PDA

View Full Version : JP's Gusto might be changing trainers, again

toussaud
04-21-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/triple-crown/j-p-s-gusto-may-still-run-in-derby-possibly-change-trainers/

you have to be kidding me lol.

tribecaagent
04-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Petalino sounds like a desperate fool. If he had any dignity, he'd tell them to take their horse and get lost.

FenceBored
04-21-2011, 10:38 AM
... trainer Joe Petalino did not know where the ridgling was on Wednesday and if he would be the listed trainer for the Derby.
-- http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2011/04/20/jp-gusto-idles-in-kentucky-trainer-out-of-the-loop.aspx

Mineshaft
04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Petalino sounds like a desperate fool. If he had any dignity, he'd tell them to take their horse and get lost.

Would definetely tell them to shove there horse up there ass

Striker
04-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Rumor I am hearing is that JP is going to be with M. Stidham out east now.

Spendabuck85
04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Rumor I am hearing is that JP is going to be with M. Stidham out east now.

From drf.com:
Waken said J P’s Gusto would be trained in New York by Mike Hushion, who trains the older females Nicole H and Harissa for Waken. Hushion will be the third trainer for J P’s Gusto, who began his career last year in California with David Hofmans before being placed with Joe Petalino for three races at Oaklawn Park this spring.

http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-j-p%E2%80%99s-gusto-ruled-out

horses4courses
04-26-2011, 01:50 PM
When they took the horse away from David Hofmans, that made things pretty clear to me.
The man is an excellent trainer, and he got plenty out of that horse as a 2yo.
Touch Gold, Alphabet Soup, Balance, to name a few -
the man can flat out train, added to the fact that he is a stand-up guy.
Taking JP away from Hofmans was a dumb move, and it seems they just aren't happy anywhere.

surfdog89
04-26-2011, 02:45 PM
I second that....I agree

toussaud
06-19-2011, 01:48 PM
this is kinda messed up and in a way makes you see why some trainers do what they do

JP's gusto's old trainer, knew he had a stone cold sprinter by basically early January. the horse has never lost going 1 turn. H e's byba sprinter, out of a sprinter.

the owner, in pursuit of the triple crown dream, takes hte horse from him and gives the horse to a trainer who will do what he wants.

of course, hoffmans is right. the horse is a sprinter.

then lo and behold, last night the horse wins the most expensive 3YO sprint race in the country and now the owner has a sprinter. which is what he had all along, and what the previous trainer told him he had all along, only know the previous trainer does not get to reep the benefits of being right.

Relwob Owner
06-19-2011, 02:06 PM
this is kinda messed up and in a way makes you see why some trainers do what they do

JP's gusto's old trainer, knew he had a stone cold sprinter by basically early January. the horse has never lost going 1 turn. H e's byba sprinter, out of a sprinter.

the owner, in pursuit of the triple crown dream, takes hte horse from him and gives the horse to a trainer who will do what he wants.

then lo and behold, last night the horse wins the most expensive 3YO sprint race in the country and now the owner has a sprinter. which is what he had all along, and what the previous trainer told him he had all along, only know the previous trainer does not get to reep the benefits of being right.

A lot of stuff goes on being the scenes so you just never know.....one thing is for sure. The connections had the smarts to use a local jock(JD Acosta), rather than ship one in. A big congrats to JD

sonnyp
06-19-2011, 02:09 PM

there was a time when really wealthy owners would hire competent horsepeople and get out of the way and let them do their job.

now, as in all aspects of our society, we've got owners, agents syndicate managers etc. that all think they are, and wanna be trainers.

why continue the cherade ? why don't they just get their license and train these horses ?

and that guy who doesn't know where the horse is......he's getting just what he deserves for allowing this situation to happen with these owners.

Mineshaft
06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
there was a time when really wealthy owners would hire competent horsepeople and get out of the way and let them do their job.

now, as in all aspects of our society, we've got owners, agents syndicate managers etc. that all think they are, and wanna be trainers.

why continue the cherade ? why don't they just get their license and train these horses ?

and that guy who doesn't know where the horse is......he's getting just what he deserves for allowing this situation to happen with these owners.

Bingo we have a winner. damn that was a great post

Robert Goren
06-19-2011, 03:41 PM

It is happening because so many people have lost their shirts trusting their trainers. They figure since its their money and it going to be lost any way, they might just as well lose it themselves.

sonnyp
06-19-2011, 03:50 PM
soooooooo.......get the license and jump right in there. only problem, if you do that...who you gonna blame ?

toussaud
06-19-2011, 04:02 PM
what i don't get is what criteria are they using to hire trainers in the first place.

if you are conservative by nature you have no business sending a horse to D wayne lukas. If you are aggressive by nature why would you send a horse to the (late) Bobby frankel?

I think it would do alot of people alot of good if they did a few laps in the kiddie pool before jumping into the wave pool

sonnyp
06-19-2011, 04:16 PM
what i don't get is what criteria are they using to hire trainers in the first place.

if you are conservative by nature you have no business sending a horse to D wayne lukas. If you are aggressive by nature why would you send a horse to the (late) Bobby frankel?

I think it would do alot of people alot of good if they did a few laps in the kiddie pool before jumping into the wave pool

here's the way i've always looked at these relationships.

define what your role is going to be in the relationship. if that role is going to be an owner, find a trainer that fits your criteria......then allow him to do his (or her) job. allow him (or her) to develop the horse's program. one, individual, race should not be life and death. over a period of time, if you're not satisfied, move the horse to a trainer you think will suit you better and then, again, stay the hell out of the way.

if you see yourself as compitent, get that trainers license and make all the decisions for yourself. why would you want a middleman if you are the expert? all you need is a groom and you can call all the shots.