PDA

View Full Version : Derby undercard

LemonSoupKid
04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a glimpse at prospectives for the Derby Undercard?

Thanks.

sonnyp
04-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a glimpse at prospectives for the Derby Undercard?

Thanks.

i'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this shows you the churchill condition book and the horses that have made the payments and eligible to the stakes for fri and sat 5/6 and 5/7.

hope it helps

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownload.cfm?track=CD&area=USA

Tom
04-19-2011, 10:43 PM
An old angle I have used over the years is shippers on the under card that came in with a horse in the big race. I have hit some nice ones over the years...especially at Pimlico for the Preakness.

Fred
04-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Churchill Distaff Turf Mile S.- $200,000 added- 1 mile- 3 yo's & up fillies & mares- turf
Churchill Downs S. [G2]- $300,000 added- 7 f- 4 yo's & up - dirt
Humana Distaff S. [G1]- $300,000 added- 7 f- 4 yo's & up fillies & mares- dirt
Kentucky Derby [G1]- $2,000,000 guaranteed- 1 1/4 miles- 3 yo - dirt
Twin Spires Turf Sprint S. [G3]- $100,000 added- 5 f- 3 yo's & up - turf
Woodford Reserve Turf Classic S. [G1]- $500,000 added- 1 1/8 miles- 3 yo's & up - turf

LRL Racing
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Go to Churchill Downs and look under horsemen for Stakes and then look for the pp's for any stakes races on oaks or derby day. Of course it will show the pp's for all nominated horses so many won't enter but at least you can see their past performances.

NTamm1215
04-25-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm sure the Turf Sprint will have all the usual suspects and at least a few from the Shakertown three weeks ago at Keeneland.

Smiling Tiger and Here Comes Ben have been mentioned for the Churchill Downs Handicap.

Little Mike, Paddy O' Prado, Caracortado, and Prince Will I Am have been mentioned for the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic.

I've seen very little on the Humana Distaff but imagine Hilda's Passion will end up there. Gilded Gem for Baffert makes sense but I have no idea if she's even in CA.

Keep an eye out for the blurbs on the bottom of the DRF stories about CD and/or the Derby. There's often good info there about undercard races.

Shemp Howard
04-25-2011, 08:21 PM
No need to spend too much time. Look for the MSW 2yo race. Watch who gets the money the last 5 minutes to post and bet your lungs on it.

NTamm1215
04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
No need to spend too much time. Look for the MSW 2yo race. Watch who gets the money the last 5 minutes to post and bet your lungs on it.

Good advice. There have been a grand total of two 2YO MSW races on Derby day in the last 9 years.

eastie
04-25-2011, 11:37 PM
i guess that won't take much time then ...:rolleyes:

Valuist
04-25-2011, 11:42 PM

Why would anyone waste their time on a race with all unraced first timers?

Grits
04-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Why would anyone waste their time on a race with all unraced first timers?

I'm sorry, but this is a silly answer. How often are all MSW inclusive of only FTS in a large field? There's usually two or three that have made a prior start.

You may not like them, or know how to wager on them, but others may.

As far as value, there's plenty of it--particularly if one has knowledge of each entry's sire and dam stats, if one has good knowledge of trainer's habits, eg, what meets they point for, and if one watches the tote.

In other words, they can be a goldmine. Foolish is the player that thinks not.

Shelby
04-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I love betting on the babies.

Sometimes you can really hit a big one using the trainer/jockey percentage win stats, too.

Valuist
04-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm sorry, but this is a silly answer. How often are all MSW inclusive of only FTS in a large field? There's usually two or three that have made a prior start.

You may not like them, or know how to wager on them, but others may.

As far as value, there's plenty of it--particularly if one has knowledge of each entry's sire and dam stats, if one has good knowledge of trainer's habits, eg, what meets they point for, and if one watches the tote.

In other words, they can be a goldmine. Foolish is the player that thinks not.

First off, how many 2 YO races have been run by the first Saturday in May? Hardly any. I like to bet against overbet first timers but that doesn't really apply when all the field is firsters. Everyone has access to trainer stats so really not a lot of value there. To each their own; I prefer to put my money on races where the horses have been seen by more than just their owners and trainers.

stu
04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
First off, how many 2 YO races have been run by the first Saturday in May? Hardly any.

Counting only maiden races (ignoring the trials and stakes from Sunland), there have been 25 thoroughbred baby races in North America through 4/24/2011.

Bettowin
04-26-2011, 05:49 PM
I read somewhere today that Baffert couldn't comment on Midnight Interlude's workout because he was tending to a catastrophic injury to Gilded Gem.

Haven't seen any confirmation yet and hope it isn't true.

Edit: Sadly it is true, found an article.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110426/SPORTS08/304260057/1002/Tragedy-strikes-Bob-Baffert-barn-filly-Gilded-Gem-euthanized?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CHome%7C s

Grits
04-26-2011, 07:04 PM
First off, how many 2 YO races have been run by the first Saturday in May? Hardly any. I like to bet against overbet first timers but that doesn't really apply when all the field is firsters. Everyone has access to trainer stats so really not a lot of value there. To each their own; I prefer to put my money on races where the horses have been seen by more than just their owners and trainers.

Keep searching for value, Valuist.

Nick, or NTamm is most often correct on his stats, he's sharp as can be. I didn't say a word about betting an entire field of firsters. Actually, I said few races were inclusive to ALL FTS. Unfortunately, you missed that part.