PDA

View Full Version : Great Graham Motion article

deathandgravity
04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
"If you thought it couldn’t get any more “anti-Dutrow” than that, check out this statistic: In 17 years as a trainer, Motion, 47, has saddled close to 7,900 horses and never been cited for a medication violation." :ThmbUp:

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2011/apr/17/hemade/

Always been a big fan of Graham... especially after Better Talk Now helped me take down the P4 @ the Lone Star Park BC.

nijinski
04-19-2011, 04:38 PM
The writer was doing a good piece on Graham Motion , which he well deserves, until she through in her rants on her apparent agenda.
What good did it serve for anyone to turn it into a bash fest .

Spiderman
04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
The writer was doing a good piece on Graham Motion , which he well deserves, until she through in her rants on her apparent agenda.
What good did it serve for anyone to turn it into a bash fest .
mentioning that Dutrow, Pletcher and Asmussen had drug violations is in the context of the story. Is that the 'bashfest' you are alluding to?

Tom
04-19-2011, 09:17 PM
The shame is that those others have not been as responsible as Motion has. Their bad, not the writer's.

Best way to have people speak good about you is to deserve it.

nijinski
04-19-2011, 11:58 PM
mentioning that Dutrow, Pletcher and Asmussen had drug violations is in the context of the story. Is that the 'bashfest' you are alluding to?
Yes because the same few got singled out once again.

Marlin
04-20-2011, 12:00 AM
If I had a "real" racehorse, this man would be at the very top of my list to train.

bigmack
04-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Yes because the same few got singled out once again.
Have you heard anything over the years about their infractions?

nijinski
04-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Have you heard anything over the years about their infractions?

Yes I have .

nijinski
04-20-2011, 01:59 AM
There are lists of trainers who have infractions , some for causing late
scratches others for overages.
I am not an advocate of any of this , I am well aware though that the three
mentioned in the article are not the only trainers who medicate .

Go to the RMTC- Recent Rulings , you might even find a Hall of Fame nominee
on that list . I'm not surprised over the years he racked up a few too.

The whole point of my initial post is that you can't keep hammering the same
guys for something so widespread.

I would have enjoyed the article better if the focus was on the initial subject .
Graham Motion should be very proud of his accomplishments and the integrety
he brings to the sport , he is a fine trainer , no doubt about it.

Stillriledup
04-20-2011, 02:28 AM
There are lists of trainers who have infractions , some for causing late
scratches others for overages.
I am not an advocate of any of this , I am well aware though that the three
mentioned in the article are not the only trainers who medicate .

Go to the RMTC- Recent Rulings , you might even find a Hall of Fame nominee
on that list . I'm not surprised over the years he racked up a few too.

The whole point of my initial post is that you can't keep hammering the same
guys for something so widespread.

I would have enjoyed the article better if the focus was on the initial subject .
Graham Motion should be very proud of his accomplishments and the integrety
he brings to the sport , he is a fine trainer , no doubt about it.

I disagree. I think you make examples out of these 'same guys' and not just make a blanket statement "Well, a lot of people cheat, so i'm not going to hold anyone accountable because i dont want to single out a few trainers when a lot of others are doing it too."

This is why if you're speeding and get pulled over by a cop, he writes you a ticket even though he didnt pull over every single person doing the same speed. Its not fair that he only wrote you the ticket even though you werent the only guilty person. You getting 'singled out' for a speeding ticket will prevent others from speeding even though that its not 'fair' you got a ticket while others who did the same speed did not.

nijinski
04-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Riled , there are some similarities but it's still different.
Before I had my family PBA card yes I got ticketed and paid a fine.
I agree many speeding don't get caught . That's the same.
Those in question on the track get warnings , fines and suspensions .
The difference is I don't have to read about my infractions over and
over again . After a while you have be truthful . Most sports writers have to be aware of the amount of overages out there or they should be writing
dining review.

Stillriledup
04-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Riled , there are some similarities but it's still different.
Before I had my family PBA card yes I got ticketed and paid a fine.
I agree many speeding don't get caught . That's the same.
Those in question on the track get warnings , fines and suspensions .
The difference is I don't have to read about my infractions over and
over again . After a while you have be truthful . Most sports writers have to be aware of the amount of overages out there or they should be writing
dining review.

I just think that we need to get rid of the cheats, even if it means singling out a few bad apples and constantly talking about them being bad for the game. Most of us want a clean game and i dont think too many of us are concerned that a few cheaters are being singled out. If Dutrow and a few of the other 'usual suspects' dont want to be constantly written about, they should stop breaking the rules.

nijinski
04-20-2011, 03:32 AM
No argument on cleaning things up , not an easy job , there will always
be arguments on what is reasonable and therapeutic and not abusive. Even Vets are not in agreement . We can only hope , but don't hold your breath.

bigmack
04-20-2011, 03:38 AM
The mere notion of cheating in this game is preposterous.

That said, sometimes it flows in your direction and other times against.

So who is anyone to rock a boat so volatile?

thaskalos
04-20-2011, 03:42 AM

So who is anyone to rock a boat so volatile? Funny guy...

Fastracehorse
04-20-2011, 05:20 AM

So who is anyone to rock a boat so volatile?

.........because a trainer has no violations doesn't mean he hasn't used. Say Dutrow tested positive for 1 % of his charges..........do you get the point?

fffastt

Stillriledup
05-23-2013, 03:17 AM
Motion is on fire these days, he's running Presque Isle and had an easy winner at Belmont yesterday. All is well in the H Motion barn these days!

wiffleball whizz
05-23-2013, 04:07 AM
To be honest never was familiar with motion until animal kingdom....when he got beat by shakleford he handled it with total class.....if I owned a good horse I'd either want motion or matz training my horses....First class guys in racing...if people acted like those guys maybe this game would be on the right track!!!

pandy
05-23-2013, 06:42 AM
Another top trainer with no positives is Christopher Clement. Also The Chief, Allen Jerkens, a Hall of Famer. There are real trainers out there who actually know what they're doing and don't need the juice.

lamboguy
05-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Lou Ruberto is as good a trainer as i have ever met in my life. no drugs and 44% win rate.

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Lou Ruberto is as good a trainer as i have ever met in my life. no drugs and 44% win rate.Ummm...ok...44% win rate...you're going to have a tough time convincing people that's a legit number...

Leparoux
05-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Is there anyone who doesn't like this guy? Wish they were all more like Motion.

precocity
05-23-2013, 11:13 AM
love to play Motion horses on the turf, but DAM IT MOTION COULD YOU HAVE GAVE WENT THE DAY WELL SOMETHING IN THE DERBY? I HAD 5 DIMES ON HIS NOSE!!!!!!!! ;)

iceknight
05-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Lou Ruberto is as good a trainer as i have ever met in my life. no drugs and 44% win rate. There are 2 Lou Roberto's..
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=People&searchType=T&eID=2612

interestingly, the "Jr" has lot more years of traning and results.. :confused: (do they recycle names in the family?)

But even he has only 19-20% rate over the years... unless you are talking of specific tracks..

-----Also
funny thing about this article is that Motion asks his wife to buy a hat (for the Derby) based on Toby's Corner.. and I don't think Toby's Corner ran (found out ...injury (http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-tobys-corner-out-injury) ) but instead Animal Kingdom ends up winning the derby that very same year.. Talk about a funny twist of events!

Ocala Mike
05-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Motion + Prado on the grass = $$$.

Motion with an Augustin (Strawbridge) horse = $$$$$$.

CincyHorseplayer
05-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Motion + Prado on the grass = $$$.

Motion with an Augustin (Strawbridge) horse = $$$$$$.

I was going to say the same.Plus regardless of his layoff %,if his turf horses figure,he is one guy I trust to have them ready off a layoff on the lawn.Last 2 years he has 107 wins at 18% to Clement's 123 at 21% and Chad Brown's 150 at 28%.3rd best in the country.

chadk66
05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
one way to clean up the sport is for owners to decide enough is enough and place their horses with trainers that refuse to use the juice. but we all know that's never going to happen.

Ocala Mike
05-24-2013, 12:55 PM
To follow up on my post above, if anyone sees a horse named UTLEY entered anywhere, please watch for a score. Double scratched last weekend (turf conditions? company too tough?). Believe this one's ready to step up in class somewhere soon.

PhantomOnTour
05-24-2013, 01:02 PM
To follow up on my post above, if anyone sees a horse named UTLEY entered anywhere, please watch for a score. Double scratched last weekend (turf conditions? company too tough?). Believe this one's ready to step up in class somewhere soon.
We were all set to play him at Pim last week.
I am waiting for him too