PDA

View Full Version : Closers Getting the Win

Ocala Mike
04-02-2011, 11:21 PM
One thing has always bothered me about W's and L's for a pitcher in baseball. If a closer like the Mets K-Rod tonight comes in to protect a one-run lead and fails to do so, why is he deemed the winning pitcher if his team ultimately wins the game?

He gave up the tying run in the 9th to blow a save, then the Mets scored 3 in the 10th, and another pitcher got the final 3 outs. Why isn't that pitcher given the W?

Ocala Mike

kingfin66
04-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Rodriguez was the pitcher of record when the go ahead runs were scored in the 10th. Boyer gets the final three outs and the save. No doubt Rodriquez would rather have done his job and got the save instead of the win, but that's baseball. It really sucks for the starting pitcher.

Ocala Mike
04-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Which is why W-L, especially as regards relievers, is totally meaningless, I guess. I believe K-Rod is right up there in getting these "vulture wins."

Ocala Mike

kingfin66
04-03-2011, 12:41 PM
It's kind of along the lines of a relief pitcher getting a "hold" when his line is:

1 1/3 IP
2 H
1 RUN
1 ER
2 BB
0 K

and where one of the hits resulted in an inherited run scoring. Piss poor performance that results in a positive stat. It happens all the time.