PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone's favorite type of bets?

trying2win
10-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Would be interesting to see what PA members list as their favorite kind of bets (like some of the one's listed below, or any other additional ones), plus why they like their favorite kind of bets:

1. Win

2. Win and place

3. Win and show

4. Win, and a few exactor bets as the place bet

5. Exactor

6. Triactor

7. Daily Double etc.

Regards,

Trying2win

Tom
10-22-2003, 07:57 PM
....winning ones! ;)

Fastracehorse
10-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Win betting is hard, too many close misses but a must for long-priced PB's.

P-3's can get a nice return for a modest investment but have a lower hit % than win betting.

Doubles are easier.

fffastt

Bubbles
10-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Also a fan of doubles. They provide a bit of a challenge, and, with some luck, can produce big bucks. I also kinda like part-wheel exactas, which, when played right, are just complicated place bets with higher payoffs.

shanta
10-22-2003, 09:21 PM
WIN BETTING ! THIS IS THE ONLY WAGER I MAKE. NO PLACE BETS, NO EXOTICS, NOTHING. IT IS TOUGH WATCHING A GOOD PRICED HORSE I PLAYED TO WIN RUN 2ND AND I GET NOTHING FOR IT BUT I KNOW THROUGH EXTENSIVE RECORD KEEPING THAT IN THE LONG RUN THIS IS DEFINATELY FOR ME THE MOST PROFITABLE WAY TO WAGER! HAD 2 (35/1 )SHOTS IN THE PAST WEEK AND A HALF RUN SECOND BY A HEAD AND A NECK. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO ONE EVER SAID THIS WOULD BE EASY HA!!!!!!:rolleyes:

trying2win
10-22-2003, 10:16 PM
--Win bets...prefer betting on a four-figure mutuel horse (Rarely have a bet on a five-figure one).

--Exactor bets...They can pay surprisingly well. Especially if you have at least one longshot in a winning exactor combination.

--Daily Double bets...I employ this kind of wager less often than exactors...Prefer occasions when I like two horses in each half of the double, and none of the horses are likely to go off as the favorite.

--Place bets... Only on occasion. I like to bet this way when a pressing or closing style of horse is going off at a half-decent price in a turf race. It may seem strange, but betting to place in this scenario has worked out better than win betting.

Regards,

Trying2win

so.cal.fan
10-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Win bets.

Lefty
10-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Mostly win bets, an ex once in a while.

so.cal.fan
10-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Now this is interesting!
Obviously, betting styles are not political issues!
Lefty, a staunch conservative bets mostly to win.
So. Cal. Fan......well, not a staunch conservative does too!

Valuist
10-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Favorite or most profitable?

Probably my favorite is the Pic 3, especially after 2 legs and being alive to a few horses with mouth watering payoffs. Only problem is that for every 3 race sequence, there's often one chaos race.

Most profitable? Maybe exactas where I key 15-1 to 25-1 shots in the second slot.

pmd62ndst
10-23-2003, 01:47 PM
The Place Pick All is by far my "favorite" wager. First of all, it forces me to handicap the entire card before the 1st race so when I handicap a race later, I feel like I'm already familiar with it and I may be able to see something different the second time around.

This is also a great bet for those who don't like to make Place bets but see a lot of their picks finish 2nd anyway.

I also love hedging my Place Pick All on the rare occasion that I'm still in it on the last race of the day by wagering an exacta box on all other horses, because your horse only has to finish second to win the place pick all.

The negatives: Picking a longshot who wins but having to share the pot with an odds-on favorite who finished second. Heavy favorites placing can also lead to measly $20 payouts. Also, payouts rarely exceed a couple thousand.

Too bad only California tracks offer this. If I am wrong, please let me know what other tracks have this.

PMD

trying2win
10-23-2003, 03:43 PM
--Awhile ago, while scanning some results from some greyhound tracks, I noticed one track offered a bet called the QUINELLA DOUBLE on some races.

-- It's similar to a daily double, only you have to pick two winning quinellas in a row. I wonder if any thoroughbred or harness tracks in the U.S. or Canada have ever thought of implementing this type of bet.

--I notice a few U.S. tracks offer the TWIN TRIFECTA (don't think there many). Of course, that operates on the same principle as a QUINELLA DOUBLE, only the payoffs are obviously going to be much larger!

--With a QUINELLA DOUBLE, at least you'd have a chance at a bigger payoff more often, than a single quinella bet. Don't like the single quinella bet. Too many of the payoffs are meager.

Trying2win