PDA

View Full Version : Stay Thirsty

Shelby
04-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I have a question.

Why are they putting blinkers on after winning the Grade 3 Gotham?

joanied
04-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Usually it's to give them more focus...may do him some good, although I always have concerns about blinkers because a horse that hangs won't see another horse coming until it's almost too late...of course, it also depends on the size of the blinker cup.

Shelby
04-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Usually it's to give them more focus...may do him some good, although I always have concerns about blinkers because a horse that hangs won't see another horse coming until it's almost too late...of course, it also depends on the size of the blinker cup.

That makes sense.

I just wondered because I always think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

toussaud
04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
That makes sense.

I just wondered because I always think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
it's not broke, but it needs to be upgraded

joanied
04-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I think that Stay Thirsty is a rather lazy horse...so they'll try the blinker and see if they don't shake him up a bit...I hope he runs really good today, I have him as a winner on one of my picks list for today, and I've been on this colt since last year...I want to see him do really well today.

Spendabuck85
04-03-2011, 12:45 PM
From drf.com
Stay Thirsty will race with blinkers for the first time despite posting an easy three-length triumph last month in the Grade 3 Gotham. The victory gives him more than enough graded earnings to qualify for the Kentucky Derby.
“I view the Florida Derby as a very significant race on its own with a horse like Stay Thirsty, who has a stallion’s pedigree,” said trainer Todd Pletcher. “If he wins, it earns him a stallion barn in Kentucky. On the flip side, I’m also willing to experiment with a few things that I might not experiment with in the Kentucky Derby, a case in point being the addition of blinkers. I want to find out before the Kentucky Derby if he handles them. It’s something I might not try if he did not have enough graded earnings (http://www.drf.com/news/2011-kentucky-derby-contenders-ranked-graded-earnings)and it’s kind of a free roll for us in this race.”

http://www.drf.com/news/florida-derby-soldat-it-win-it

joanied
04-03-2011, 12:50 PM
From drf.com
Stay Thirsty will race with blinkers for the first time despite posting an easy three-length triumph last month in the Grade 3 Gotham. The victory gives him more than enough graded earnings to qualify for the Kentucky Derby.
“I view the Florida Derby as a very significant race on its own with a horse like Stay Thirsty, who has a stallion’s pedigree,” said trainer Todd Pletcher. “If he wins, it earns him a stallion barn in Kentucky. On the flip side, I’m also willing to experiment with a few things that I might not experiment with in the Kentucky Derby, a case in point being the addition of blinkers. I want to find out before the Kentucky Derby if he handles them. It’s something I might not try if he did not have enough graded earnings (http://www.drf.com/news/2011-kentucky-derby-contenders-ranked-graded-earnings)and it’s kind of a free roll for us in this race.”

http://www.drf.com/news/florida-derby-soldat-it-win-it

Trouble with that quote is that Pletcher doesn't give any explanation as to why...as in, why does he want to see if he handles them...certainly he isn't trying the blinkers just for the hell of it...has to be a reason, no?
(one reason I jumped on this colt last year is his pedigree:) )

Shelby
04-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I guess he wants Stay Thirsty to Stay Focused. :D

Pell Mell
04-03-2011, 12:54 PM
In another article he said they want him to stay closer to the pace.

joanied
04-03-2011, 01:41 PM
In another article he said they want him to stay closer to the pace.

Well, at least that's a reason why...maybe his jock suggested blinkers would help him...although, he didn't need any help in the Gotham...
but, without any real explanation, I would guess it's an experiment and nothing more...

Tom
04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
The blinkers will help him hide his face when he makes his "perp walk" off the track, after being busted for impersonating a contender! :lol:
(I just know I will regret saying this!)

joanied
04-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Guess so, Tom...

IF he goes in the Derby, it'll be blinkers off :D ...I am bummed, though, thought he'd runa much better race...I used him for one pick and Dialed In ontop in my other one...

Sekrah
04-03-2011, 08:19 PM
This horse is junk. Caves everytime he gets dirt kicked in his face. The blinkers were for the expectation of Flashpoint coming up on his outside with speed. When Uncle Mo did it to him the BC Juvenile, Stay Thirsty about crapped his pants and went into a panic.

Might make a career out of wiring G3's and listed stakes events that lack speed, but not even remotely close to a serious G1 horse.

A Poor Man's Quality Road. Needs the perfect startle-free trip to run his best.

joanied
04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I am indeed going to have to pull myself away from him...I have a connection to him through his pedigree, and really expected he'd be a better horse that he seems to be now :faint:

lamboguy
04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
shelby happens to pose a great question here. in my life the only time i have ever seen a horse coming off a win allowed to put blinkers on is if the horse blows a turn or lugs in or out. i did not see this in this particular horse.

but it is the great TODD PLETCHER and he is god in florida and he can do anything he wants to there because his $3000 dollar suits have no wrinkles in them.

beleive me on this one, if i had that horse i would not be allowed to put blinkers on him until he loses a race.

MNslappy
04-04-2011, 12:59 AM
because his $3000 dollar suits have no wrinkles in them.

:D

now dat's funny.

Shelby
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
shelby happens to pose a great question here. in my life the only time i have ever seen a horse coming off a win allowed to put blinkers on is if the horse blows a turn or lugs in or out. i did not see this in this particular horse.

but it is the great TODD PLETCHER and he is god in florida and he can do anything he wants to there because his $3000 dollar suits have no wrinkles in them.

beleive me on this one, if i had that horse i would not be allowed to put blinkers on him until he loses a race.

That's another thing I was wondering. I know you have to get permission from the stewards to make an equipment change like that, right? What would have been his argument? My horse won last out, but I think he needs blinkers so he can win better?

Yeah, Joanie, I bet the blinkers come back off next time.

I wonder what Mike Repole's take on this is. I guess he would do whatever Mr. Pletcher says he should do.... Just from the bit I've read about Mr. Repole, he's in to win.

Marlin
04-04-2011, 10:56 PM

beleive me on this one, if i had that horse i would not be allowed to put blinkers on him until he loses a race.I asked about this issue to an official last year when I noticed many horses with equipment changes after wins for the Breeder's Cup. He told me that isn't set in stone anymore. Basically if your going to run in our big race we will give special permission to you. So unless your horse is going in the big race you are probably right. He also said if you make it a safety issue, they most likely would allow the change. Probably not the same everywhere.

lamboguy
04-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I asked about this issue to an official last year when I noticed many horses with equipment changes after wins for the Breeder's Cup. He told me that isn't set in stone anymore. Basically if your going to run in our big race we will give special permission to you. So unless your horse is going in the big race you are probably right. He also said if you make it a safety issue, they most likely would allow the change. Probably not the same everywhere.racing is pure bullshit. my dopey trainer entered a horse out of condition, the race had 12 in it and 2 also eligibles. i called the stewards to ask if i could scratch to enter the next day for the race i belonged in a half hour after the draw. they told me i was part of the body of the race and would not let me scratch without a 10 day penalty. i wanted to put blinkers on a horse after a win and my horse was getting out on the turn, the stewards told me i can't, the getting out wasn't that bad. they let big guys do whatever they want, they go the extra mile, with me they can't wait to kick me in the teeth.

PaceAdvantage
04-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Such is life.

Marlin
04-05-2011, 12:18 AM
racing is pure bullshit. my dopey trainer entered a horse out of condition, the race had 12 in it and 2 also eligibles. i called the stewards to ask if i could scratch to enter the next day for the race i belonged in a half hour after the draw. they told me i was part of the body of the race and would not let me scratch without a 10 day penalty. i wanted to put blinkers on a horse after a win and my horse was getting out on the turn, the stewards told me i can't, the getting out wasn't that bad. they let big guys do whatever they want, they go the extra mile, with me they can't wait to kick me in the teeth.Lambo, I do not know you so please don't take offense to this. These issues seem to be issues a trainer would bring up. I know many officials, not that they are right, that would blow off an owner in a heartbeat regarding these issues. I've heard of owners scratching horses less than a handful of times always involving a dispute with the trainer. I've heard of owners entering horses even less. Isn't the trainer the one who puts blinker on or takes them off? Or when you use the word "I" do you mean your trainer?

lamboguy
04-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Lambo, I do not know you so please don't take offense to this. These issues seem to be issues a trainer would bring up. I know many officials, not that they are right, that would blow off an owner in a heartbeat regarding these issues. I've heard of owners scratching horses less than a handful of times always involving a dispute with the trainer. I've heard of owners entering horses even less. Isn't the trainer the one who puts blinker on or takes them off? Or when you use the word "I" do you mean your trainer?when i use the word "I", it means that i give my trainer instructions on what i want done. as far as putting blinkers on a horse after a win i know ahead of time that i will not be allowed to make that equipment change unless its blatent, all that i am saying is that STAY THIRSTY was not blatent in my opinion and probably everyone elses yet he is allowed to put blinikers on after a win. the game has different standards for different people. because todd pletcher thinks he needs blinkers he is allowed to put them on under any circumstance. because my trainers are not $150 dayrate guys and don't have the same high batting averages as supertrainers, the game feels that the public must be protected from them with their rules. meaning no bending of rules for them, but for the high percentage guy its no problem. i know this going in, if i chose to pay high day rates i know i don't run into these circumstances.

turninforhome10
04-05-2011, 08:30 AM
When Stay Thirsty was prepping for the FLA Derby, Pletcher had indicated that ST did not like the kickback from working behind horses. Also, ST had not face the kind of speed in SOLDAT and Shackleford coming from NY. I feel with this one must come to the conclusion that although is a very good animal with natural talent, his drive to a great racehorse is lacking and Pletcher is playing Horse Psych 101 to try and get most from his athelete. If Pletcher can het this guys head on right, I still think this could be a Belmont stakes type horse(speed to go long).
As far as putting the blinkers on, in my experience as a trainer, the animal would have to stand in the gate with the blinks on to show that they are accustomed to change and ok with it. Putting blinkers on does not gaurantee that a horse wont go ape shit and loose their mind. It is a slow process if done right. I would put blinkers on an animal for the follwing reasons 1) small cup- focus and speed 2) Full cup- keep focused on what is in front and build up courage 3) Scoop blinker outside if the horse is trying to get out.
All jurisdictions have different regulations on how to get blinkers on but the trump card is always-repeat after me boys and girls 1,2,3, "AT THE STEWARDS DISCRETION". One time I watched a filly win a stakes by five. Here was the problem. At my home track all horse must wear the equipment assigned to them when leaving the paddock and wear said equipment through post parade to the gate. The winner who was very high strung was allowed to be excused from the post parade and not wear blinkers during warm up only to have blinkers added at the gate. This is a foul play, but my friend who ran second in the race protested like a madman only to have the stewards play the trump card :AT THE STEWARDS DISCRETION"

lamboguy
04-05-2011, 09:40 AM
you just said this better than i could have

Shelby
04-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd like to get in my "go back" machine and watch the same race with Stay Thirsty sans blinkers.

Rapid Grey
04-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Thought the rail was a little deeper on Florida Derby day than the rest of the track, at least in the routes. May help explain Soldat and Stay Thirsty's clunkers.

redshift1
04-05-2011, 01:34 PM
After watching the race several times its still a mystery why so many finished 8 lengths behind S and DI. Hard to imagine they all regressed on the same day.

lamboguy
04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
lately the 3 yo racing game have been taken over by trainers that hand the ball off to veteranarians that have a bag full of chemical tricks. its not training its chemestry. the horse that winds up going the best and getting a lucky trip wins the bullshit kentucky derby. when these fine owners breed and buy these horses they try for horses that will be able to handle the drugs they stick in them. this is not the game everywhere else in the world where horseracing is doing great. its the game right here and right now in the united states of america. the game is rotten to the core right now. its not real. a beautiful track like monmouth lost $7 million last year racing horses. laurel park lost another $7 million. there is nothing special about the horses or the game itself today.

turninforhome10
04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I agree with you for the most part on the 3yo scene. How many times are we as fans to gat attached to a horse only to have them whisked away to the shed the first time they win a Grade one. We need a fan base and a real advertising arm that can produce something better than the GO BABY GO. The NTRA is complete crap when it comes to marketing. I think the racing situation is very similar to our educational system in America. While the rest of the world is surpassing us on every concievable level, we are pumping up test scores to get more federal money to prop up districts that are failing. "No Horse left behind"

Spalding No!
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM

Stay Thirsty lugged in noticeably in the Gotham. He also changed leads at least 3 times through the stretch. I think that was the reason for the equipment change.

Of course none of those things necessarily are corrected by simply adding blinkers.

Chris G
04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-contenders-uncle-mo-stay-thirsty-and-soldat-work-florida

Stay Thirsty, who like Uncle Mo is owned by Mike Repole, did not handle adversity quite as well as his more highly regarded stablemate earlier Sunday. Breaking off two lengths in front of his older, stakes-caliber partner Colizeo, Stay Thirsty had to be put to pressure to keep up with his workmate nearing the wire, ultimately finishing about a half-length behind after completing five furlongs in 1:02.01. The work had Pletcher thinking about putting blinkers on the Gotham winner for the Florida Derby.

“He looked to be a little intimidated down inside the other horse, so I might throw some blinkers on him when he gallops this week and see how he goes,” Pletcher said. “Coming off a win, if we do decide to put blinkers on him for the Florida Derby we’ll have to get permission from the stewards, but I don’t think that should be any problem.”

joanied
04-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for posting that, Chris G... I don't think any of us saw that article/quote before the Fl Derby...I know I didn't...explains the 'why' of the blinkers.
What still is a mystery to me is why ST ran so bad, well, he didn't really run at all...I swear, this Fl. Derby was the strangest I've ever seen...the only thng not strange is that Dialed In won it...well, OK, it was strange he was life & death to pass Shackelford...
the FL. Derby was a very 'strange brew' (started singing that in my head while I was typing:D )