PDA

View Full Version : The Wicked North...R.I.P

joanied
03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
:( Passed away at Old Friends. I was a big fan of this horse, and no doubt the folks at Old Friends will miss him very much.
(On a brighter note, Afternoon Deelites is now at Old Friends)

The Wicked North
R.I.P

andymays
03-27-2011, 11:53 AM
He had some ability.

Kent Desormeaux cost him the big cap (I'm pretty sure it was the Big Cap) in a bad DQ. I'm still pissed at Desormeaux over that.

DJofSD
03-27-2011, 12:09 PM
He had some ability.

Kent Desormeaux cost him the big cap (I'm pretty sure it was the Big Cap) in a bad DQ. I'm still pissed at Desormeaux over that.
Was that the race that Bobby Frankel through his binoculars on the ground?

joanied
03-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Took some searching, but finally found a video of The Wicked North's SA Handicap...as far as I'm concerned, it was a f'n crime that they took him down...Kent was part of it, but Whittingham's horse on the inside also played a part, IMO...

you be the judge:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/1994-santa-ana-handicap-possibly-perfect/e270b30f1e99756539fee270b30f1e99756539fe-406989111749?q=1994+santa+anita+handicap+video&FORM=VIRE1

The history of the race won't show him as the winner, but it's damned obvious The Wicked North was much the best.
I hope when Kent visited the horse at Old Friends, he apologized for what happened.

DJofSD
03-27-2011, 01:46 PM
I don't get anything using that link except a notice it is no longer available.

KirisClown
03-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Took some searching, but finally found a video of The Wicked North's SA Handicap...as far as I'm concerned, it was a f'n crime that they took him down...Kent was part of it, but Whittingham's horse on the inside also played a part, IMO...

you be the judge:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/1994-santa-ana-handicap-possibly-perfect/e270b30f1e99756539fee270b30f1e99756539fe-406989111749?q=1994+santa+anita+handicap+video&FORM=VIRE1

The history of the race won't show him as the winner, but it's damned obvious The Wicked North was much the best.
I hope when Kent visited the horse at Old Friends, he apologized for what happened.

The Bing.com video linked to my old channel, so it won't work...

I re-uploaded the race the other day.. here it is..

K-0Qwca_-XU

joanied
03-27-2011, 03:13 PM
That'll teach me to check my links:blush: ...it played for me when I found it, so I don't quite understand why it wouldn't play using the link...oh,well...

kiri's clown :ThmbUp: to the rescue...thanks...glad you happened to see the thread!!

In fact, it took me several searches before I found that video on Bing...every other place said it was no longer available...and I knew it was all that BS about your old channel:mad: ...still makes me mad!!

Anyway...hope andymays sees this posted.

Thanks again, KC:)

andymays
03-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Do you see Desormeaux with that looking under his arm crap. Just win the friggin race damnit.

Bruiser1
03-27-2011, 03:47 PM

you be the judge:

If The Wicked North accepted Kent's apology, that would really be something!

KirisClown
03-27-2011, 04:05 PM
A few more from his Eclipse winning year...

TZP6ndUVnHk

jKgEmXuNLXE

nHjbgdrjflQ

andymays
03-27-2011, 04:08 PM

I needed him for a nice score that day and after watching the video I remember cussing Desormeaux out from the turn all the way home. I hate it when they look under their arms at that point in a race and keep doing it.

DJofSD
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
1994: Go for Gin and Tinners Way (also retired to Old Friends).

The Wicked North's sire was The Far North. The Far North was a great sire of turf runners and when any of his get showed up for a grass race, it was almost an automatic bet for me.

joanied
03-27-2011, 04:38 PM

I have it on good authority that he accidently on purpose stepped on Kent's foot:lol: ...well, he should have;)

joanied
03-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Do you see Desormeaux with that looking under his arm crap. Just win the friggin race damnit.

I hate that too...drives me crazy...there are circumstances when it's almost necessary to check what's coming...but more often as not, what the hell difference does it make to look behind you...whatever is coming will keep coming, so, IMO, better not to take that peek and maybe loose a bit of momentum in doing so...

andy, in the case of the '94 SA Derby...me thinks Kent checked because he was wanting to play a little dirty and not be obvious about it...which didn't work out too well for him, The Wicked North and the connections...:mad:

andymays
03-27-2011, 04:56 PM
I hate that too...drives me crazy...there are circumstances when it's almost necessary to check what's coming...but more often as not, what the hell difference does it make to look behind you...whatever is coming will keep coming, so, IMO, better not to take that peek and maybe loose a bit of momentum in doing so...

andy, in the case of the '94 SA Derby...me thinks Kent checked because he was wanting to play a little dirty and not be obvious about it...which didn't work out too well for him, The Wicked North and the connections...:mad:

Back then he used to ride real cocky. Winning wasn't enough he had to show off. When you look around as often as he did at some point the horse feels the weight shift and he shifts. After I watched the video I had to have a couple of beers to calm down. I wanted to choke Desormeaux after the race. I've been DQ's in 3 or 4 big races with him since the Wicked North DQ.

FenceBored
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Back then he used to ride real cocky. Winning wasn't enough he had to show off. When you look around as often as he did at some point the horse feels the weight shift and he shifts. After I watched the video I had to have a couple of beers to calm down. I wanted to choke Desormeaux after the race. I've been DQ's in 3 or 4 big races with him since the Wicked North DQ.

Sounds like you're holding more of a grudge than the horse did. :D

andymays
03-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Sounds like you're holding more of a grudge than the horse did. :D

I couldn't stand Desormeaux for years and years. I kind of let it go though. Watching that race brought it all back. That dirty rottten _ _ _! ;)

nijinski
03-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I couldn't stand Desormeaux for years and years. I kind of let it go though. Watching that race brought it all back. That dirty rottten _ _ _! ;)

Kent visited Wicked North at Old friends , As much as he makes you crazy
he also has another side that
I have to add though.The story from OF is that he hopped on Wicked North and rode him bareback with beer in hand. He then gave him a nice bath !
A sweet Moment!

RIP Wicked North !

andymays
03-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Kent visited Wicked North at Old friends , As much as he makes you crazy
he also has another side that
I have to add though.The story from OF is that he hopped on Wicked North and rode him bareback with beer in hand. He then gave him a nice bath !
A sweet Moment!

RIP Wicked North !

If that's true then all is forgiven.

DJofSD
03-27-2011, 07:34 PM
If that's true, I wonder what happens when he visits old girlfriends.

nijinski
03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=andymays]If that's true then all is forgiven.[/QUOTE
Your showing alot of class saying that , good for you!

It's true because about a year ago I found part of the story and it was written by Blowen , another contact who works there who confirmed it . I remember he wrote got him a special beer and left him to spend time with Wicked North. I truly believe he is passionate about the
ones he's ridden and showing up makes all the difference.

nijinski
03-27-2011, 07:44 PM
:lol: If that's true, I wonder what happens when he visits old girlfriends.
:lol:

joanied
03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
If that's true then all is forgiven.

It's true, andy...took me a while to find the photos again, but take a look...fact is, Kent has pissed me off many times, and Kent has made some huge race blunders, and Kent was a snottyass kid back in the day, but I beleive Kent has a big heart and he truly loves the special horses he's rode and rides...he's made a number of trips to Old Friends, he even rode their pony, Silver Charm...which was pretty funny...
here ya go...enjoy:)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=271293721722#!/group.php?gid=271293721722&v=photos&closeTheater=1

Bettowin
03-29-2011, 05:52 PM
This link has some pics I took of him last fall during the BC. He looked real good for his age. There are others you will recognize, Awad, Commentator, Marquetry etc....

The story is true. Blowen told us about it himself.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tband81/OldFriendsAndKeenelandBCWeek2010#

Cardus
03-29-2011, 06:04 PM
I wish that some of "RIP" threads could mention horses who were not so good on the track.

They're equally valuable as animals.

nijinski
03-29-2011, 06:14 PM
I wish that some of "RIP" threads could mention horses who were not so good on the track.

I totally understand your feelings..I think though there would have to be a thread just for the losses of these fine animals and that would be a very
big thread.

joanied
03-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Bettowin...thanks for posting your photos...they are wonderful...even the cat with his dinner :) ...wish you had one of Kiri's Clown...I have been aprtial to him since day one...he looks just like his daddy!! Cigar has got some neck on him...is he fat? I hope not, don't want him to come down with laminitus...
it's so wonderful to se all these old warriors being horses and getting the TLC they deserve:ThmbUp:

If we could have a thread for all the R.I.P horses, that'd be a cool thing to do here...every race horse deserves a R.I.P...because they are all champions to those of us that love them...as someone said...it'd be a long thread, but one that we could keep and add to as time goes by...my heart breaks for those that never get their dues, even in death.

rwwupl
03-29-2011, 10:53 PM

I was also a victim of the worst call ever (IMO) in the D.Q. of the Wicked North. I went into a rant ( I lost it)and was certain there was more to the decision than anyone would want to know.

The decision was strange and the chief steward (Pete Pedersen)wrote me a hand written letter explaining... and then later said he thought about it a lot and wondered himself if he blew it.

Pedersen was a great steward and when I calmed down I knew he just blew it and there was nothing sinister involved in his decision. He will tell you today that decision will forever mark his time as a steward.

David Bernstein(trainer),and the owner of the Wicked North, the stewards and many fans will remember that day.

DJofSD
03-29-2011, 11:15 PM

To that end, there are two horses that I have fond memories of watching at Del Mar years ago.

The first is a race mare whose name I can not immediately remember. She was a grey and had only one eye. But she ran and had her share of wins. She was a grass runner. Didn't always place a bet on her but always watched her run. I seem to remember Corey Black rode her. This was probably about the same time that CW's Flawlessly with CJ in the irons was competing.

The other was Bang Bang Bang, sire Ack Ack. He was a sawed off little colt that had come up from Calente. He was a late running sprinter and would close like the Dickens. Last I had heard, he had gone to the circuit in Arizona.

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
It's no different when it comes to people. How many times do you read RIP threads in off-topic about ordinary folks? It's mostly movie stars, athletes and politicians.

joanied
03-30-2011, 01:11 PM
It's no different when it comes to people. How many times do you read RIP threads in off-topic about ordinary folks? It's mostly movie stars, athletes and politicians.

I seriously doubt that any R.I.P thread and or post that is about a famous horse or person is meant to slight the 'ordinary' horse or person...it's just that the famous ones are the ones that make the headlines...I'm sure if someone here posted a R.I.P for their backyard horse, or a claimer running on a bush track, or a family member or friend, we'd all add our sympathies just the same as we do for the 'famous' folks and horses...in fact, I beleive we have done that here...I remember posting about the passing of one of my horses here and I got a lot of very nice replies...

surfdog89
03-30-2011, 01:25 PM
R.I.P. WICKED NORTH

You were much the best in 94 Santa Anita H.