PDA

View Full Version : 3 year olds vs. 4 year olds

fiveouttasix
03-27-2011, 06:33 AM
At this time of the year in the Maiden and Alw. races do you give preference to the older horses?
I wonder if anyone with a database has info on this by month...Jan. - Feb.- Mar. & April. ( I am assuming by May it is probably not a factor)

Bennie
03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Just my personal preference, I will use 3 yr. olds in maiden races without hesitation because I don't like 4 and 5 yr. olds who are still maidens. In allowance races I give the edge to older horses in routes but sprints I just try to go with the best horses in the race with no age preference.

JohnGalt1
03-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Check out Dave Sahwartz's website www.thehorsehandicappingauthority.com.

He has a video that answers your question with statistics.

Dave Schwartz
03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Here is a direct link ot the YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eASUJ7rlU8

fiveouttasix
03-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks Dave...3 year olds are at a slight disadvantage in Jan-Feb & Mar.
I wonder if it is more pronounced in Route races as Bennie suspects.

Dave Schwartz
03-27-2011, 11:26 AM
I would think so.

Sunday.Silence
03-27-2011, 09:12 PM
one of my favorite angles this time of year is a 3YO who raced against older last time and is back in against straight 3YO.....unfortunately its just another angle that you dont see as much nowadays as you used to in the past

BIG49010
03-27-2011, 09:52 PM
At the old Sportsman's Park they used to have 3-4 year old MSW and Allowance races. You would get good prices on the 3 year olds that had decent speed figs as a 2 year old that had been off since mid fall and were making the 1st start back against the older horses who appeared to have an advantage, but the 2 year olds had matured from the fall in many cases and would win for fun.

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Check out Dave Sahwartz'sThat's a new one... :lol:

bigmack
03-28-2011, 04:10 AM
That's a new one... :lol:
Somehow it calls to mind a biz I bought into years ago in LA.

Twirly signs placed on the sidewalk that would spin in the wind. One of our biggest sellers in Hollywood was a "Twirly" that read Falafel on one side & Shawarma on the other.

On a windy day it rapidly read: Falafel/Shawarma, Falafel/Shawarma, Falafel/ Shawarma, Falafel/Shawarma...

They sold like hotcakes. :rolleyes: