PDA

View Full Version : How does BETFAIR(tvg) get faster video feeds

edmond1
03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
I have noticed that some of the now standard Dish Network feeds are only 1 second faster (normally 3 seconds with C-Band) than some of the TVG feeds. How is this possible ? It's as though their source feed is still the now obsolete C-Band feed.
Even as delayed as the Dish Network feeds are now Betfair and other exchanges seem to have no problem in managing their markets (ie they are seeing things on the other side of the world faster than we are). How is this possible ?

cj's dad
03-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Satellite configuration ??

Native Texan III
03-30-2011, 07:05 PM
It seems to be delays at the broadcast end - the satellite phase being much the same for all. If the company uses slow software to encode (encrypt)and the same at the decode end, then that may be the issue. Betfair in UK have in-running horse races and some channels are still showing races after they have finished in real time but people with fast feeds and on course are betting on the known result. At one time they were showing soccer in Spain which was 18 seconds behind real time. Presumably Betfair have used better technology from that experience.

lamboguy
03-30-2011, 09:06 PM
i have noticed that twinspires television when working properly is about 8 seconds faster than tvg on cable.

satrabyk
03-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I spoke to a high level person (Peter ?) at Robert's Communications in early January with regards to the slower Dish Network feeds that are now the standard. He said that by February all these feeds will be optimized so that the delay will be at best 5 seconds from real time instead of 2-3 second delay experienced with the old C-Band feed. It's now April and several tracks are still delayed close to 9 seconds. This change has to be costing the racetrack industry millions and know heavy bettors that no longer bet simulcast tracks any longer because of this change.

When I asked him about the status of the C-Band technology. This is what he said :
"BETFAIR REQUIRES A FASTER FEED TO MANAGE THEIR BETTING EXCHANGE" !! I am pretty sure he said that they are still using what everyone said is the so called obsolete C-Band feed. When I questioned whether Betfair was legal in the U.S. he said that N.J. legalized exchange wagering - weeks before they actually did. So that means tracks providing feeds to TVG are automatically providing them to Betfair as well according to him. IS THIS LEGAL ???

Does anyone monitor Roberts Communications(a monopoly) actions ? Now I find out that they are affiliated with RTN (the co. supplying feeds to Dish Network). How convenient !!!! I can tell you for a fact that their word is worthless. In 2007 I called them inquiring about feeds and spoke to the same guy then. He suggested that I get RTN since they were going to provide their customers with a C-Band speed within a few months. It's almost 4 years later - delay is still 5-9 seconds not the 2-3 that it should be. Now this has become the standard - WHAT A JOKE !!!!! Tracks think they are saving money - think again .....

gm10
03-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Betfair may be fast but they still (unintentionally) keep their US markets open up to 10 seconds after certain races have already started. I don't know how this happens, all I know is that I know of at least one video stream on the web that is around 5 seconds ahead of them.

BIG49010
03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
A couple things that you are off on, RTN and Dish are KU Band Sats.

I have heard, but have not seen with my own eyes, but Dish is much better now picture wise than the old RTN, and I can't tell you how the delay is.

TVG.com is somehow hooked to RTN-Dish, when a track goes off the air, sometimes it says contact Dish to reset the channel.

The best TV I have seen is HPI - TV on Bell Express vu, but you can only get it in the Northern States and Canada. The tracks are limited, and similar to TVG or HRTV you can wait 5 minutes for Woodbine to run, and the Derby could be running live while they bs about locals.