PDA

View Full Version : Bookie Bonanza

Pell Mell
03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Seems like the bookies are happy that OTB closed. :lol:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bettor_biz_for_bookies_LMqmkrbhZGRWvm5UHaD9IP

horses4courses
03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
The attitude towards gambling in this country never ceases to amaze me.
It's similar to having a contagious disease. People won't touch it.
Ask a politician about his/her stance on the matter, and you're likely to hear
" Oh, yes....gambling. Next question, please."

Prohibition of alcohol took place between 1920 and 1933.
During that period, mobsters flourished with illegal sales of booze.
The prohibition of gambling has loosened it's grip, somewhat, over the years.
However, illegal bookmaking in the US has continued to prosper.

Political suicide to try to curb illegal bookmaking.
Best way to proceed? Pretend that the problem does not exist.
The day will, likely, never arrive when gambling is treated as an acceptable form of adult recreation that is, also, a revenue source for areas that participate.

But I digress........
Anyone know what a small warehouse in Queens might cost me?

nijinski
03-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Bookies were a part of my childhood . Funny memories. , I could right a book . My Dad used to have to take me out on Saturday's and we'd have to make a few stops . First the VA , cause he placed bets for a disabled Vet he knew then the accountant Ha ha .Then i realized as I got older Bookeeper and Bookmaker were not the same thing and a loanshark didn't live in the ocean. . Guys with names like Red , Champ , Bruno etc were the bookies. My Dad's father had abandoned him and he had to support himself by age twelve , so I have no ill feelings regarding the exposure as a little girl to a very tough bunch of charactors and a few scary moments. That's the life he grew up with.
Knowing what I know though , it could be a huge problem for a compulsive gambler .