PDA

View Full Version : Momma Eagle and her chicks

Donnie
04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
here is a link to watch a mother Bald Eagle and her 3 chicks LIVE 24/7. They hatched this past week and the Raptor Resource Project had rigged a camera and microphone next to her nest last Fall in hopes she would return and give birth! Way cool stuff!!!

http://www.whotv.com/who-story-eagle-nest-cam-watch-040111,0,1495762.story

BlueShoe
04-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Not really sure that this practice of looking in on wildlife and showing it to the general public is a good idea. The typical city dweller is woefully ignorant about wildlife with no knowledge about how nature works. By human standards, nature is incredibly cruel and violent with a very high mortality rate. Not long ago a cam was installed in a barn owl nest in Orange County. One of chicks appeared to be weak and struggling. There was a great hue and cry for humans to "do something" and intervene and rescue the chick. The experts wisely refused, and the chick died. This caused even more outrage from the uniformed public. Only a small percentage of wildlife born survive to adulthood. The weak chicks death was normal and expected, just part of the way nature works, but many of the public did not get this.

Donnie
04-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Circle of Life...most adults understand it. They give some great info further down that page about how they have been watching these two adults since 2008.

Tom
04-12-2011, 10:53 PM
By human standards, nature is incredibly cruel and violent with a very high mortality rate.

You could say the came about living in a city!

JustRalph
04-13-2011, 01:30 AM
http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81720

been watching it off and on since I posted it last week........

these Eagles are incredible ........ the wife likes it too..... :ThmbUp:

Donnie
04-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Sorry Ralph. Didn't realize you had posted it earlier! Been so damned busy at work I can't remember the last bet I made on the horses and been off the boards completely.

It is incredible! The route my wife and I take to work, we pass over the Des Moines river. For about a week, there were a group of bald eagles, probably 12 were the most we counted on any given day, hanging in the trees and swooping down to fish. Eventually they moved north up to Saylorville Lake. This pair is a little north and east from where we are in Des Moines.

JustRalph
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Sorry Ralph. Didn't realize you had posted it earlier! Been so damned busy at work I can't remember the last bet I made on the horses and been off the boards completely.

It is incredible! The route my wife and I take to work, we pass over the Des Moines river. For about a week, there were a group of bald eagles, probably 12 were the most we counted on any given day, hanging in the trees and swooping down to fish. Eventually they moved north up to Saylorville Lake. This pair is a little north and east from where we are in Des Moines.

Donnie, no reason to be sorry. It's a great link. I enjoy it very much. Good to see you posting.

I could watch it all day long. The Youtube channel has the highlights. It's a great way to catch up.

maddog42
04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Yes Ralph it is very cool. I can't believe all the traffic noise. I'm surprised she chose this place to nest. A pair here in Okla.chose the middle of a busy lake though.
Good Stuff!

JustRalph
04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Lots of cars passing in background today.......looks like dinner has been delivered too.......... Big Daddy must be on the prowl........haven't seen him today.

ArlJim78
04-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Last week they had a dead rabbit in there. Is it still there, or has it been consumed? I can't tell.

JustRalph
04-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Last week they had a dead rabbit in there. Is it still there, or has it been consumed? I can't tell.

only lasted two days. this is new..........can't tell what it is though

maddog42
04-13-2011, 06:02 PM
From another web site about another pair of Eagles:

24 March: These young eaglets hatched on February 1 and 4, and are now past the age of six weeks old. Six weeks is usually a time after which bald eagle sibling aggression disappears, and serious siblicide in this species no longer occurs, as it would appear that plenty of prey is available this year. At this age, young bald eagles are completely covered with dark brown body and flight feathers, under which down feathers help keep the eaglets warm.

This implies that the Chicks might kill each other....