravinsky and before that the Spinning World, and the first year they called it the Doubledogdare.

plainolebill
04-25-2011, 10:44 PM
That was Calbred day and they've been running them for years. I can't think of why, other than needing to fill the card and (maybe) they didn't want to run Calbred 8000 claimers non-winners of 2 lifetime.