PDA

View Full Version : For Horse Caregivers

Hammerhead
03-29-2011, 08:39 PM
For the last 5 years I have taken care of 3 rescue horses. One is a 6yr old Quaterhorse that is well over a 1000 lbs and has a lot of spunk. He was dropped off for boarding by a flyby night man and wife 2 years ago who have not been seen or heard from since. This young fellow is very friendly and can be more put as a big puppy. For the last 5 years I have kept a small parring knife slid into the back of a hitching post to cut the ties on the hay bales. Oppisite side of the correl. Today after giving the guys there carrots. Sebastion slid his big head and long neck around the hitching post and snatched the serrated knife. He then ran around the corral chewing on it. He had the handle in his mouth and then sideways and finally blade in. Natrually I was in pure panic. It honestly looked like a toothpick. WHY had he taken it?? Some idiot used it to cut apples a few days prior when visiting and had put it back with out saying a word. All you horse owners watch your visitors. I got him to drop it with a handful of hay. I guess the blade was to tough and the hay a better bite.
All animals have dam good sniffers. Know even the owners know why I do not like anyone feeding the animals.

Grits
03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
My goodness. Smart and cagey fella. Glad you were able to get him to drop his newly found serrated, apple scented "mouthpiece." He's lucky to have YOU.;)