PDA

View Full Version : Wrong placings at Keeneland in Race 8 today (4/22)?

Stillriledup
04-22-2011, 05:15 PM
They're saying it was a DH for 2nd, but i don't know, watching the race live it looked like the 1 horse was clearly ahead at the wire. The mirror image doesnt seem to support that the 3 horse was in the tie for 2nd. Was i the only one who thought the 1 was a clean 2nd?

The 1 gets a great bob right on the wire and appears to be a long neck ahead of the 3.

Was i seeing things?

Sandysix
04-22-2011, 06:50 PM
The views at Keeneland are very decieving,reminds me of Del Mar many years ago where the camera in the stretch was 20 feet in front of finish line.

Stillriledup
04-22-2011, 07:09 PM
The views at Keeneland are very decieving,reminds me of Del Mar many years ago where the camera in the stretch was 20 feet in front of finish line.

I hear you, there are some really deceiving camera shots out there. They did show the mirror image on TVG and it didnt look like it was a dead heat to me. looked like they just missed this one.

Bruiser1
04-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Reminds me of a situation at Hollywood a number of years back, where shadows or distortions on a photo finish created a dead heat on a couple of horses who appeared to be separated by a head.

Stillriledup
04-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Reminds me of a situation at Hollywood a number of years back, where shadows or distortions on a photo finish created a dead heat on a couple of horses who appeared to be separated by a head.

This could be a situation where they just couldnt see the horse's nose on the wire so they made it a DH out of fairness.

BillW
04-22-2011, 09:54 PM
The photo finish camera is a much higher resolution than what can be displayed on TV or on your computer. When the picture is down converted is loses a lot in the translation so to speak. What the placing judges are looking at is much clearer than what the horseplayer sees over the track feed.

BMustang
04-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I too thought the 1 was distinctly second, and thought maybe the 8 was third.

I'll concede that I was probably wrong on the 8 horse, but rarely miss photo finish calls, and thought the 1 was distinctly second.

BMustang
04-22-2011, 10:52 PM
The photo finish camera is a much higher resolution than what can be displayed on TV or on your computer. When the picture is down converted is loses a lot in the translation so to speak. What the placing judges are looking at is much clearer than what the horseplayer sees over the track feed.
It's also a series of photos and not a single photo. Perhaps the photo selected by the placing judges was an early photo in the sequence.

johnhannibalsmith
04-22-2011, 10:56 PM
It's also a series of photos and not a single photo. Perhaps the photo selected by the placing judges was an early photo in the sequence.

It's a series of photos taken at a rate of thousands of images per second so that it appears as one image. There is no shuffling through individual photos; it's pretty cut and dried when placing horses and when it isn't cut and dried, the answer is "Dead Heat".

gillenr
04-22-2011, 11:17 PM
The amount of ignorance of photo finishes on this forum is expected. You have no clue.

johnhannibalsmith
04-22-2011, 11:26 PM
The amount of ignorance of photo finishes on this forum is expected. You have no clue.

How about enlightening me then. I admit that I only had to capture the finishes of around 1500 races and help place them and never actually designed the Lynx hardware or made a career of being the photo guy, so bringing a welterweight like me up to snuff would be appreciated.

PaceAdvantage
04-23-2011, 12:35 AM
The amount of ignorance of photo finishes on this forum is expected. You have no clue.Really...the entire forum...based on a couple of responses in this particular thread...

Priceless...

Stillriledup
04-23-2011, 01:06 AM
I too thought the 1 was distinctly second, and thought maybe the 8 was third.

I'll concede that I was probably wrong on the 8 horse, but rarely miss photo finish calls, and thought the 1 was distinctly second.

You didnt miss this one.

Tread
04-23-2011, 10:01 AM
The mirror image photo CLEARLY showed a dead-heat, have no idea what the OP is talking about. It doesn't matter what you think you saw in the live video or replays, what matters is the photo and mirror image. And if you don't see both noses on the wire in the mirror image, you need your eyes examined (and you might also be a basketball official).

Sekrah
04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
The mirror image photo CLEARLY showed a dead-heat, have no idea what the OP is talking about. It doesn't matter what you think you saw in the live video or replays, what matters is the photo and mirror image. And if you don't see both noses on the wire in the mirror image, you need your eyes examined (and you might also be a basketball official).

I seen it and thought the same thing. I have NO IDEA how anyone could be looking at the mirrior and think the 1 was clearly ahead. It was the defining image.

Grits
04-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I seen it and thought the same thing. I have NO IDEA how anyone could be looking at the mirrior and think the 1 was clearly ahead. It was the defining image.

Irish Boy "take the cake"? Don't think so. I promise . . . you've got us all beat.

You wrote: Beyer is pretty ignorant

You have concluded that Andy Beyer is pretty ignorant. Yet, you're writing the words in the photo thread . . . "I seen it."

ROTF, shaking my head . . . I am dying here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is absolutely priceless. Take it easy, don't work so hard at proving your genius. Your skill's a little wobbly.

Don't think Mr.Beyer's got too much to worry about.

Tom
04-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Hey Grits, remember the old days when we go out to the woods to find the nuts in the spring?:D

098poi
04-23-2011, 12:24 PM
I would like to know about the photo finish camera. These days do they use some high tech digital super fast frame per second camera or is it the type where the film itself moves? If someone could post the actual process which is in use today I think most would find it interesting.

Tread
04-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Hey Grits, remember the old days when we go out to the woods to find the nuts in the spring?:D

Yes, because people who type like most normaly people talk in real life are clearly crazier than black helicopter conspiracy theories about major tracks misreading photos...

http://geminiplayersclub.com/kee.bmp

Stillriledup
04-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Yes, because people who type like most normaly people talk in real life are clearly crazier than black helicopter conspiracy theories about major tracks misreading photos...

http://geminiplayersclub.com/kee.bmp

It doesnt appear that the 3's nose is on the line.

rich2463
04-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Is there any payoff for 5 of 6? 6 of 6 will pay 2-3 k. big tickets lose big time.

duncan04
04-23-2011, 07:11 PM

Are you serious?? :bang:

Tread
04-23-2011, 08:52 PM

You have a bright future as an NBA referee.

Stillriledup
04-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Are you serious?? :bang:

Sometimes! ;)

Mr_Ed
04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Is this a frog or a horse?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/secretariat3/Frogorhorse.png

PaceAdvantage
04-23-2011, 10:37 PM
It doesnt appear that the 3's nose is on the line.Well, it certainly doesn't appear that the 3's nose is NOT on the line.

How can you make any sort of call based on that pixelated screen capture from Twinspires TV?

The stewards, thankfully, have a bit of a clearer pic where they can zoom in if necessary. I can completely see where the 3's nose could be touching the line.

Mr_Ed
04-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Well, it certainly doesn't appear that the 3's nose is NOT on the line.

How can you make any sort of call based on that pixelated screen capture from Twinspires TV?

The stewards, thankfully, have a bit of a clearer pic where they can zoom in if necessary. I can completely see where the 3's nose could be touching the line.

Google Earth?:lol: