PDA

View Full Version : Trainer ships in uses top jock

turfbar
03-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Let me present this scenario, a formidable trainer ships in,plans to run 2 horses as an entry brings his go -to guy with him, and I always had heard racetrack
protocol was to give the leading track jock the other mount. Now I am from the school that a trainer knows when his horse is gonna pop and makes jockey switches to insure that result. Is this myth? A misunderstanding by me ?

I would like some feedback. In full disclosure Kelly Breen did this yesterday at FG in what is one of thier BIG races of the year. Long story short Joe Bravo rode
Nacho Business, Rosie rode Pants on Fire which yielded a fat $14.60.

Turfbar

lamboguy
03-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Let me present this scenario, a formidable trainer ships in,plans to run 2 horses as an entry brings his go -to guy with him, and I always had heard racetrack
protocol was to give the leading track jock the other mount. Now I am from the school that a trainer knows when his horse is gonna pop and makes jockey switches to insure that result. Is this myth? A misunderstanding by me ?

I would like some feedback. In full disclosure Kelly Breen did this yesterday at FG in what is one of thier BIG races of the year. Long story short Joe Bravo rode

Turfbarhse has ridden for him before. she might not have had a better mount to the race. she is a top rider for sure. if i had a big horse training where she rode i would go to her in a heartbeat too. i like to have the same guy riding a horse every race though and she would jump off if her agent thought she had something better to ride. i don't even know who her agent is now, i know she had bobby klesaris about a year ago.

point given
03-27-2011, 11:27 AM
This is from the DRF article/

Pants On Fire had finished sixth to Mucho Macho Man in last month's Risen Star Stakes, the major prep for the Louisiana Derby. Breen said that Pants On Fire always had seemed to be inferior to Nacho Business in his training, "but you could see him start to blossom recently," he said after the race.

"It was like the lightbulb went on," Breen said. "Six weeks ago, he could not hold a candle to Nacho Business. But he shipped good. You could see him develop. He was really doing well. You don't know what or when it why it happens. He did have a little bit of a lung infection after his last race, and we cleaned it out with antibiotics. This was good timing, a million-dollar race

therussmeister
03-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Turfbar

Yes, it is a myth - at least some of the time. Trainers don't always know.

Hanover1
03-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Not so much a myth, but an assumption based on sound reasoning. Variables/intangibles deal the rest of the cards.

Robert Goren
03-28-2011, 07:59 AM
There is a reason most trainers seldom make a bet.

Stillriledup
03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Nacho Business was the better horse going into the race. If these two horses were uncoupled, NB would have been a much shorter price than POF. Bravo just took the horse who was better at the time.

In a million dollar graded race like this, the jock is going to pick the horse he feels is better.

turfbar
03-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Let me modify this "myth" with a real life experience back when I was a kid. We, me and my friends, when we were teenagers went to Fort Erie almost daily if not,then on weekends. In those days FE was in it's glory was actually compared
to Saratoga as the august place to be (thats when FE had its best meet) all the horses jocks and trainers would come down from Toronto and relax at FE.

Avelino Gomez, Sandy Hawley, Frankie Merrill,Doug Davis and such.

Well there was a famous trainer ,who I will not name ,was always going to the window, and in the day FE was a small track by standards, so you could track these guys as they maneuvered through the stands. One day I was behind said trainer in line (b4 SAMS) and he was betting a shitload of money , being curious
I strained to see what he was betting and then bet what he had bet. VOILA!!

It was a great hit for me, I think I had it $10 $10.

So i got in the habit of looking for him and following him to the window and betting what he bet. Do I have to tell ya that was a very good summer for me.

I agree , it is a horse race and anything can happen ,but you would have to give me a litany reasons other than TRAINER INTENT.

Turfbar