PDA

View Full Version : Woman sentenced to indefinite jury duty

GaryG
04-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Can a judge do this? He didn't like her answers on the questionaire, so she will be on jury duty until he sees fit to release her?

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/04/06/2011-04-06_verdict_yer_a_joke_judge_forces_woman_to_eterna l_jury_duty_after_racist_remarks_.html

Tom
04-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Garbage on the bench. Can smell him from here.
He should definitely be removed.

She was totally in her rights to her opinion - I suggest she get in touch with Gloria Allred and sue his arse for violating her constitutional rights.

Obviously, her course of action now should be to deadlock every trial she is forced to be on.

Mike at A+
04-06-2011, 09:57 PM
There is a thin line between racism and awareness of crime demographics. Or so they say.

PaceAdvantage
04-07-2011, 01:51 AM
I would say the judge certainly has the authority to do this, and that woman got what was coming to her for being a moron.

JustRalph
04-07-2011, 02:28 AM
"It is not unheard of for people to try to get out of jury service by making ridiculous statements concerning their views."

this is an old trick........ it works often......... she was trying to pull the "get of jury duty" scam and the judge wasn't hearing it.

bigmack
04-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Vincent "Vinny Gorgeous" Basciano has already been found guilty of murder and has been sentenced to life in prison. This Fed trial is for an ordered mob hit and he faces the death penalty.

First, mob hits should be legalized and secondly, a woman in her 20's who works in the garment district doesn't have the mental capacity to sit on such a jury.

Besides, she's needed 18 hours/day at a sewing machine. The real injustice is that she needs to belong to a union. :cool:

TJDave
04-07-2011, 02:42 AM
She was totally in her rights to her opinion

However, she was being a d**k. And being a d**k trumps anything else.

It's the law.

Look it up. :rolleyes:

bigmack
04-07-2011, 02:52 AM
However, she was being a d**k. And being a d**k trumps anything else.
A dank, dark, duck on a dock at dusk?

newtothegame
04-07-2011, 05:30 AM
I possibly missed something in this story....and that's ok. It happens.
But, in this day and age where everyone is trying to be poltically correct, trying not to offend, and usually lying about themselves through words, is it possible that this was this ladies honest opinions?
I know from the story the judge seemed to be taken back by her comments.....
Would the better answer have been for her to lie and say whatever was appropriate for the judge??
Personally, if this was her true feelings, I applaud her for being honest!
Now if she was just being a smart azz...well she got what she deserved.

Robert Goren
04-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I think the judge believes what I believe. She was trying to get out of jury duty by putting down answers that she thinks will get her dismissed. If that is case, then the judge is send a message to others who might be tempted to try it. "It won't work on me."

Robert Goren
04-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Every time I read about a someone trying to get of jury duty, I think of the late "gold bug" Harry Browne who ran as the libertarian candidate for president in the 1990s. In a book ( How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World)he wrote in 1973, he suggested that you should unregister to vote so you couldn't be called to jury duty. I often wonder how many votes he lost because people followed his advice.

Tom
04-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I think the judge believes what I believe. She was trying to get out of jury duty by putting down answers that she thinks will get her dismissed. If that is case, then the judge is send a message to others who might be tempted to try it. "It won't work on me."

His opinion.
Opinions vary.
Where's his proof?

I hope this starts an avalanche of such answers.
Screw this civic duty BS about serving.
Maybe people can't afford it - maybe they don't WANT to sit on a murder trail.

We owe the government nothing.

GaryG
04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Maybe she was trying to avoid jury duty, but maybe those were merely her opinions. Lesson here is: Don't call a spade a spade on an app for jury duty, else you will be busted by the PC police.

woodtoo
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Sometimes the truth hurts more than you want.:D

Saratoga_Mike
04-07-2011, 02:01 PM
The judge reversed course yesterday - she's off the hook.

JustRalph
04-07-2011, 03:44 PM
The judge reversed course yesterday - she's off the hook.

yep, he was warning all those in the future to not use that tactic

Tom
04-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Obviously, her course of action now should be to deadlock every trial she is forced to be on.

Screw him and the horse he rode in on.