PDA

View Full Version : RCI: Phase Out Use Of Drugs In Five Years

Grits
03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
In an announcement that figures to meet with disagreement with some horsemen’s groups and perhaps others, the outgoing and incoming leaders of the Association of Racing Commissioners International have called for a five-year phase-out of equine medication in horse racing.

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62162/rci-phase-out-use-of-drugs-in-five-years#ixzz1HvweEE4A

DJofSD
03-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Excellent! Thanks for posting this link.

They could phase it in by not allowing drugs to be used for any horse entered to race starting with foals of 2012.

Gallop58
03-28-2011, 06:31 PM
This will be an interesting cat fight. It will quite interesting to see the log jam of reasons that are brought out again to maintain the status quo.

I'm interested in the official response from the AAEP, HBPA's, racing associations and track owners. In a twitter and more connected world, the old logic of why drugs should be allowed just doesn't pass muster. The only problem is that it's so hard to change the status quo currently.

We can start the clock ticking now to see, who brings in the first substantial changes.

pandy
03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Lasix should be the first to go. Harness and thoroughbred racing thrived in this country without lasix, it is not necessary. The US and Canada are the only countries that allow lasix and racing is doing better in other parts of the world, without lasix.

DJofSD
03-28-2011, 06:39 PM
I believe New York was one of the last states that allowed use of Lasix. Perhaps they could be the first to return to a no Lasix policy.

Stillriledup
03-28-2011, 06:45 PM
I think if you get the big 3 (NYRA, Frank and CDI) to all agree that all of their tracks are medication free, the other tracks will fall into line and go with it.

Delawaretrainer
03-28-2011, 06:51 PM
I like the thought behind this. Most horses probably don't need lasix but it is thought to improve performance (carrying less weight? less pressure in circulatory system?) so your horse is at a disadvantage if you don't use it. However, it would be heartbreaking if you had a really good horse that ended up being a legitimate bleeder.

I wonder how they will handle the therapeutic medications. I would be really disappointed if I couldn't use ulcer medication on my horses. Ours get out to graze when the weather is good but there is only so much you can do on the backside of the track, some just get them. Right now we have to withdraw them 24-48 hours before a race.

johnhannibalsmith
03-28-2011, 06:51 PM
I think if you get the big 3 (NYRA, Frank and CDI) to all agree that all of their tracks are medication free, the other tracks will fall into line and go with it.

Why? The others would likely have the fullest fields and bigger dollars as a result if they abstained.

castaway01
03-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds wonderful in the simplistic form but will never, ever happen.

Wingtips
03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Does the RCI have any teeth?

Massive change and North American thoroughbred racing do not mix.

Drugs and slots make the best bedfellows!

sonnyp
03-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Sounds wonderful in the simplistic form but will never, ever happen.

they can't catch the illegal stuff being used now. why would anyone believe they could do any better after they "declare" racing to be drug free.

it will be like "declaring" the streets to be drug free in a crack neighborhood. nobody changes......but the regulators can tell you they're doing a great job.

pandy
03-28-2011, 07:56 PM
The Olympics doesn't allow lasix because years ago some Belgium weight lifters who tested positive for steroids admitted that using lasix makes it easier to hide other drugs.

Stillriledup
03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
they can't catch the illegal stuff being used now. why would anyone believe they could do any better after they "declare" racing to be drug free.

it will be like "declaring" the streets to be drug free in a crack neighborhood. nobody changes......but the regulators can tell you they're doing a great job.

The only real way to get racing to be drug free is to make drugging racehorses illegal and a federal crime (race fixing) and put these trainers in jail. This is really the only way to stop it. If you just impose a 2,500 dollar fine, thats not going to get things done.

sonnyp
03-28-2011, 08:46 PM
The Olympics doesn't allow lasix because years ago some Belgium weight lifters who tested positive for steroids admitted that using lasix makes it easier to hide other drugs.

lasix was used to "mask" illegal drugs at one time, but the drugs being used today don't need it. it's become so sophisticated, the lasix issue is no longer a factor.

to still rilled up

as far as it being a federal crime, they can't find the $$$$ now to cover their butts in washington. now, you want to throw this kind of stuff over to them. don't you think the feds are involved in way too much already ?

do you like how they're spending your $$$$ chasing barry bonds and roger clemens when they can't agree on a budget ? they're a joke

Stillriledup
03-28-2011, 08:57 PM
lasix was used to "mask" illegal drugs at one time, but the drugs being used today don't need it. it's become so sophisticated, the lasix issue is no longer a factor.

to still rilled up

as far as it being a federal crime, they can't find the $$$$ now to cover their butts in washington. now, you want to throw this kind of stuff over to them. don't you think the feds are involved in way too much already ?

do you like how they're spending your $$$$ chasing barry bonds and roger clemens when they can't agree on a budget ? they're a joke

All good points.

andymays
03-28-2011, 08:58 PM
So what do we do with the horses that bleed during a race? How would a Horseplayer feel about betting on a horse that had to be pulled up because he bled? Just sayin.

Tom
03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
5 years.
What's the rush? :rolleyes:

Horseplayersbet.com
03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
5 years.
What's the rush? :rolleyes:
It is going to take 5 years to make cases for exceptions (I doubt they will get rid of all drugs). It is going to take a lot longer to breed out horses who need drugs to run at acceptable levels.

FenceBored
03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
It is going to take 5 years to make cases for exceptions (I doubt they will get rid of all drugs). It is going to take a lot longer to breed out horses who need drugs to run at acceptable levels.

Not to mention that it will take years to get various state agencies to debate and approve (if they ever do) such a measure.

macguy
03-29-2011, 10:53 AM
So what do we do with the horses that bleed during a race?

I suppose it would just be like the time before Lasix. If the horse was a bad enough bleeder, then he didn't make it as a racehorse.

DJofSD
03-29-2011, 11:06 AM
I suppose it would just be like the time before Lasix. If the horse was a bad enough bleeder, then he didn't make it as a racehorse.

So, it could be reasonably asserted that in the last 15, 20 years, racing has enjoyed a bubble. The bubble being the additional runners that without Lasix might not have ever made it to the track, let alone used to fill races.

sonnyp
03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
So, it could be reasonably asserted that in the last 15, 20 years, racing has enjoyed a bubble. The bubble being the additional runners that without Lasix might not have ever made it to the track, let alone used to fill races.

the high % of horses that show up in the states from other international venues (england, france etc.) come here because they bleed and can't race competitively there.

lamboguy
03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
in the past 30 years we have been treated to second rate racing because of race prep drugs. it has managed to lose the small owners, it made superstars out of trainers that can't spell their name right.

sonnyp
03-29-2011, 12:35 PM
in the past 30 years we have been treated to second rate racing because of race prep drugs. it has managed to lose the small owners, it made superstars out of trainers that can't spell their name right.

this approach and mentality (beating the system and getting the unfair edge) is what has changed this country during this time frame. start with washington, go to the corporations, labor unions all the way down to ballparks and racetracks.

no longer is integrity part of the equation on any level.

Tom
03-29-2011, 12:43 PM
0 drugs on race day. Period.

sonnyp
03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
0 drugs on race day. Period.

sounds great. unfortunately, it's just like taking away guns. when you do that, the only people with them will be the criminals.

Robert Fischer
03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
a lot of horseplayers are using performance enchancers

DJofSD
03-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't think that purple pill helps with the races.

sonnyp
03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
a lot of horseplayers are using performance enchancers

they must not be working. they're ALWAYS crying.

i've been around people that bet my whole life. theirs (including me) is always a sad story. never is it happy.

when you lose....you lose.
when you win.....you shoulda won more !

Robert Fischer
03-29-2011, 04:30 PM
theres a drug for that too lol...

if i'm lucky enough to make a profit i try to force myself to celebrate a little.

they must not be working. they're ALWAYS crying.

i've been around people that bet my whole life. theirs (including me) is always a sad story. never is it happy.

when you lose....you lose.
when you win.....you shoulda won more !