PDA

View Full Version : Florida/Jeb Bush concerns

ljb
10-23-2003, 10:50 AM
With Jeb Bush overiding the Florida court system to provide a feeding tube to a woman who is in a vegatative state, will he next try these antics with Rush ? We all know this dude has been brain dead for years.
:D

Lefty
10-23-2003, 12:39 PM
ljb, Jeb is a hero. The woman is not on artificial life support and does not appear to be in a vegetative state. She responds to her mother and can follow a balloon with her eyes. The husband seems to have suspicious motives for wanting her dead. He collected over a million bucks that was supposed to be for her care but he seems to have squandered it on floozies.
The parents want her kept alive. Why do you liberals always opt for death except in the case of criminals and dictators?

And then(i guess to you it was funny) try to equate this poor woman's plight to that of a President willing to risk his presidency to stand up for this country; shows it is you that is brain dead.

Amazin
10-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Lefty said".... can follow a balloon with her eyes."

The real issue here is whether you can follow a balloon with your eyes. The biggest balloon I know of is filled with hot air from Washington. Yet you don't see it.Can you say "Vegetative State"?

ljb
10-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Lefty,
You may want to re-read my note. I said nothing about Bush, I was talking about the drug addict RUSH.
Hope it's not your tax dollars keeping this vegative balloon watcher alive.

Lefty
10-23-2003, 01:13 PM
amazin, and now you use a thread about this poor woman to take a cheap shot at Wash? Where's the humanity in that?
Stick to the thread: Did Jeb do wrong to keep this woman alive?

Lefty
10-23-2003, 01:22 PM
ljb, you are right; didn't have my reading glasses on. Okay, it's still a cheap and untrue shot. You can say he's brain dead and I can say he's the savviest pundit alive. These are our opinions and advance no disussion whatsoever. Why don't you wait till he's back on his show, call and then tell him he's brain dead?

BTW, he's addicted because he's in a lot of pain and not because he seeks a "high." Where's all this liberal compassion and tolerence I keep hearing so much about?

fmazur
10-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Lefty stated:

Where's all this liberal compassion and tolerence I keep hearing so much about?

Lefty, I am surprised at the above statement. You know very well that LIBERAL COMPASSION is an oxymoron.

fmazur
10-23-2003, 02:12 PM
ljb stated:

We all know this dude has been brain dead for years.

I believe you mean Bill Clinton.

ljb
10-23-2003, 04:39 PM
Lefty said
President willing to risk his presidency to stand up for this country; shows it is you that is brain dead.
Lefty, Bush did not start the war to risk his presidency, he started the war to bolster his political ambitions.
And as for Rush, yes he is in great pain , most addicts are when they can't get their fix.

lsbets
10-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Bush did not "start" this war. This war started in 1991 when Saddam invaded Kuwait, then we repelled him and he signed a ceasefire which her refused to abide by. Now, maybe I am being too simplistic here, but Saddam restarted this war by not complyiing with the ceasefire and the pertinant UN resolutions that threatened the use of force going back to 1991. Regardless of whether we have found WMD or WMD programs, there was and is no dispute about Saddam having them and having used them in the past. He stood defiant in the face of Bush. My opinion is that he understimated Bush's resolve, and thought that he might have to endure some airstrikes and would be able to stay in power, as he had throughout the 90s. I don't think he believed we would invade until it actually happenned. France had too much at stake financially with his regime to allow us to attack, hence the French obstinance at every turn, and he thought France would be able to act as the moderator to get us to back down. Again, that is my opinion.

I do think that it is funny that a board that was started about something completely different has turned to this topic again. Isn't this the third thread on this subject now? Are we alll going to make the same arguments that we have been making?

I propose a ceasefire. There is too much money on the line this weekend. In the spirit of handicapping (theoretically the reason we are all on this site), I propose that we stop all of the left/right back and forth until after the running of the Classic on Saturday. This way, we all have time to get our picks ready. Anyone agree? Kind of like the Christmas ceasefires during WWI and WWII. We can yell our picks out from our trenches and across no mans land.

ljb
10-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Isbets,
I started the topic concerning Jeb Bush's actions in Florida. I included a snide remark about Rush. This remark was mistakenly taken as to be about Bush. The topic moved rapidly to G.W. Bush. If you don't want to get involved, don't.
I personally feel it is a waste of money and resources to extend ones life beyond reasonable expectations. "I do not want my life to be prolonged by providing or continuing life-sustaining treatment if any of the following medical conditions exist."
I am in an irreversible coma or persistent vegatative state. etc. etc. etc.
While you state we should stop this bickering, you do refute my statement as to why Bush started this war. Shall we continue or shall this cease ?
Hope your horse wins.

lsbets
10-23-2003, 09:05 PM
ljb,

Yes, I did start out refuting your assertions about Bush, then I made an observation that this is the third thread that has gone to the topic of the war. The first was Clueless President, the second one was started as a joke, and then this one. While I was making that observation, I had the idea of a "ceasefire". It seemed like a novel idea to me, after all, we are all handicappers to one degree or another, and could probably find something to agree on since we have been having the same basic argument on three different threads. Apparently you don't like the idea. That's fine, no one said you have to. Its pretty obvious that I have been involved in all the threads on this topic, so I don't know how you could think I don't want to get involved. I figured that two sides of the political spectrum could take a break to enjoy something that we have in common. It was a spur of the moment idea. It was tongue in cheek. Somehow, it seems like it offended you.

ljb
10-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Isbets,
These notes are all posted in the off Topic section of this bulletin board. "Got something on your mind other then horses?"
So why the ceasefire? I am not offended by your suggestion just amused by it when you have suggested a ceasefire while firing a round.
Ok then we will agree Jeb Bush is wrong in Florida, Rush is an addict and G.W. Bush started the war under false pretenses.
Now let's have a ceasefire.

lsbets
10-23-2003, 10:40 PM
It was a lighthearted remark, lighten up dude. In terms of the other stuff:

The Florida Legislature passed a bill, Jeb signed it. Why are you not calling the Dems in their legislature wrong? Try some intellectual honesty. Also, if she had left a living will saying let me die, then let her die. She didn't. Her husband says one thing, her partents another. What is wrong with erring on the side of life? I cannot understand how libs are opposed to capital punishment - where you have a guilty party that committed a criime - but are all in favor of killing the innocent and helpless. If you don't want life support, get a living will. That's what they're for. I'll pull the plug for you. But if you don't have one, I'll keep you plugged in. None of us knows the whole story with Schaivo, it really seems to me like a bunch of posturing by politicians.

Rush is an addict, I never said he wasn't. I have not tried to defend him, but I also don't kick a man when he's down.

Bush did not start the war under false pretenses, you know that, refer to previous note about intellectual honesty. The libs are so blinded by hate because of Florida 2000, they can't be honest with themselves about this.

I have 3 questions for you regarding the war:

- Did Iraq have WMDs?

- Is the world better off without Hussein in power?

- Are the Iraqi people better off withour Hussein in power?

I am curious as to your answers, I am not sure what they would be. If you feel that I am trying to back you into a corner, then go into detail in your answers.

You didn't want the ceasfire. This gives me a break from figuring out my bets for Saturday. So, in the words of W "Bring em on!"

ljb
10-24-2003, 08:18 AM
isbets,
I am rather busy this morning and am going to try to get a round of golf in this afternoon. I would suggest you check out the frontline video. Amazin has posted the link on this board.
I watched the whole thing last night very enlightening.
Tells how Clinton let down one of them Iraq dudes who wanted to overthrow Saddam among other things.

Tom
10-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Thou shalt not kill is ok when WE want to kill our mortal enemies who are planning to kill us, but it doesn't matter when you want ot save a few bucks and MURDER a women in FLorida.
If you think she is in a vegatative state, why waste time starving her to death? Just stab her, shoot her, put a pillow over her head. If she is already dead, what difference does it make?
\Typical liberal - all talk no walk. No convictions.
I say NO doctor knows for sure that she is not aware of her surroundings and can still feel pain. I agree with talking peopl eoff artifical life support and lettingthem go naturally, but the only thing this poor woman has is the feeding tube, in other words, she can sustain her own life with the same basic nutrition you or I require. What you are talking about here is clearly murder. You have no problem doling out trillions of dollars to support crack ho's but you complain about keeping this on e alive. Why is that? Is it because Jeb Bush helped her?
What is next for the Liberal Army - parapaleigics? Starve them out?
Boy, you guys are really something.

ljb
10-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Tom said
"You have no problem doling out trillions of dollars to support crack ho's "
What in the hell are you talking about here Tom?
Also i recieve my daily sustenance by my own efforts, no feeding tube for me. We may have to decide exactly what can be considered artificial life support.

Tom
10-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ljb
Tom said
"You have no problem doling out trillions of dollars to support crack ho's "
What in the hell are you talking about here Tom?

The trillions of dollars we have flushed down the old crapper on welfare since LBJ haunted the Oval office.
:p

ljb
10-24-2003, 09:30 PM
So know your saying that welfare is just for crack ho's ?
Typical right wing confusion or mis-representation of the facts. Must have got this data from Rumsfield's intelligence gathering committe

Tom
10-24-2003, 10:21 PM
I'd refute your point but I have already moved on in my mind.
:eek:

ljb
10-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Glad to hear your advancing in your mental exercises.
Maybe next week we can work on broadening your views.

Lefty
10-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Yes, Tom, broaden your views like the all compassionate libs.
Killing babies in the womb: OK.
Killing sick people and old people: OK.
Killing murdering criminals: NOT OK!

Rick
10-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Well, unfortunately, this whole thing seems to be about who's going to have to pay for her to stay alive. The husband doesn't want to pay for it, the parents don't want to pay for it, and the government doesn't want to pay for it. So, who's left. If it's the right thing to do to keep her alive, and I think it is, let's see somebody volunteer to pay for it. Otherwise everyone will just find a reason why it's really OK to let her die. I don't think she wants to die just from looking at videos of her reacting to other people and I don't care what she said before she was in this condition.

Lefty,

I agree with your comments on this except that I would allow abortions in the first trimester.

Tom
10-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Let's take some of the $87 billion and pay her bills.
I have no probelm whatsoever with my tax dollars going to things like this. This is what I think government should be doing - maybe W and the Demos could hold just one fund raiser for her instead of spending all that money on mud-slinging campaign ads.
Ther is, in my mind a huge difference in letting someone die and killing someone, which is what depriving her of nutrition is - murder. Removing someone from artificial life support is not the same.
Frankly, I think she is at least somewhat aware of her surroundings, and maybe even more so than some posters in this thread!

Rick
10-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Tom

Yeah, if we have to be aware of what's going on in the real world most of us are probably in trouble. I don't know about you but I like the unrealistic but totally fair world of horse racing pretty well.

Tom
10-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Rick
Tom

Yeah, if we have to be aware of what's going on in the real world most of us are probably in trouble. I don't know about you but I like the unrealistic but totally fair world of horse racing pretty well.

I go to the track, spend the day with horses, have fun, go home, then have to deal with horse's *sses the rest of the week!
:eek:

Lefty
10-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Rick, husband got a million bucks from malpractice suit or something to be used for her care. Now he wants her dead. Hmmm.
1st trimester, whatever, that fetus will eventually become a human being if not murdered in the womb. Correct me if i'm wrong, be didn't we all start out the same way; as fetus'?

Rick
10-27-2003, 03:29 AM
Lefty,

Yeah, very suspicious. As for abortion, it's all a matter of where you draw the line and I don't claim to be any expert. But the same argument could be made against birth control. The issue has never come up with anyone that I know, but if it had I'd try to talk them out of having one. As to the legality of it, every state allows it in the first trimester so I don't think that would be a very liberal point of view. If they can't make up their mind by then they should go ahead and have it. If they don't want to keep it there are plenty of people who'd love to adopt it. If the child is unwanted it's not likely to have a good life with the natural mother. Even the most irresponsible and selfish person has better options than abortion.