PDA

View Full Version : Charles town Classic Gr III Status question

adwplayingfool
04-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Is this a permanent upgrade or only for one year? Excited to have another decent race close to my location in Northern Virginia. Other than the Preakness there was not much around other than the Virginia Derby which is actually further away then the preakness and CT classic. Will be there this Saturday and then at the Preakness in a month and am hoping this is a permanent change.

Rise Over Run
04-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Race Gradings are evaluated on an annual basis based on prestige, purse, entrants, etc.

It was upgraded this year based on prior runnings and if it attracts graded winners such as Game on Dude, Tackleberry, Rule, Inherit the Gold it will continue to hold Graded status.

cj's dad
04-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Is this a permanent upgrade or only for one year? Excited to have another decent race close to my location in Northern Virginia. Other than the Preakness there was not much around other than the Virginia Derby which is actually further away then the preakness and CT classic. Will be there this Saturday and then at the Preakness in a month and am hoping this is a permanent change.

when ??

Rise Over Run
04-12-2011, 08:21 PM
It's this Saturday at ~10:30 EST.

Si2see
04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Come on down to the Virginia Derby this year.... Last year wasn't even that crowded. I remember the year Gio Ponti ran here there were tour buses, and rv's parked all the way to the woods.

toussaud
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
It's this Saturday at ~10:30 EST.
maybe we will be lucky enough that hrtv won't be showing show jumping at that time to actually watch it

Southieboy
04-12-2011, 10:56 PM
maybe we will be lucky enough that hrtv won't be showing show jumping at that time to actually watch it
Full Card Coverage. Believe TVG is only showing the stakes.

adwplayingfool
04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
@ Si2see I am planning on attending the VA derby this year. I am a fan of the New Kent track. I have been only once for a trotter Saturday afternoon as I had won a free voucher promotion to be redeemed on site. Me and my GF had a great time and we were planning on getting some people together to come down for the TB meet and Derby this year.Unfortunately my location puts me much closer to CT and Laurel than our in state facilities but I stick to ADW's most days anyways.

RXB
04-13-2011, 09:27 PM

I just read that this year's edition is the first non-BC race since the '06 Arlington Million with 10 or more entrants that have all won a graded stakes. So I'm expecting it to be upgraded to G2 status next year.

picojim
04-13-2011, 09:50 PM
1 No Advantage (KY) 6/H LA M Chaves 120 S S Beattie
2 Tackleberry (FL) 4/G J Santiago 120 L Olivares
3 Tizway (KY) 6/H LA R Maragh 114 H J Bond
4 Acclamation (CA) 5/H L C Santiago Reyes 114 D Warren
5 Rule (KY) 4/C LA J R Velazquez 114 T A Pletcher
6 Inherit the Gold (NY) 5/G L E Castro 120 J Hooper
7 Gone Astray (KY) 5/H LA C H Velasquez 114 C R McGaughey III
8 Duke of Mischief (FL) 5/H LA J Bravo 114 D Fawkes
9 Awesome Gem (KY) 8/G LA T L Dunkelberger 123 C Dollase
10 Game On Dude (KY) 4/G LA D R Flores 123 B Baffert
11 Quindici Man (KY) (AE) 5/H LA M A Pedroza 114 C A Lewis
12 Schoolyard Dreams (KY) (AE) 4/C L K Carmouche 116 D S Ryan
13 Researcher (VA) (AE) 7/G LA J D Acosta 114 N R Morris
14 Icabad Crane (NY) (AE) 6/G LA A Garcia 118 H G Motion

sammy the sage
04-13-2011, 09:56 PM
gonna be a PINBALL race on that SHORT track...will be entertaining FOR sure!

mountainman
04-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Much was made of ct going head to head this year with mnr on tuesday nights. Despite them having much higher purses, and paying tvg to show them, we're starting to eat their lunch in comparative handle.

Dahoss9698
04-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Much was made of ct going head to head this year with mnr on tuesday nights. Despite them having much higher purses, and paying tvg to show them, we're starting to eat their lunch in comparative handle.

Good to know. Doesn't change the fact they have a fantastic race running this weekend though, does it?

mountainman
04-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Good to know. Doesn't change the fact they have a fantastic race running this weekend though, does it?

Nope. Sure doesn't. And I like to play ct on the rare occasions I have time to put into it. They have some lively action. It's actually one of my favorite tracks.

bigmack
04-13-2011, 11:32 PM
It's actually one of my favorite tracks.
As you generate the AM line for MTN, don't you seriously wonder about the level of sanity in the person doling out the morning line @ CT?

mountainman
04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
As you generate the AM line for MTN, don't you seriously wonder about the level of sanity in the person doling out the morning line @ CT?

It's been awhile since i followed ct, mack. Is the line just inaccurate, or are the booking percentages out of whack? There's another track in our region (which i won't specify because of professional courtesy) at which the oddsmaker is blissfully unaware of the formula used in constructing a line.

Dahoss9698
04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
(which i won't specify because of professional courtesy)

:lol:

First time for everything.

OTM Al
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
You know they did a good job getting horses for this one when the horse that won the thing the last 2 years in a row is 3rd on the AE list. Should be a fun watch.

mountainman
04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
:lol:

First time for everything.

Too hostile. Not here to be your best buddy-or worst enemy. Just to talk racing. You leave me no choice but to put you on ignore.

Dahoss9698
04-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Too hostile. Not here to be your best buddy-or worst enemy. Just to talk racing. You leave me no choice but to put you on ignore.
Too hostile? You came into a thread about a race at charlestown with the intention of putting them down (professional courtesy) for no reason. You knew what you were doing because you edited your initial post to a less aggressive post.

According to the figures I briefly looked at your story on how the non existant handle battle is playing out isn't accurate. You might want to look into that.

mountainman
04-14-2011, 03:26 PM
the horse that won the thing the last 2 years in a row is 3rd on the AE list. .

My first thought upon reading this was that Researcher had been victimized by a poorly written preference clause. But it's apparent after pulling up his form that there was no equitable way to ensure him a spot in the body. Were the race a handicap rather than alw stakes, Researcher would probably be in. Just for the record, i'm not a fan of handicaps when that kind of purse is at stake, and the preference clauses on this race are indeed well written.

cj
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
You know they did a good job getting horses for this one when the horse that won the thing the last 2 years in a row is 3rd on the AE list. Should be a fun watch.

Apparently, and I guess this is common knowledge but was new to me, he was purchased privately to be a jumper. It obviously didn't work out and his return race was pretty bad.

mountainman
04-14-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm done debating people who launch personal attacks under the cloak of anonymity. It creeps me out a little.

comet52
04-15-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm done debating people who launch personal attacks under the cloak of anonymity. It creeps me out a little.

You whacked CT before anyone took a whack at you. What were you expecting, bouquets?

Dahoss9698
04-15-2011, 12:40 AM

Oh please. No one launched a personal attack at you.

You're the one who made the comment. I just don't understand why and found it ironic you mentioned professional courtesy after taking a shot at a rival track.

It's seems like you are trying to deflect the attention away from the issue. Let's get back to what you posted. You said Mountaineer has been outhandling Charlestown despite much lower purses. So I'd be interested in seeing the numbers (again).

mountainman
04-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Oh please. No one launched a personal attack at you.

You're the one who made the comment. I just don't understand why and found it ironic you mentioned professional courtesy after taking a shot at a rival track.

It's seems like you are trying to deflect the attention away from the issue. Let's get back to what you posted. You said Mountaineer has been outhandling Charlestown despite much lower purses. So I'd be interested in seeing the numbers (again).

Dude, first off, my definition of professional courtesy is something one person extends to an another person, not a business establishment. I don't work as a racetrack, I work as an official, an oddsmaker, an analyst and a blogger. That's why I'm reluctant to call out a peer, but not a racetrack. In addition, I stated facts about ct, not opinion, so it wasn't a "shot." Moreover, I also praised ct's racing program on this very thread. And of course I can provide numbers to back up my contention concerning comparative handle. Even my enemies know that I never lie. Not ever.

But we both know that statistics can be spun various ways. Heck, I can think of several ways that I'd tweak them if I were arguing on ct's behalf: we run ten races, they card nine; our signal is taken by more outlets..etc etc. So this debate is headed for pure tedium, and life is just too short. So let's do it like this: I'll bow out of the thread which means you win because it will appear that I couldn't provide the numbers. Does that work for ya?

By the way, check out my blog. Especially the vampire story archived as "the darkest mile." You strike me as an edgy guy who would get what i write.

toetoe
04-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Dahoss,

MM can't hear you, but he's willing to unignore you, and throw in an autographed Deshawn Parker bobblehead doll, if you apologize ... and mean it. :p

And yes, a bouquet of flowers would be on time, as the bruthas might say. Make 'em Black Eyed Susans, woodja ?

mountainman
04-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Dahoss,

MM can't hear you, but he's willing to unignore you

Mighty big of me, huh? And "woodja" BELIEVE there's a handy little tab that does that? And I shudder to think that if i hadn't, dahoss and i would never have become such great pals. Thanks for noticing.

ps-what's a bruthas? (it just SOUNDS so cool, that i'd like to use the word myself sometime) If you teach me, maybe you and i can also be pals. not promising anything-but i can tell the potential is there.

takeout
04-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Chance of rain 90%.

Since they’ve done away with so much of the space for the horseplayers (they put the poker tables upstairs and still have about 2/5ths of the grandstand closed off for no apparent reason) it will be interesting to see where the crowd (assuming they have one) will go if they get rained off of the apron.

Dahoss9698
04-15-2011, 09:44 AM
But we both know that statistics can be spun various ways. Heck, I can think of several ways that I'd tweak them if I were arguing on ct's behalf: we run ten races, they card nine; our signal is taken by more outlets..etc etc. So this debate is headed for pure tedium, and life is just too short. So let's do it like this: I'll bow out of the thread which means you win because it will appear that I couldn't provide the numbers. Does that work for ya?

Here's the problem with the internet in general. You made the initial statement. Totally unprovoked and there was nothing professional about it. Whether you like it or not, as an analyst you represent your track. As scary as that is, it's the truth. So calling out a rival track isn't exactly professional, in my opinion, but maybe my definition of professional differs from others. Fine, a difference of opinion.

I disagree with the "facts" you presented and am interested in seeing the comparitive numbers. If they are "facts" as you say, what is the harm in posting them? The numbers are the numbers. We've had dozens of threads regarding handle here. Might be interesting to see how they compare.

What it seems like is maybe it was you who were spinning, hoping no one would address it due to all of your past pandering. Now that you're stuck, you're going to try and squirm your way out of it. It's fine, we can drop it.

NTamm1215
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Here's the problem with the internet in general. You made the initial statement. Totally unprovoked and there was nothing professional about it. Whether you like it or not, as an analyst you represent your track. As scary as that is, it's the truth. So calling out a rival track isn't exactly professional, in my opinion, but maybe my definition of professional differs from others. Fine, a difference of opinion.

I disagree with the "facts" you presented and am interested in seeing the comparitive numbers. If they are "facts" as you say, what is the harm in posting them? The numbers are the numbers. We've had dozens of threads regarding handle here. Might be interesting to see how they compare.

What it seems like is maybe it was you who were spinning, hoping no one would address it due to all of your past pandering. Now that you're stuck, you're going to try and squirm your way out of it. It's fine, we can drop it.

I was hoping the CT vs. Mnr comparative handle discussion could continue so we could get an explanation on how it's possible that Mnr's on-track per capita the last two Tuesdays was between $5.00 and $7.00

mountainman
04-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I disagree with the "facts" you presented and am interested in seeing the comparitive numbers.

Now that you're stuck, you're going to try and squirm your way out of it. It's fine, we can drop it.

You left yourself zero wiggle room with this post. You are clearly saying that mnr has not outhandled ct on tuesdays. So, lets cut to the chase. How much are we wagering? (psssst... that means it's put up or shut up time.)

the little guy
04-15-2011, 10:32 AM
You left yourself zero wiggle room with this post. You are clearly saying that mnr has not outhandled ct on tuesdays. So, lets cut to the chase. How much are we wagering? (psssst... that means it's put up or shut up time.)

He didn't say that.

mountainman
04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Here's the problem with the internet in general.

No, the problem with the internet is people who can't disagree without being disagreeable. Our definitions of "professional courtesty" differ. Again, mine is extended to people-not business establishments. And so do our definitions of what constitutes a "shot." Stating that we've outhandled ct is pretty mild stuff in my book. You've far overdramatized my remarks and conveniently ignored the fact that i also offered praise for their racing program. I suspect that our definitions of properly "representing" one's employers might contrast as well.

mountainman
04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
He didn't say that.

He called me out too aggressively to have it both ways. So you're wafflling on his behalf?

mountainman
04-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I disagree with the "facts" you presented

Note to serling. How is this not saying that mnr has not outhandled ct?? I can't WAIT for this response. He's going beyond asking for proof with this sentence. He's clearly disputing my contention concerning comparative handle.

the little guy
04-15-2011, 10:59 AM
He called me out too aggressively to have it both ways. So you're wafflling on his behalf?

This is BS. Complete BS.

You're being defensive here. Why don't you give the figures for the last couple of months of Tuesdays and stop with the rest of this smokescreen.

You made the claim....now give the numbers to back it up.

mountainman
04-15-2011, 11:05 AM
He didn't say that.

He did INDEED say it. And i'm waiting for you're response on this. You painted yourself into quite a corner here. And profanity won't extricate you.

Tom
04-15-2011, 11:25 AM
BS is profanity??
That is BS.

Sorry.
I couldn't help myself.

Carry on.

comet52
04-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Note to serling. How is this not saying that mnr has not outhandled ct?? I can't WAIT for this response. He's going beyond asking for proof with this sentence. He's clearly disputing my contention concerning comparative handle.

Putting aside the handle figures, because I personally could care less. I mean, if you worked for Woodbine would you come here in a MNR thread and proclaim that you handle more than they do? What's the point other than chest-thumping? That never draws a favorable response anywhere. Parsing the difference between knocking down a person and a business doesn't really change the perception that you're being a twit.

mountainman
04-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Putting aside the handle figures, because I personally could care less. I mean, if you worked for Woodbine would you come here in a MNR thread and proclaim that you handle more than they do? What's the point other than chest-thumping? That never draws a favorable response anywhere. Parsing the difference between knocking down a person and a business doesn't really change the perception that you're being a twit.

Too much drama. I didn't belittle ct. And i praised them on this very thread. As stated, it's one of my favorite tracks to play. They offer good action. And there's a HUGE difference between calling out a peer and taking jabs at a business establishment.

mountainman
04-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Geez. Debating you guys is too much like work. I'm moving to the off-topic forum to see if i can get some golf talk going.

cj
04-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Geez. Debating you guys is too much like work. I'm moving to the off-topic forum to see if i can get some golf talk going.

So no handle numbers are forthcoming?

mountainman
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
So no handle numbers are forthcoming?

We've got a bingo.

Dahoss9698
04-15-2011, 05:39 PM
We've got a bingo.

Wonder why.

mountainman
04-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Wonder why.

Again, what's the wager? Here's my suggestion: Since you're always so determined to draw blood on here, let's see how you handle it when the corpuscles are your own. If ct has outdone mnr this yr on total tues handle-i'll leave pace and never post again. If, however, the reverse is true, you go away and never return. Put up, or shut up.

And don't even TRY to say that you simply asked me for proof but never disagreed with my take on comparative handle. Be a man, stand by your words, and don't backpedal. Want the wager? Yes, or no. Your tag-team can't help you now, i'm calling you out.

Dahoss9698
04-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Again, what's the wager? Here's my suggestion: Since you're always so determined to draw blood on here, let's see how you handle it when the corpuscles are your own. If ct has outdone mnr this yr on total tues handle-i'll leave pace and never post again. If, however, the reverse is true, you go away and never return. Put up, or shut up.

And don't even TRY to say that you simply asked me for proof but never disagreed with my take on comparative handle. Be a man, stand by your words, and don't backpedal. Want the wager? Yes, or no. Your tag-team can't help you now, i'm calling you out.

The irony here is priceless. Everything you are projecting to me is what you have failed to do here. There is no wager.

YOU are the one that made the initial statement. I disagreed. I didn't disagree with something that could not be proven very easily. I disagreed with something that could have easily been proven days ago, had you just stood by your words.

Instead of just owning it and either posting the numbers (which you would have done if you were correct), or admitting you were not, you'd rather have a tantrum and try to deflect away from YOUR words.

I have no desire for you to leave. You're great entertainment.

andtheyreoff
04-15-2011, 07:54 PM
CT on 4/12/11- $92,607 per race
MNR on 4/12/11- $104,986 per race

CT on 4/5/11- $86,950 per race
MNR on 4/5/11- $120,390 per race

Si2see
04-15-2011, 11:58 PM
CT on 4/12/11- $92,607 per race
MNR on 4/12/11- $104,986 per race

CT on 4/5/11- $86,950 per race
MNR on 4/5/11- $120,390 per race

Nice, should end this debate.

Dahoss9698
04-16-2011, 12:17 AM

Is it me?

mountainman
04-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Yes indeed. mm-1 dahoss-0
He can (and will continue to) obfuscate until he contracts carpal tunnel, but these four words snookered him and put HIS dog in the fight : "I disagree with your facts." After that, there was no wiggle room, one of us had to be right, the other wrong. It was as simple as that. He hooked himself, and i'd strongly advise continuing to keep tabs on this thread because he's not nearly done thrashing in the net. His tag team has even abandoned him. What does that tell you?

On a further note: I've always treated dahoss with respect, but that doesn't work. It only emboldens him to continue with snide, personal putdowns. He's here to fight, but he doesn't fight fair. And I can't help but wonder how many board members his unrelenting hostility has discouraged from posting, or flat out chased from the forum. It's disgraceful.

castaway01
04-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Yes indeed. mm-1 dahoss-0
He can (and will continue to) obfuscate until he contracts carpal tunnel, but these four words snookered him and put HIS dog in the fight : "I disagree with your facts." After that, there was no wiggle room, one of us had to be right, the other wrong. It was as simple as that. He hooked himself, and i'd strongly advise continuing to keep tabs on this thread because he's not nearly done thrashing in the net. His tag team has even abandoned him. What does that tell you?

On a further note: I've always treated dahoss with respect, but that doesn't work. It only emboldens him to continue with snide, personal putdowns. He's here to fight, but he doesn't fight fair. And I can't help but wonder how many board members his unrelenting hostility has discouraged from posting, or flat out chased from the forum. It's disgraceful.

You've acted like a clown on this whole thread, and you REPRESENT A RACETRACK. All you had to do was admit you took a shot at CT about their handle in a thread that was supposed to be about their million dollar race this weekend, yet you didn't have the stones to do so. You wouldn't even post handle figures when you knew they favored your track. So you danced, and whined, and danced, and whined, and danced. As usual, you certainly make Mountaineer look great with your professional behavior.

mountainman
04-16-2011, 09:31 AM
You wouldn't even post handle figures when you knew they favored your track.

The figures were't easily at my disposal. I don't write them down or file them. I go to equibase and SCAN the comparative handles every wednesday morning-so i knew i was right and dahoss wrong. Can YOU remember the exact score of every game your favorite nfl team played this season? Of course not. But you WOULD remember if they beat their arch rivals twice. Get it? I'm not a walking encyclopedia of handle figures-but i knew we'd outhandled ct head to head on tuesdays.

Cardus
04-16-2011, 09:44 AM
You've acted like a clown on this whole thread, and you REPRESENT A RACETRACK. All you had to do was admit you took a shot at CT about their handle in a thread that was supposed to be about their million dollar race this weekend, yet you didn't have the stones to do so. You wouldn't even post handle figures when you knew they favored your track. So you danced, and whined, and danced, and whined, and danced. As usual, you certainly make Mountaineer look great with your professional behavior.

Sharp post.

mountainman
04-16-2011, 09:48 AM
I like to play ct on the rare occasions I have time to put into it. They have some lively action. It's actually one of my favorite tracks.

Just for the record.

JimG
04-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I never thought I would live to see the day a Graded stakes race would come to Charles Town. It's a far cry from the 1250 claiming races I used to bet on there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the race? I presume the 11-14 will scratch unless one of the first 10 decide not to run.

Tackleberry is such a game horse. Tizway looks interesting to me as well. The unknowns are the tight turns at CT for the horses and the "big time" jockeys riding there for the occasion and their unfamiliarity with the track.

Jim

mountainman
04-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I never thought I would live to see the day a Graded stakes race would come to Charles Town. It's a far cry from the 1250 claiming races I used to bet on there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the race? I presume the 11-14 will scratch unless one of the first 10 decide not to run.

Tackleberry is such a game horse. Tizway looks interesting to me as well. The unknowns are the tight turns at CT for the horses and the "big time" jockeys riding there for the occasion and their unfamiliarity with the track.

Jim

Just pulled up the pps. WOW. What a field. At first glance, I like the way Duke of Mischief is coming up to the race, and I think the pace might suit him. Contemplating a wager.

JimG
04-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Just pulled up the pps. WOW. What a field. At first glance, I like the way Duke of Mischief is coming up to the race, and i think the pace might suit him. Am contemplating a wager.

Mark,

It will be interesting to see if Bravo sends him from the 8 hole and/or if he gets caught real wide early in the race. I think he will need one heck of a ride from that post and with his running style to get the job done. Your right when you say WOW. Should be a good betting race.

Jim

adwplayingfool
04-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I live about 45 miles from CT and the weather is pretty nasty and not forecasted to get too much better. Will be interesting to see if they cancel or not. I am trying to be optimistc and will head over around 4pm if they don't notify by that point. I like Rule and Tackleberry in this race. You are correct that they will only race 10 horses maximum no matter what however with the weather there may be some scratches in the top 10 if they do race.

mountainman
04-16-2011, 11:02 AM
I live about 45 miles from CT and the weather is pretty nasty and not forecasted to get too much better. Will be interesting to see if they cancel or not. I am trying to be optimistc and will head over around 4pm if they don't notify by that point. I like Rule and Tackleberry in this race. You are correct that they will only race 10 horses maximum no matter what however with the weather there may be some scratches in the top 10 if they do race.

They're talking maybe 2 inches or more here. But we're 5 hours north of ct.

mountainman
04-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Mark,

It will be interesting to see if Bravo sends him from the 8 hole and/or if he gets caught real wide early in the race. I think he will need one heck of a ride from that post and with his running style to get the job done. Your right when you say WOW. Should be a good betting race.

Jim

Barring late scratches, the pace looks brutal. I see Duke of Mischief as a horse that can sit just behind the fray and attack with the sort of middle move that is usually effective at ct.

adwplayingfool
04-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I just hope they don't pull the "Charles Town shuffel" where they race 1 or 2 races or wait until the last minute then cancel in hopes of pushing everyone into the casino. It has happened many times. Penn National just cancelled it looks like which obviously is also a penn national property so we will see how they play it.

classhandicapper
04-16-2011, 11:25 AM
I they draw a field like this every year, the race should get Grade 2 status fairly quickly and possibly even Grade 1 status. This is a strong field.

Dahoss9698
04-16-2011, 12:15 PM

The thing is, the last two weeks have favored Mountaineer. I don't think that has been the case before that. But, as you and others have noted, there was a simple fix to this. Just post the figures. If I was wrong, fine. Won't be the first or last time.

He wants to make this about me, because I dared to question him. I didn't attack and I think that is pretty plain to see. He's got his panties in a bunch over me saying "I disagree with your facts."

Oh well. Looking forward to the race at CT tonight.

MNslappy
04-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Tackleberry, winner of 2 straight graded stakes and 8 of 12 lifetime, is again NOT the morning line favorite?

http://www.masterpiecepumpkins.com/Graphics/RodneyDangerfield%20%20_orig.jpg

mountainman
04-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Oh well. Looking forward to the race at CT tonight.

Me too. Who do you like?

cj
04-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Tackleberry, winner of 2 straight graded stakes and 8 of 12 lifetime, is again NOT the morning line favorite?

To be fair, the ML fave did just win the Big Cap, a MUCH bigger race than the two Tackleberry won. I see too much speed for him to win today, but he has burned me before.

mountainman
04-16-2011, 01:35 PM
the race should get Grade 2 status fairly quickly and possibly even Grade 1 status. .

I've seen how the grading- committee operates, including the voluminous info they comb through, and the complicated worksheets used to process it. Much of the criteria is rigid and clearly defined. But to some extent, politics and vague policies do enter the equation.

Beachbabe
04-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I passed on Tackleberry 3 straight times...no more.
In a repeat of the Gulfstream Park Hndcp, I'll take Tackleberry to hold on over Tizway, with the "hot" Inherit The Gold to get up for third.

Track Collector
04-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Wow, is this a competitive field! Every starter has one at least one graded race in their lifetime. For the final projected speed rating, my handicapping program has six horses within 2 points of each other, and that total increases to eight horses when the spread is opened up to 4 points. I'm still handicapping the race for the P.A.I.H.L. :)

I'll be there, and unless we have a monsoon, this race is too important to cancel. Sister track Penn National has nothing important, and thus they can cancel their card. For those who are there for the simulcasting, Penn's cancellation will only serve to direct more attention to the BIG CT races.

Any other PA members expect to be there?

takeout
04-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Charles Town needs a million-dollar race like I need a toothache. They’ve gotten to the point where they can’t even handle a thousand people up there comfortably. If the weather rains folks off of the apron it’s going to be a real mess.

Jasonm921
04-16-2011, 06:55 PM
This is a nice field. Great betting race. I'm taking the two hot horses Inherit the Gold and Tacklesberry with Tizway. Duke of Mischief shows nice numbers for off track but it must be from two years ago because brisnet doesn't have the pp's them.

toussaud
04-16-2011, 10:23 PM
for the record my pick is inherit the gold

JimG
04-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Barring late scratches, the pace looks brutal. I see Duke of Mischief as a horse that can sit just behind the fray and attack with the sort of middle move that is usually effective at ct.

Nice pick. Hope you bet him.

Jim

RXB
04-16-2011, 10:44 PM
That was a good battle on the backstretch and turn between Duke Of Mischief and Game On Dude. They both turned it up a couple of notches. Glad I watched it. Duke Of Mischief looked pretty tired after the race.

Zydeco
04-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Good call Mountain man

Jasonm921
04-16-2011, 10:47 PM
its amazing how that track changes the dynamics of a race. You have to be on to be on the bridle the entire race.

Sekrah
04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm occupied right now. Can't access DRF from where I am. Can someone give me the payouts for Duke of Mischief?

slew101
04-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Duke Of Mischief
$11.40
$6.20
$4.20

I'm occupied right now. Can't access DRF from where I am. Can someone give me the payouts for Duke of Mischief?

GatetoWire
04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
That was a great ride by Joe Bravo. Reminded me of the middle move that was made in the Dubai World Cup.

toussaud
04-17-2011, 12:15 AM
lol as soon as they hit the first turn I knew all the horses that were at the back had no shot. man that track is brutal

Some_One
04-17-2011, 12:25 AM
2F in, the winner was 9th of 10...again similar to the DWC, jockeys matter.

Tom
04-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Your other back.:D

Overall, back of the pack did ok last night: 5 out of 11

Pos # Horses

2-6
5-6
7-9
3-6
1-1
7-9
1-4
4-5
1-9
9-10
4-8

Jasonm921
04-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Jockeys are huge component on that track. You have to really start rolling on your horse on the back stretch.

mountainman
04-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Good call Mountain man

tx very much.

mountainman
04-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Nice pick. Hope you bet him.

Jim

Yes i did , jim. I stated that before the race when i gave him out to my viewers on the show last night. The irony is that without this thread, i'd have probably never cracked the pp's open. But once i did, duke of mischief really jumped off the page, for numerous reasons. Tx very much for noticing, sir.