PDA

View Full Version : Ten Racing Commandments

wilderness
04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
from Dec 10, 1930 Horse Review

TEN RACING COMMANDMENTS
Copyright by
WALTER R. HEINEHAN

To all my friends, acquaintances and the Harness Horse World, I sincerely wish a NEW YEAR of more HEALTH, more PROSPERITY and more CONTENTMENT, than they have ever before known.
1.—Thou shalt not dispute the decision of the judges. They alone are in perfect alignment and do not see finishes through prejudiced eyes.
2.—Thou shalt not condemn owner, trainer or jockey because thy horse is not successful. Horses are not automatons.
3.—Thou shalt cleanse thy mind and know most crooked racing emanates in a player's mind after he has lost a wager. Especially does this apply to players who believe horses must finish according to their figures.
4.—Thou shouldst also know that cheaters in all lines never finish with anything but an unenviable reputation.
5.—If thou playest an unruly horse, do not blame the starter for any poor results.
6.—Thou shouldst know thou canst beat one race and possibly six races in one day, but thou canst not beat thirty-six or more races in six days, even though thou sleepest on the seventh day.
7.—If thou hast an opinion of thine own and playest some one's losing tip and thine own horse wins, hold thy tongue or lend thyself to ridicule.
8.—Thou shouldst remember that to be successful thou must wager as much money on a horse quoted at large odds, as thou wouldst on a favorite.
9.—Thou shouldst remember to reduce thy wagers during a change of! track owing to weather conditions, until track conditions are again normal.
10.—If thou art twenty-one years of age and in thy right mind and using thine own money, there re Is no healthier, cleaner sport than horse racing. Hospitals and jails were built for unfortunates and crooks.

Mr RACING MAN, if you are giving a HANESS or RUNNING MEETING where ,POOLS, 130OKS and MACHINES are used, do not dispose of your concession until you consult me.

References—Any Grand Circuit Secretary, also Mansfield and Marion, O.

Address
WALTER R. heineman

Winter
Vedado Park Hotel,
Vedado, Havana, Cuba

Home
54 Linden Boulevard,
Brooklyn, N. Y.

bigeastbeast
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Now,who can argue with that?