PDA

View Full Version : California has jumped the shark

GaryG
04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Calif. Federation of Teachers rallies to support a convicted Philly cop killer. You would think they had more important issues to deal with. Next thing you know the CFT will have it's own foreign policy. This guy should have been sent to hell by the state a long time ago.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/11/teachers-support-cop-killer/

BlueShoe
04-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Next thing you know the CFT will have it's own foreign policy.
Oh but they already do, and have for some time. Prior to 1991 it was similar to the one based in Moscow. Since then, they have looked to Peking, Hanoi, Havava, and Caracas for guidance.:rolleyes:

Charli125
04-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I read the article, and it pisses me off that our tax dollars are still going towards paying for all of his appeals. Ridiculous.

mostpost
04-13-2011, 08:08 PM
I read the article, and it pisses me off that our tax dollars are still going towards paying for all of his appeals. Ridiculous.

Interesting that you think tax dollars pay a defendants legal fees. I always thought that was the responsibility of the defendant.

bigmack
04-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Interesting that you think tax dollars pay a defendants legal fees. I always thought that was the responsibility of the defendant.
He had a public defender for trial. Who do you think paid for that?

Do you honestly think he's paying a nickel towards his defense to file appeals?

cj's dad
04-13-2011, 08:42 PM

further proof that you are out of touch with reality !! Good Lord man, wake up and smell something !!

mostpost
04-13-2011, 08:57 PM
He had a public defender for trial. Who do you think paid for that?

Do you honestly think he's paying a nickel towards his defense to file appeals?
Did he? The wikipedia article identifies criminal defense attorney Anthony Jackson as his attorney. If Jackson were a public defender, I would think he would have been identified as such.

mostpost
04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
further proof that you are out of touch with reality !! Good Lord man, wake up and smell something !!

I am aware of the public defender program. I could not find evidence that this program was used in this case. And if it was, that is a constitutional right afforded every defendant. Deal with it.

cj's dad
04-13-2011, 09:03 PM
I am aware of the public defender program. I could not find evidence that this program was used in this case. And if it was, that is a constitutional right afforded every defendant. Deal with it.

From your post:

"I always thought that was the responsibility of the defendant."

Me- Not if he cannot afford it !!

bigmack
04-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Did he? The wikipedia article identifies criminal defense attorney Anthony Jackson as his attorney. If Jackson were a public defender, I would think he would have been identified as such.
Jackson was his legal advisor.

The reason for his appeals include the usual:

- Public defender gave an incompetent defense
- There were no people of color on the jury (That must be like the store owner thing you were talking about)

Charli125
04-13-2011, 09:29 PM

I think everyone else pretty much answered your question for me.

But, say you're right, say he's paying for his own legal costs and they don't cost the taxpayer a dime.

The taxpayer is still paying for the following and more:
Judge and Jury or just Judge
Legal representation for the state
Para-legals and all the costs that come along with them
Court employees
Transportation to/from court
Security for the above

Robert Goren
04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
They thought they had the right guy here too.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2011/03/29/4d91c183c8e3e

But they were wrong, boy, were they ever wrong. The real killer has been identified, but he is already dead. The local cops looked at the real killer, but decide to go this poor guy instead. After this case I am willing to go the extra mile to be sure.

Tom
04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
OK, Bobby, but not on my tax-dime.
YOU want to go that extra mile, you grab Eams and do it yourself.
And NO GD OVERTIME!!!!

That wasn't your case to begin with, was it? :lol:

Rookies
04-13-2011, 10:19 PM
They thought they had the right guy here too.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2011/03/29/4d91c183c8e3e

But they were wrong, boy, were they ever wrong. The real killer has been identified, but he is already dead. The local cops looked at the real killer, but decide to go this poor guy instead. After this case I am willing to go the extra mile to be sure.

And this one too:
"I SPENT 18 years in prison for robbery and murder, 14 of them on death row. I’ve been free since 2003, exonerated after evidence covered up by prosecutors surfaced just weeks before my execution date. Those prosecutors were never punished" http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/opinion/10thompson.html?_r=1&ref=legalprofession

And one final boot to the head from the Roberts's Con Court who wouldn't sustain his $14 mill wrongful conviction.
"
“If I’d spilled hot coffee on myself, I could have sued the person who served me the coffee,” he said. “But I can’t sue the prosecutors who nearly murdered me.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/us/30scotus.html?_r=1

Thank God he had such vigorous and probably pro bono conscientious & diligent defenders decried by many here.

Tom
04-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Come back to the trail, boys, you are too far out in the woods and it is getting dark.

JustRalph
04-13-2011, 10:48 PM
and its taken 30 years to go that extra mile

give me a break

Robert Goren
04-14-2011, 12:34 AM
and its taken 30 years to go that extra mile

give me a breakIf read the article you know it took 20 years here. Then he had to pay for his own DNA testing from prison wages and even after the DNA cleared him, it took another three years before he was set free. The local County Attorney still won't admit that they made a mistake in prosecuting him instead of the real killer whom they looked at and decided he didn't do it. Thank God, he isn't the CA anymore. Not only did they lock up 6 innocent people, but the real killer got to live out the rest of his life free as jay bird.

toetoe
04-14-2011, 02:53 AM

Okay, we all took the bait. So now do you deny that the above implies that tax dollars never pay the fees for a defendant ? I always thought that such assumptions were the reponsibility ... I find it ironic ... blah ... blah ...

toetoe
04-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Fellow gun- and religion-clinging racists and fetuslovers,

Repeat after me: Dose Mumia ... dose Mumia ...