PDA

View Full Version : Do I understand the Pick6 correctly?

Dave Schwartz
04-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I am not a pick6 player. Never have been. At least not since the week back in the early '80s where I bought a single $2 ticket every day - one ticket - and hit 5 consolations in a week. None over $20.

But my question is this: " Do I understand that when a horse is scratched anyone who included that horse gets a piece of the pick 6 (instead of a refund)?"

Some_One
04-21-2011, 06:21 PM
You're switched to the post time fav

andymays
04-21-2011, 06:22 PM
WTF Dave. You know more than just about anyone when it comes to everything else and you didn't know that.

Off to night school for you! LOL :lol:

Dave Schwartz
04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
LOL - Well, I was looking at the GP pick 6 and saw too many horses. Can someone explain that to me?

And, as for WTF (LOL) I simply don't play it.

Are there any tracks where scratches in multi-race bets are treated like winners?

Dave

tbwinner
04-21-2011, 07:56 PM
LOL - Well, I was looking at the GP pick 6 and saw too many horses. Can someone explain that to me?

Are there any tracks where scratches in multi-race bets are treated like winners?

Dave

I believe in some tracks (most?) pick 3s that have already begun (i.e. scratched in the 2nd or 3rd leg after the leg has been run) are treated like winners in that leg.

andymays
04-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Dave

Night school with Jeremy Plonk for you.

I hope you know I'm kidding. ;)

green80
04-21-2011, 08:08 PM
In Louisiana when you selection scratches you get the post time favorite. Not sure if is the same everywhere.

saratoga guy
04-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately it seems like it's not possible to make a sweeping "here's how it works" statement regarding Pick bets and scratches, since the rules seem tweaked differently in different jurisdictions.

But, in NY anyway, here's how the rule is displayed on the NYRA website [relevant to scratches/changes]:

Pck 3: A late scratch, before the first leg of a Pick 3 wager, results in a refund. In the event of a late scratch after the first leg of a Pick 3 wager, a consolation payoff is distributed to bettors with winners in the other two legs of the bet.

Pick 4: In the event of a late scratch, the bettor receives the actual betting favorite.

Pick 6: In the event of a late scratch, the bettor receives the actual betting favorite. ...

Pick 4 and Pick 6 In the event that the race comes off the turf after the close of wagering, all selections in the race are guaranteed winners.

http://www.nyra.com/Aqueduct/Handicapping/NYRAWagering/NYRAWagering.shtml

Shelby
04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.gulfstreampark.com/sites/www.gulfstreampark.com/files/content/racing/racing-info/Experimental%20Rainbow%206%20Rule%20_3_.pdf

Rule 61D-7.XXX Rainbow 6
(1) The Rainbow 6 requires selection of the first place finisher in each of six
races. The entire net Rainbow 6 pool and carryover, if any, shall be distributed to
the holder of a unique wager selecting the first place finisher in each of the
selected six races. If there is no unique wager selecting the first place finisher in
all six races, the major share of the Rainbow 6 pool shall be distributed as a
single price pool to those who selected the first place finisher in the greatest
number of races. The minor share shall be added to the, or create a, jackpot
pool.
(2) Unique Wager, as used in this subsection, shall be defined as having
occurred when the total amount wagered on a winning combination selecting
the first place finisher in each of the six races is equal to the minimum allowable
wager.
(3) If a dead heat for first occurs in any of the Rainbow 6 races:
(a) For contestants representing the same betting interest, the
Rainbow 6 pool shall be distributed as if no dead heat occurred.
(b) For contestants representing two or more betting interests, the Rainbow 6 pool shall be distributed as if no dead heat occurred.
(b) For contestants representing two or more betting interests, the
Rainbow 6 pool shall be distributed as a single price pool with each winning
wager receiving an equal share.
(4) Should a betting interest in any of the Rainbow 6 races be scratched:
(a) A Rainbow 6 wager may be canceled at after leaving the teller
window and before the close of wagering if the wagering combination
included the scratched runner, even if the scratch is part of a coupled entry or
mutuel field.
(b) If the bettor does not exercise the cancellation option, the
actual favorite, as evidenced by the Win pool at the host track for the contest at the close of wagering, shall be substituted for the scratched betting interest
for all purposes, including pool calculations. If the Win pool total for two or more
favorites is identical, the substitute selection shall be the betting interest with the
lowest post position. The totalisator generated price calculation report shall
show each of the wagering combinations with the substituted betting interests
which became winners as a result of the substitution.

Dave Schwartz
04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Night school with Jeremy Plonk for you.

I hope you know I'm kidding.

Well, I am always ready to learn something new.

First thing I could learn is, "Who is Jeremy Plonk?"

Greyfox
04-22-2011, 12:14 PM
In regards to the bet going to the Post time favorite if there is a late scratch, I believe it was Jeff T? or (Jaycapper??) who suggested that when the ticket is filled out there should be a slot for alternates in the event of a scratch.
As the recent PAIHL tournament on this board has demonstrated, this suggestion makes wonderful sense.
There are many occasions when the favorite that you now have to accept is of a "false" variety. You wouldn't bet it with someone else's money.
In this day and age of electronics, the suggestion of alternate picks in the event of a scratch is the way to go.

Steve 'StatMan'
04-22-2011, 01:21 PM
There are tracks where the law is set that if a surface change occurs after the start of the first leg, then all horses in the altered leg are considered winners. However, jackpots/carryovers are not paid out on those days (unless mandatory payout day I would imagine.)

Linny
04-22-2011, 02:17 PM
In NY they declare an ALL is the track changes the surface (off the turf) after the sequence has begun.

andymays
04-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Well, I am always ready to learn something new.

First thing I could learn is, "Who is Jeremy Plonk?"

Espn and Horseplayernow.com