PDA

View Full Version : 25-to-1 on The Factor

The WindfallAngler
04-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Looking better and better, after this weekend's Wood & S.A. Derby shockers.

olddaddy
04-10-2011, 01:42 AM
He closed at 32-1 in the 2nd derby pool. If you liked him in the 1st pool, you should have liked him a little more in the 2nd.

The WindfallAngler
04-10-2011, 03:18 AM
Nah, I was busy with more mundane activities that weekend. :bang: And likely wouldn't have pressed my bet, based on Uncle Mo-oriented publicity, the week before--but no longer.

Mo's aura of invincibility has dimmed noticeably, don't you think? Congrats! if you bet The Factor at that ("even better") price.

olddaddy
04-10-2011, 03:51 AM
The way things are going any horse I have in the futures that goes into the gate for the derby will make me happy.

AgainstAllOdds
04-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I think The Factor will go into the Derby as the favorite. Good luck with ever getting close to 25/1. It's just not going to happen.

showbet
04-10-2011, 03:50 PM
I think The Factor will go into the Derby as the favorite. Good luck with ever getting close to 25/1. It's just not going to happen.
The OP was referring to The Factor's final odds in the Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 1 (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/content/kentucky-derby-future-wager-pool-1-final-odds).

joanied
04-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I watched his latest work on HRTV this morning...colt looked like a monster out there...he has such a great way of going, gives me goosebumps...won't surprise me if he wins again on Saturday, even with a ,IMO, really deep field...I can't wait:jump: I think The Factor can get the Derby distance, as long as Martin gets him into that cruising speed and things go right...

Pell Mell
04-11-2011, 09:45 PM
And the funny thing with Baffert is that I think the best horse he has didn't even make a start this year. Made 1 start as a 2yr old, won and got injured. Has been working lights out for almost 2 mos. I can't wait to see him run and bred to run all day and into the next.

Watch for SMASH! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

toetoe
04-11-2011, 11:15 PM
This thread reminds me to shop for a future price on my Oaks filly, Summer Soiree. Sorry to hear she was taken from Larry Jones, whose own Joyful Victory is no slouchess.

I know (I think I know) the former closed at 50/1 in DRF's only Oaks pool, and the latter at 20/1.

joanied
04-12-2011, 09:08 AM
And the funny thing with Baffert is that I think the best horse he has didn't even make a start this year. Made 1 start as a 2yr old, won and got injured. Has been working lights out for almost 2 mos. I can't wait to see him run and bred to run all day and into the next.

Watch for SMASH! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I did hear something about this colt, maybe in passing on HRTV... yes, great pedigree ...Smart Strike out of a Dixieland Band mare...love his name too. Wonder what his injury was...maybe just bucked shins?
Maybe Baffert is thinking Belmont Stakes for this one? He sure has the time to get ready for it.

Dahoss9698
04-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Maybe Baffert is thinking Belmont Stakes for this one? He sure has the time to get ready for it.

He does? The Belmont is 2 months away and Smash has made one start in July of last year, a 5 furlong sprint.

joanied
04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
He does? The Belmont is 2 months away and Smash has made one start in July of last year, a 5 furlong sprint.

Stranger things have happened. I have no real info on Smash, other than what's been posted...if he's working as mentioned, Baffert may be very close to getting a race into him...and Baffert knows how to get a horse fit off of works...
I shouldn't have used the word 'sure'...
leave it to you to try and make a big deal out of it....

Cardus
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Baffert should run Smash in the Belmont Stakes off of works only.

Dahoss9698
04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Stranger things have happened. I have no real info on Smash, other than what's been posted...if he's working as mentioned, Baffert may be very close to getting a race into him...and Baffert knows how to get a horse fit off of works...
I shouldn't have used the word 'sure'...
leave it to you to try and make a big deal out of it....

I didn't try and make a big deal out of anything. He's been working for months. Something was obviously wrong last year and the fact it's taken him this long to get near racing shape can't be looked at as a positive.

Based on his debut, he could be very nice. But, the chances of him running in the Belmont are close to zero. It has nothing to do with getting a horse ready off of works. It has to do with thinking a little. What would be the point of trying to make a 12 furlong race in 2 months, when you are so far behind as it is?

I would not be surprised to see him show up in the 7 furlong Woody Stephens at Belmont (formerly the Riva Ridge) if he makes a start in the near future.

joanied
04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I didn't try and make a big deal out of anything. He's been working for months. Something was obviously wrong last year and the fact it's taken him this long to get near racing shape can't be looked at as a positive.

Based on his debut, he could be very nice. But, the chances of him running in the Belmont are close to zero. It has nothing to do with getting a horse ready off of works. It has to do with thinking a little. What would be the point of trying to make a 12 furlong race in 2 months, when you are so far behind as it is?

I would not be surprised to see him show up in the 7 furlong Woody Stephens at Belmont (formerly the Riva Ridge) if he makes a start in the near future.

OK...but you can't blame me for thinking you would, since you have always enjoyed giving me a hard time;) and I wanted this to be a good exchange of thoughts...

I admit, I blew it in saying anything about the Belmont...my bad...I know better than that. But to tell you the truth, my mind has been spinning the last few weeks because we are deep into our farming operation, this time of the year is crazy for us, and I've been having to deal with an aged mom (she's 99) about a 2 hour drive from here...it's been a tough few weeks, so forgive me not thinking quite right these days. I just have no time for getting into the horses, which sucks because this is the best time of the year for it.

I hope he does show up in the Woody Stephens...it'll be fun to follow this one....when I have the time!!