PDA

View Full Version : WHat I don't get about the SPCA..

sq764
10-22-2003, 01:27 PM
Ok, someone correct me if I am wrong here.. The SPCA’s of each state get state money to run the shelters, right? If so, how can they justify charging $175-$250 to adopt a pet??

To me, this somewhat discourages people from adopting a pet from the shelter, if for no other reason than the fact that you can get a new puppy from a breeder for that price (with some exceptions). I know these prices vary, as in Delaware they charge $40 to adopt and that includes neutering the pet for you.. But in PA, this place is charging $175..

Am I missing something here??

Tom
10-22-2003, 07:08 PM
1. They desperatley need money to stay in operation and care for the animals.

2. They are trying to discourage the many, many, sick humanoids out there who masquare as humans from getting a pet and then mistreating it.

Other than my taxes, the only charities I support are for animal shelters. They get a set percentage of my winnings no matter how much that comes out to. When I saw what the Red CRoss and United way were doing with donations, I said never again.
I would burn a dollar before I gave it to either of these shams.

GameTheory
10-22-2003, 07:20 PM
I think the SPCA is totally separate from the municipal animal shelter in some cities/states. Most animal shelters run by local government keep the dogs/cats for a few days/weeks, then if they are not adopted, put them to sleep. Like 95% of the animals are put to sleep. But some SPCA shelters NEVER put the animals down (unless they are rabid or seriously injured or something), and just keep them until someone adopts them or can otherwise be rescued. Conditions are usually much better as well. Some city shelters are horrific.

But the dogs I've gotten from the pound were about $40...

andicap
10-23-2003, 12:41 AM
Remember the SPCA is paying for the dogs' shots and to have them fixed/spayed as well as other routine medical care.

Hammerhead
10-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Tom
I am really pleased that someone is doing for these animals.
I lived for almost 15 years on a dead end street that ran parallel to the Great South Bay. I can not recall all the abandon animals left there. I took care of many including deer possumes and racoons. My doors were literaly open for them 24/7 in the bad weather.
I have had 30 - 40 cats at any given time. Most after a few weeks turned ferral but always showed up for there grub at sunrise and sunset. I had a butcher that sold me ground chicken around 12 - 15 lbs a week and I bought 20lb bags of dry food along with a case of the 13oz cans of Wal-Mart cat food.
After a few weeks what a sight to watch them all setting there waiting when I got home. Later at night the posumes and racoons showed up. Maney times after dark they would all eat together and lay around the deck. Tough not being able to get to close to them.
When they had young they would'nt bring them out until they were 4 - 6 monthes.
I volunteer at a small shelter on Sundays and have 5 cats I saved when I had to move.
Keep up the good work.
:)