PDA

View Full Version : Parker Wins Half Of The Races On Saturday and Sunday @ Mountaineer

Bruiser1
04-04-2011, 04:48 PM
DeShawn Parker has won 10 races over the past two days and 14 races over the past three days @ Mountaineer. Keeping in mind, he didn't have mounts in every race, he might have won more.

This is quite a streak.

Sekrah
04-04-2011, 04:51 PM
One of the most overrated jockeys on the low-level circuit. He goes to Tampa in the winter and they make a fool of him.

Bruiser1
04-04-2011, 05:17 PM
One of the most overrated jockeys on the low-level circuit. He goes to Tampa in the winter and they make a fool of him.

I don't care what circuit a jockey is riding on, to win as much as he does is something. This guy is a very talented jockey.

What impresses me is his work ethic. He rides in a lot of races and I've even seen him pick up a mount on some cheap claimer on a given night.

But, there's little doubt, he is streaky.

As for Tampa, he's had something like 15 wins this year from a handful of mounts. I'd bet if he were riding there full time, he'd probably dominate there too.

rrpic6
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM

He did not take his agent with him to Tampa. Parker credits Johnson with his success. He is no ones fool. His dominance at MNR is hurting the longshot guys that used to count on chaos galore there. Its got to be one of the chalkiest tracks around now.

RR

Sekrah
04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
As for Tampa, he's had something like 15 wins this year from a handful of mounts. I'd bet if he were riding there full time, he'd probably dominate there too.

13 wins from 155 mounts. (8%)

He's routinely the least talented jockey in the gates when you put him in the same race as Morales, Feliciano, Centano, Homeister, L.Gonzalez, Villa-Gomez, W.Martinez, D.Coa, RD Allen Jr.

Same thing with Dana Whitney when he left Mountaineer for Penn National. He's an average jockey there.

The worst jockeys in the country are on the runner ups at Mountaineer.

Sekrah
04-04-2011, 06:22 PM
He did not take his agent with him to Tampa. Parker credits Johnson with his success. He is no ones fool. His dominance at MNR is hurting the longshot guys that used to count on chaos galore there. Its got to be one of the chalkiest tracks around now.

RR

Precisely. At MNR he's the best jockey among a bunch of goof balls and gets all the ready horses. Tampa Bay is one of my top tracks I wager on. I haven't seen any brilliant riding from Parker at all this winter.

rrpic6
04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Precisely. At MNR he's the best jockey among a bunch of goof balls and gets all the ready horses. Tampa Bay is one of my top tracks I wager on. I haven't seen any brilliant riding from Parker at all this winter.

That means all the other top jockeys at Tampa got the most fit horses. Your logic needs some tinkering.

RR

Bruiser1
04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
13 wins from 155 mounts. (8%)

He's routinely the least talented jockey in the gates when you put him in the same race as Morales, Feliciano, Centano, Homeister, L.Gonzalez, Villa-Gomez, W.Martinez, D.Coa, RD Allen Jr.

Same thing with Dana Whitney when he left Mountaineer for Penn National. He's an average jockey there.

The worst jockeys in the country are on the runner ups at Mountaineer.

The problem with your statement is at least four of the jockeys you mentioned have riden @ Mountaineer last year. I didn't see them having any 5 win nights.

captainhot
04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't say that Parker was made a fool of at Tampa. This was his first year down there, and he didn't do all that bad. It's always tough to be the new jock in unfamiliar territory. Ronnie Allen Jr., who has always done well at Tampa, has been great this year (especially after Rosemary and Centeno went to the sidelines.) I believe the most talented rider down there was Leandro Goncalves, yet stats-wise, he was not the top rider. Give Deshawn a break, the kid rides hard, and wins more than his share.

rrpic6
04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't say that Parker was made a fool of at Tampa. This was his first year down there, and he didn't do all that bad. It's always tough to be the new jock in unfamiliar territory. Ronnie Allen Jr., who has always done well at Tampa, has been great this year (especially after Rosemary and Centeno went to the sidelines.) I believe the most talented rider down there was Leandro Goncalves, yet stats-wise, he was not the top rider. Give Deshawn a break, the kid rides hard, and wins more than his share.

Ronnie Allen is a perfect example of why Sekra is way off base. Allen used to ride at MNR off and on for the past 20 years. He had average stats and would disappear for months and years. Now established at Tampa, he has a good agent and connections, thus picks up live mounts, thus has good stats.

Also, Parker is no kid, he's 40. He not only wins more than his share....he won more than any jockey in America in 2010!

RR

Mineshaft
04-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Parker was at Oaklawn last year and didnt do nothing

Sekrah
04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm not a huge Ronnie Allen fan. If you look at ROI he's lacking too. But Parker's ROI has been horrible everywhere he's been. He doesn't roll home the fringe 10-1 shots.

He's just a terrible bet everywhere he rides. And yes, he did zip at Oaklawn. If he was worth anything he'd have established himself at a stronger track than Mountaineer by now. Jeremy Rose isn't stuck at Delaware Park anymore.

rrpic6
04-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm not a huge Ronnie Allen fan. If you look at ROI he's lacking too. But Parker's ROI has been horrible everywhere he's been. He doesn't roll home the fringe 10-1 shots.

He's just a terrible bet everywhere he rides. And yes, he did zip at Oaklawn. If he was worth anything he'd have established himself at a stronger track than Mountaineer by now. Jeremy Rose isn't stuck at Delaware Park anymore.

Your posts are getting ridiculous. The guy was the leading jockey in wins in 2010. He lives in East Liverpool Ohio with his wife and teenage kids. What motivation would he have to establish himself anywhere else? Do 40 year olds just pick up and leave their job for a similar one in another town when they are number one in their home town?

Do you have any idea how important an agent is to a jockey? Mike Smith, Richard Migliore and Chris Antley struggled when trying to move into California. Pat Valenzuela had about a 3% winning percentage at Gulfstream in the mid 90's when he was first kicked out of California. P Val's stats at Louisiana Downs were about the same the past few years when he was kicked out again as they are now. Does that mean he is terrible because his stats are worse at a similar track or the same at a lesser level one?

RR

therussmeister
04-04-2011, 11:28 PM
How many 10-1 horses does Parker ride at Mnr?

Sekrah
04-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Your posts are getting ridiculous. The guy was the leading jockey in wins in 2010. He lives in East Liverpool Ohio with his wife and teenage kids. What motivation would he have to establish himself anywhere else? Do 40 year olds just pick up and leave their job for a similar one in another town when they are number one in their home town?

Do you have any idea how important an agent is to a jockey? Mike Smith, Richard Migliore and Chris Antley struggled when trying to move into California. Pat Valenzuela had about a 3% winning percentage at Gulfstream in the mid 90's when he was first kicked out of California. P Val's stats at Louisiana Downs were about the same the past few years when he was kicked out again as they are now. Does that mean he is terrible because his stats are worse at a similar track or the same at a lesser level one?

RR

Umm Are you serious? HE PICKS UP AND LEAVES TOWN FOR THE WINTER EVERY YEAR. He gets his ass kicked when he's not fed his dose of 4/5 Mountaineer chalkers.

You judge jockeys by RETURN ON INVESTMENT. Not winning percentage! I weigh 50 pounds more than Parker and I could win a few on the horses he gets at Mountaineer every night. Winning percentage is not an indicator of the skill of a jockey.

Great jockeys roll in the horses that the public doesn't figure.

At Santa Anita, Corey Nakatani wins at 17% clip behind a handful of more established guys. But if you bet him blindly every race this winter you would finish up. There's not a jockey I'd rather have than Nakatani. He's one of the best in the business. WHEREVER HE GOES, his rides outperform public expectations. He's routinely at the top of the ROI list at every track he races at. That's the sign of a great jockey.

Rafael Bejarano and Joel Rosario (Both 22% win jocks) don't have a speck of the ability Nakatani does.

rrpic6
04-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Umm Are you serious? HE PICKS UP AND LEAVES TOWN FOR THE WINTER EVERY YEAR. He gets his ass kicked when he's not fed his dose of 4/5 Mountaineer chalkers.

You judge jockeys by RETURN ON INVESTMENT. Not winning percentage! I weigh 50 pounds more than Parker and I could win a few on the horses he gets at Mountaineer every night. Winning percentage is not an indicator of the skill of a jockey.

Great jockeys roll in the horses that the public doesn't figure.

At Santa Anita, Corey Nakatani wins at 17% clip behind a handful of more established guys. But if you bet him blindly every race this winter you would finish up. There's not a jockey I'd rather have than Nakatani. He's one of the best in the business. WHEREVER HE GOES, his rides outperform public expectations. He's routinely at the top of the ROI list at every track he races at. That's the sign of a great jockey.

Rafael Bejarano and Joel Rosario (Both 22% win jocks) don't have a speck of the ability Nakatani does.

The reason Parker "leaves town every winter" is that MNR is closed for two months. He has a tremendous work ethic, going to Presque Isle Downs during mid-week in the summers, while riding at MNR the rest of the week.

Nakatani left California a few years back to ride at Oaklawn. Do you know why he left? His win percentage was below 10%, he was pissing off owners and trainers and he was switching agents. Bejarano came from Turfway and Rosario from Golden Gate. They made the transition very easy due to their enormous talent, plus having great agents. Maybe Vic Staufer is reading this thread and can clue you in, because you are clueless!

RR

Knowclew
04-05-2011, 07:43 AM
I fall short of defending Parker as a "top" rider, in fact I feel he may be a little overrated at times. He does have serious skills though. That said, his meet at TB wasn't that bad. TB has a decent colony, and the same riders and trainers are there every year...the cliques are similar to the Mtn, even with a much shorter season.

I think Parker's biggest hurdle at other tracks is the fact that almost no
Mtn trainers travel during the winter. He doesn't have a "go to" stable
to put him on a few live ones to get him noticed.

I also have a hunch these trips in Jan-Feb are working vacations for him.
He does bust his butt at the Mtn., and it is a long season there.

This ends the only time I will ever defend Parker. He can now continue to run over my price shots with his parade of chalk:bang:.

Sekrah
04-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Nakatani left California a few years back to ride at Oaklawn. Do you know why he left? His win percentage was below 10%, he was pissing off owners and trainers and he was switching agents. Bejarano came from Turfway and Rosario from Golden Gate. They made the transition very easy due to their enormous talent, plus having great agents. Maybe Vic Staufer is reading this thread and can clue you in, because you are clueless!

Umm, you're still not getting it. Nobody is arguing whether Nakatani is an a-hole or not. He clearly is. This is well documented. When it comes to pure jockeying skill, he's one of the best in the country BAR-NONE. We're not talking about which jockey makes nice with all the trainers and sucks ass into getting the best rides.

jotb
04-06-2011, 01:31 PM

I'm slightly confused..Is Parker a bad rider because he doesn't have the natural talent or is he a bad rider because of his ROI?