PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Stretch Parade?

On Spec
03-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Am I the only one who thought the stretch run was not contended?

Admittedly, I didn't bet this, didn't watch it that carefully, and I know the value this race must have in stud fees and syndication deals and such, but . . .

To produce a Japanese winner at this time in the world's events that holds off five or six world class horses at a length or so for so long?

I'm just tossing it out there. Feel free to toss it back.

(and, Yes, my friends have problems with my contrariness from time to time.)

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2011, 02:51 AM
The horse had every right to win that race based on the numbers I was looking at, and was a serious, SERIOUS overlay at 17-1. This horse had previously beaten the Japanese mare (Buena Vista) who was in the race, and she went off at 6-1 or 7-1.

In what way do you think the stretch run was not contentious? It looked pretty tooth and nail to me...do you honestly believe anybody is going to hold back with a $10,000,000 purse on the line? You actually think a jockey is going to forgo a $600,000 payday for some sort of conspiracy theory?

Rackon
03-28-2011, 04:54 AM
"Am I the only one who thought the stretch run was not contended?"

You are. What've you been smoking? :eek:

Looked like a contentious finish to me...and the winner is a an extremely nice horse. I'm sure there was plenty sympathy for the Japanese contenders. I'm equally sure it did not affect the outcome of the race - the rest of the field was in it to win it.

You're letting your imagination get the better of your common sense if you think anything else.

nijinski
03-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Too much invested for anyone to even consider allowing that
to happen.

OTM Al
03-28-2011, 09:11 AM
That horse is a serious 4 yo. He is primed to have a really good year. If I'd been forced to single that race he was an easy pick.

On Spec
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks all. Just a question.

Real fans saw tooth and nail, and I respect that. That's really what I saw, too. But if you look at their final approach to the wire and see all those other horses just a pace behind the leader, not moving relative to each other, it sparked a question for me.

I was just wondering if connections that had more money than God might be able to do something in this race (I live near Hollywood and have watched more movies than might be good for me).

How much money WOULD it take?

OTM Al
03-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks all. Just a question.

Real fans saw tooth and nail, and I respect that. That's really what I saw, too. But if you look at their final approach to the wire and see all those other horses just a pace behind the leader, not moving relative to each other, it sparked a question for me.

I was just wondering if connections that had more money than God might be able to do something in this race (I live near Hollywood and have watched more movies than might be good for me).

How much money WOULD it take?

It's impossible at this level even if you tried. These are top class animals that have been trained to win. A horse isn't the brightest of animals and is going to do what he knows and money probably doesn't even taste all that good to him, which would be the only factor that could affect him. They would have went by if they could.

Cardus
03-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Admittedly, I didn't bet this, didn't watch it that carefully, and I know the value this race must have in stud fees and syndication deals and such, but . . .

To produce a Japanese winner at this time in the world's events that holds off five or six world class horses at a length or so for so long?

This is Stillriledup-esque.

Spalding No!
03-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Wasn't the second place horse from Japan as well?

However, I'll admit it was weird to see Gio Ponti loom into contention only to fail to sustain his run in deep stretch.

OTM Al
03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Wasn't the second place horse from Japan as well?

However, I'll admit it was weird to see Gio Ponti loom into contention only to fail to sustain his run in deep stretch.

Why? They were crawling early. The smart move was made by the winning jock as he knew there was no way he could close into that pace.

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Why? They were crawling early. The smart move was made by the winning jock as he knew there was no way he could close into that pace.I think Spalding's sarcasm was momentarily lost on you... :lol:

Edward DeVere
03-28-2011, 09:49 PM
But if you look at their final approach to the wire and see all those other horses just a pace behind the leader, not moving relative to each other, it sparked a question for me.

As the Racing Post pointed out, the pace was abysmally slow, which resulted in the top four horses at the top of the stretch finishing that same way.

Happens all the time. One of the times it frequently happens is when the pace in the immediately preceding race was wicked fast and all the frontrunners collapsed. Then each and every jockey has a tendency to say "Damn! I can't let that happen to me THIS race!"

FenceBored
03-29-2011, 08:24 AM
As the Racing Post pointed out, the pace was abysmally slow, which resulted in the top four horses at the top of the stretch finishing that same way.

Happens all the time. One of the times it frequently happens is when the pace in the immediately preceding race was wicked fast and all the frontrunners collapsed. Then each and every jockey has a tendency to say "Damn! I can't let that happen to me THIS race!"

After just two seasons it is too early to say whether it is the new Tapeta surface that has given the Dubai World Cup a touch of the Lingfields or whether it's just dumb luck that the last two renewals have resulted in a blanket finish.It may be that these substandard results were down solely to the slow pace, but such occurrences are rare in championship races on either turf or dirt and now it has happened twice. -- http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/rocket-man-victoire-pisa-world-cup-form-falls-short-of-worlds-best-march-28/834698/worldclass/

A "touch of the Lingfields." :D

eastie
03-29-2011, 09:35 AM
after that huge middle move the winner made, i was shocked to see him win. Either he's that good, or.....

depalma113
03-29-2011, 11:21 AM

The horse was my top pick in the race.

Using the Beyer Average Theory with the Ratings Post conversion, top two horses were:

Twice Over was 114.5
Victoire Pisa was 114

The theory says hammer him at anything over 5-1. Instead I get cute and play exotics. Top pick wins and the five horses I played underneath him in the exacta, trifecta and $.10 superfecta finish 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 9th.

OTM Al
03-29-2011, 11:52 AM
The horse was my top pick in the race.

Using the Beyer Average Theory with the Ratings Post conversion, top two horses were:

Twice Over was 114.5
Victoire Pisa was 114

The theory says hammer him at anything over 5-1. Instead I get cute and play exotics. Top pick wins and the five horses I played underneath him in the exacta, trifecta and $.10 superfecta finish 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 9th.

Man I did the same stupid thing. After constantly telling myself, win bet your top choice if he's 10-1 or better always, once again I failed to do it. My top picks won 4 of the 7, my second picks 2 and my third pick 1 and I netted a whole $17 on the card. Was still so mad at myself that I didn't even bother looking at a PP on Sunday.

On Spec
03-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Lots of interesting replies, thanks. I'll take off my Conspiracy Hat now.

Now putting on my Slow-Pace-So-Everyone-Collapses-Now-All-At-The-Same-Time hat. Though my Synthetics-Are-Puzzling-To-Horses-Too hat looks very wearable.

FenceBored
03-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Lots of interesting replies, thanks. I'll take off my Conspiracy Hat now.

Now putting on my Slow-Pace-So-Everyone-Collapses-Now-All-At-The-Same-Time hat. Though my Synthetics-Are-Puzzling-To-Horses-Too hat looks very wearable.

Now don't be too hasty! :D

With Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum's own horse, Monterosso, issuing some sort of challenge between horses for the World Cup in the final stages of the race, the ruler of Dubai showed his passion for horse racing and his humanity in cheering home Victoire Pisa like a hundred-dollar punter with his last on the Japanese hero.
-- http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/news/news20110330e.asp (http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/news/news20110330e.asp)