PDA

View Full Version : My Woodworking Project - Low Dresser

Let's Roll
04-10-2011, 12:08 PM
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5038/lowdresser1.jpg

Some of the woodworkers or other craftsman here at PA may be interested in a project I completed.
The low dresser is a copy of an antique. I only had access to the original for about an hour, after work. The work was done from photos, tracings and precise measurements.
Although I used power tools to make this, I used hand tools whenever I could. I never used a jointer during this project, hand planes only.
The dresser was started in December of 1994, everything except the hardware was completed in June of 2005. I installed the hardware today.

Some of the specs:
1: Made of solid White Oak and Honduran Rosewood veneer. The veneer runs the perimeter of each drawer face, also along the front and sides of the top.
The grain runs "the short way" to accent the piece, with miters in every corner.
2: Legs roughed with a bandsaw, then shaped by hand with spokeshaves and carving gouge.
3: Mortise and tenon joinery throughout. Joints locked with handmade pegs.
4: Dovetailed drawers; half blind in front, full in back.
5: Modified friction drawer runner, using 1/2" aluminum angle.
6: Water based satin finish, hand applied. 14 coats on the top, wet sanded to 600 grit. 8 coats everywhere else.
7: Hardware backing plates made by hand from solid brass.
8: About 650.00 in materials, several hundred hours of work.

Dave Schwartz
04-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Beautiful work.

Personally, I don't know the first thing about woodworking but have a son who dreams about how he can make it a profitable business.

I've seen some of the stuff he creates and it is simply amazing!

I bet you have a great shop, yes? Perhaps a picture or two of that as well?

Dave

Let's Roll
04-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Thank You !
I do not have a shop. I was able to do band saw work in a bosses shop.
During the time I did this work I would make set ups outside my apartment, in the driveway, but once I helped build a house and used the new garage for a few days. All the carving was done in my lap, while sitting on a heavy packing blanket on the kitchen floor.
Good luck to your son !

ArlJim78
04-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks for sharing. That's really some exquisite work you've done there.

hcap
04-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Very impressive. What other projects have you done? I ran a commercial shop for years.

HUSKER55
04-10-2011, 03:14 PM
That is really nice! Thanks for sharing.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Let's Roll
04-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Very impressive. What other projects have you done? I ran a commercial shop for years.
Thank you, glad you like it. I worked in cabinet shops for almost 10 years.My work is on both coasts.
Gave it up, to get out of shops and see the world. I started building things
when I was child, I was given my first hammer when I was 3 years old.Too many projects to list or even remember, except for the ones I made that are still here at home.
My last 2 projects were fun to make. I designed a coffe table made from American Chestnut, which is extinct, and herringbone inlays of African Padauk and Honduran Rosewood accents. The other was a holder for a plastic window box, done up to look like an old fashioned toolbox, complete with a round bar for a handle. Box joints in every corner and tiny feet that I clad in copper.
Hcap, I saw your work in another thread a while back. That was the Plexiglass stuff, correct? Looked very nice, I am sure, but not my style, as you could imagine.

hcap
04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Well at one time there was a market for high end acrylic.

However I recognize fine woodworking, and the skill and attention to detail required. I think when you get to understand your own area of expertise, you are able spot sophisticated abilities in other craftsmen, outside your own field.

Nice work.

Let's Roll
04-10-2011, 07:36 PM
.....I think when you get to understand your own area of expertise, you are able spot sophisticated abilities in other craftsmen, outside your own field......

I agree 100%, Hcap, and I really do admire the skills of others. There is so much more I want to try, and so little time.