PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read The Horseplayer BC magazine?

alysheba88
10-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Man has this publication gone WAY down hill. Virtually worthless. Not going to resubscribe.

Last issue they had shilling for Sam Rothstein and John Piesen. Was an advertisement disguised as a review.

The BC issue is a joke. The conclusion on virtually every race is the favororite will win. Had 8 different guys review the races (one per race) and still each guy lands on the chalk. Worthless.

cj
10-21-2003, 08:08 AM
Yep, I got it, and I'm done with this magazine. It really started out well. I have every single issue. It now stinks. Not only do they shill for John Piesen, he now writes for them in the same issue. He did the Sprint write up. The whole thing is a dissapointment...garbage!

cato
10-21-2003, 09:30 AM
On the other hand this is the fist issue of the Horseplayer that I received before the featured event occurred! So they've improved the delivery logistics....but not the content.

Cato

Larry Hamilton
10-21-2003, 09:35 AM
I have the first 15 or so copies, I quit--pretty pictures, weak content.

blind squirrel
10-21-2003, 02:16 PM
I've been a subsciber since the first issue.is it just me or
is SCOTT MCMANNUS the worst turf writer of all time.i'm
sorry,if i want to go to sleep i start reading his article.

one year the guy writing the SPRINT{MIKE SMITH} said no
horse that finished lower than third ever came back to win
the BC sprint.ever heard of CARDMANIA?I think he finished
12th at GULF 92 and came back to win at SA.

i wrote him,never heard back.don't give a stat like that in
a national mag without doing your research.

i agree,now it's just a "pimp"for touts and BRIS.

takeout
10-21-2003, 04:59 PM
They lost me about a year ago. I liked it when it first started and I used to like those articles by Bud Choate. Nothing much left but ads now. And even THAT wouldn't be sooo bad if they would just put all that BS in one place and quit passing them off as articles.

Niko
10-21-2003, 06:12 PM
I subscribed a little over a year ago. I figure there's got to be something decent out there for us horseplayers. Maybe it's because we're not rank beginners but the magazine is almost a complete waste of time. As people have mentioned, weak content, always late and usually the writers are pushing their product in a round about way.
The thing I've enjoyed the most has been Davidowitz's editorials. They should put him in charge of the NTRA. He has some great ideas about horseracing from a players point of view.