PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Pacific Classic

SmartyParty
04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
When is it? And what hotel is closest to Del Mar? And ... how do you go about getting tickets? Thanks!

Mineshaft
04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
it was Aug 19th last year so i would presume around that time this year. Usually its a Sunday race.

Stillriledup
04-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Aug 28th this year.

NTamm1215
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM
When is it? And what hotel is closest to Del Mar? And ... how do you go about getting tickets? Thanks!

They have a very good website, so the info should be on there. The Del Mar Hilton is nice and super convenient. L'Auberge is very nice as well and close, I've stayed in both and they were great.

You'll love it, even if the race is run on that ridiculous surface. A day at Del Mar is tough to beat (still behind Saratoga). Enjoy!

toussaud
04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
pretty sure it is the same day as the travers this year because I'm' going to one or the other and I remember looking at this last year.

NTamm1215
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Sunday, August 28th is the date.

SmartyParty
04-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Yep! I just found it on their webpage. Is the Hilton within walking distance of the track so I don't have to rent a car?

Stillriledup
04-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Yep! I just found it on their webpage. Is the Hilton within walking distance of the track so I don't have to rent a car?

If you stay at hilton you dont need a car. Its on the other side of the track, so it will take you about 10 mins to walk from the hotel to the gates.

NTamm1215
04-04-2011, 08:59 PM

Yes, it's within walking distance. The issue with that would be that Del Mar is pretty far from the airport and you'll have more dining options with a vehicle. The Brig is worth going to if you can, the experience is what makes it great.

Stillriledup
04-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Yes, it's within walking distance. The issue with that would be that Del Mar is pretty far from the airport and you'll have more dining options with a vehicle. The Brig is worth going to if you can, the experience is what makes it great.

The best dining options if you stay at the Hilton and are within walking distance are the Fish Market, which is pretty good, you have Red Tractons which is a steak place (but they have non steak dishes) and you have The Pamplemousse, which is pricey but amazingly good. Those are the best 3 places that are the shortest walk from the Hilton. (the restaurants are only a 5 min walk from the hotel)

The Brig is probably a 10/15 minute walk (up a hill) from the Hilton, but if you like Fish Taco's, this is the place.

bigmack
04-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Don't walk away without having the Oysters Rock.

horses4courses
04-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Watch for Baffert to point this guy for a three-peat in the Classic there.

It's going to take a big effort from someone to stop him - assuming that he is fit, and enjoys a similar campaign leading up to the race as before.

He's not the most talented of stakes horses but He Loves Del Mar!!!

Pay no attention to that Dubai trip this winter.
If Baffert can get the horse ready for Del Mar, you can pay for your trip!!!

Stillriledup
04-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Watch for Baffert to point this guy for a three-peat in the Classic there.

It's going to take a big effort from someone to stop him - assuming that he is fit, and enjoys a similar campaign leading up to the race as before.

He's not the most talented of stakes horses but He Loves Del Mar!!!

Pay no attention to that Dubai trip this winter.
If Baffert can get the horse ready for Del Mar, you can pay for your trip!!!

Misremembered might be another horse who goes into this race for Baffert. Bob might have more than one monster in there.

horses4courses
04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Misremembered might be another horse who goes into this race for Baffert. Bob might have more than one monster in there.

He'll win races with that horse, for sure, but my handle is "horses4courses", and Richard's Kid fits the bill at Del Mar on the carpet - especially in late August.

SmartyParty
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Wasn't the Pacific Classic the only two races that Richard's Kid won from 2009-2010? I remember it was pretty impressive!

1GCFAN
04-04-2011, 10:22 PM
The Courtyard at Solana Beach is very nice and walking distance. Several free computers in the lobby. Nice bar and pool. Stayed there last year for The PAC Classic Weekend. Don't forget to go to the Pamplemousse Grill in Solana Beach!

horses4courses
04-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Wasn't the Pacific Classic the only two races that Richard's Kid won from 2009-2010? I remember it was pretty impressive!

He won the G2 San Antonio at SA on 2-7-10 in between Pacific Classic wins.
After Del Mar 2010, he won the G1 Goodwood at the OTH meeting on Oct 2nd.
He has been far from a winning machine, though. He's a good late running horse, who happens to love the Del Mar surface.

Why they tried Dubai again this year with him is beyond me.
I guess it's because Zabeel Racing wanted to go there with him, but 3 tries over there have all resulted in sub-par efforts.

Let's hope he is back with BB soon, and that he can get 2 races into him at Hollywood - the Gold Cup, and one other.
That should set him up nicely for Pacific Classic #3 - provided no monsters show a liking for the carpet there.

Let's face it, the older stakes horse division in California hasn't been overly strong in recent years.

Stillriledup
04-04-2011, 11:04 PM
The Courtyard at Solana Beach is very nice and walking distance. Several free computers in the lobby. Nice bar and pool. Stayed there last year for The PAC Classic Weekend. Don't forget to go to the Pamplemousse Grill in Solana Beach!

I second the Pamplemousse. If you have a winning day, treat yourself, this might be the best food in Del Mar.

Marlin
04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
I second the Pamplemousse. If you have a winning day, treat yourself, this might be the best food in Del Mar.That says a ton considering the food in Del Mar is amazing.

bigmack
04-04-2011, 11:29 PM
I second the Pamplemousse. If you have a winning day, treat yourself, this might be the best food in Del Mar.
Given you have to cash a bond to get the rib eye or take out a second mortgage to have the sea bass, it oughta be.

cj
04-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Can we get through the Triple Crown before we worry about a rubber race nobody will care about? Most of the horses you think will be there won't make the race.

bigmack
04-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Can we get through the Triple Crown before we worry about a rubber race nobody will care about? Most of the horses you think will be there won't make the race.
Party pooper.

I was about to ask who they thought would take the BC Classic in '12.

Stillriledup
04-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Given you have to cash a bond to get the rib eye or take out a second mortgage to have the sea bass, it oughta be.

No doubt, that's why i said 'if you have a winning day'!