PDA

View Full Version : Champagne Terranova

gm10
04-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Just had a quick look at my numbers for Keeneland yesterday.
Terranova's three winners all seem to have stepped big time, two of them in only their second race since joining his stable.
Any opinions?

PhantomOnTour
04-10-2011, 12:06 PM
James Covello was part owner of all three.
He also owned the 2nd place runner in R6 for Terranova.

Sekrah
04-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Just had a quick look at my numbers for Keeneland yesterday.
Terranova's three winners all seem to have stepped big time, two of them in only their second race since joining his stable.
Any opinions?

They were all Thorograph/Jerry Brown recommended purchases. I'm sure just a fluke to the sheet doubters on here.

PhantomOnTour
04-10-2011, 01:33 PM
They were all Thorograph/Jerry Brown recommended purchases. I'm sure just a fluke to the sheet doubters on here.
Interesting...many trainers now use the Sheets to gauge whether or not to make a claim. Tom Amoss does.
How did you know about the recommendation? Is this a normal move for his owners and Terranova?

Sekrah
04-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Interesting...many trainers now use the Sheets to gauge whether or not to make a claim. Tom Amoss does.
How did you know about the recommendation? Is this a normal move for his owners and Terranova?

It's pretty well documented on the Thorograph forums. James Covello is a regular poster there.

gm10
04-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Very interesting. I haven't had time to spend more time on this, but it seems to me that they read the form (Sheets) very attentively.

PaceAdvantage
04-10-2011, 03:12 PM
They were all Thorograph/Jerry Brown recommended purchases. I'm sure just a fluke to the sheet doubters on here.Just curious. Is "here" a place filled with sheet doubters? I can't recall such a contingent...and if that's true, has the rest of the Internet been converted, with "here" being the last, stubborn holdout?

PhantomOnTour
04-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Tag V Eye runs 3rd for Terranova at 10-1 in R6 at KEE...not owned by Covello.

Sekrah
04-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Just curious. Is "here" a place filled with sheet doubters? I can't recall such a contingent...and if that's true, has the rest of the Internet been converted, with "here" being the last, stubborn holdout?

Not a large contingent, but there's a few here that come out whenever the topic comes up

classhandicapper
04-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm sure just a fluke to the sheet doubters on here.

I don't think I've ever met a Sheet/TG doubter.

What's to doubt?

Both are high quality speed figures. In general speed figures will help you identify horses that are stronger or weaker than the average for the class. So they should be useful for purchasing horses.

What people object to is the notion that pace doesn't impact time except in extreme situations, there are no biased tracks except for bad rails, that bouncing explains many of the fluctuations in figures we see when most people think physical reactions are less of an issue and it often has more to do with changes in bias, trip, pace, track condition etc...

The figures are fine.

The problem is the methodology. It's an attempt to make a complex game easy. Perhaps a player can be successful with such a limited view. There may even be an advantage to it for beginners. But IMO you can't possibly be as successful as someone that actually understands the game and is also using high quality figures.

Fastracehorse
04-10-2011, 09:46 PM

.....it had anything to do w/ the sheets; that they ran so well; 'not that there's anything wrong w/ that' (being recommended by the sheets )

fffastt

PhantomOnTour
05-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Lost a brutal photo yesterday at 8-1 with Vee's Accolade and runs 2nd in the opener today at about 30-1 in a 7 horse field. He had a 5-2 winner on opening day.
The dude is hot.