PDA

View Full Version : BC - weather a factor?

DJofSD
10-21-2003, 08:49 PM
If you haven't heard, SoCal is experiencing what passes for Indian Summer here. Heat spells in early autumn.

We will likely have Santa Ana conditions starting this weekend. Typically this will mean warm and dry weather. (With it being hotter along the ocean than inland).

If so, SA will likely be much warmer than what some of the horses are used to. Especially the European horses.

I think this will become a significant factor. I will discount any horse that has not had a significant amount of time to adjust. And those that are shipping from Ireland and points further east will likely not rank very high in my estimation.

Comments?

DJofSD

Valuist
10-22-2003, 09:34 AM
Supposedly Islington doesn't like the heat. The DRF had a report yesterday saying that a few of the Euro contenders were washed out a bit yesterday morning; and it was only around 70 degrees at that time. Falbrav is another who was washed out yesterday. Oasis Dream had no problem.

azibuck
10-22-2003, 01:24 PM
If it's really windy, which way is the wind likely to blow? Will it be blowing into their faces on the backstretch or the front? Across?

DJofSD
10-22-2003, 11:32 PM
I doubt it will be windy.

If it is windy then it will be blowing generally from east to west. So they'd be running with the wind down the backstretch and into it when coming to the finish line.

DJofSD

Tuffmug
10-24-2003, 03:52 AM
Bet fresh horses in the heat.

cj
10-24-2003, 11:27 AM
I heard on TVG this morning the temperature Saturday will approach 100...that is hot even for the American horses.

kenwoodallpromos
10-24-2003, 05:44 PM
In an earlier thread awhile back I predicted unusual track conditions!!!