PDA

View Full Version : Turn Out the Lights, the Lightbulb is Over.

BlueShoe
03-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Thomas Edison RIP. His invention, the incandescent lightbulb, is rapidly being phased out, to be replaced by compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) and LED bulbs. With energy mandates slated to go into effect between 2012 and 2014 it will render the old style bulbs effectively obsolete. California has already started, as of Jan 1 100 and 150 watt incandescent bulbs are no longer sold, only 90 watt and below. The new CFL bulbs have many flaws; they are very expensive, do not provide as much light, do not last nearly as long as reputed, are difficult to dispose of, are downright dangerous if broken as they contain mercury, and so on. Still, in its ever increasing effort to control its citizens, our government is now telling us how we are to light our homes and workplaces. If you are content with the old bulbs, as I am, and reject government interference, suggest that you purchase, stock up, and hoard them, as I intend to do, while you still can. Senator Mike Enzi, R-Wyoming and several colleagues, are sponsoring legislation that would rescind this intrusive nonsense.
www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=42495 (http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=42495)

Robert Goren
03-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I have long ago made the switch. While the new bulbs do not last long as advertised, they still out last the old bulbs by quite a bit. Running a parking garage(as I did) will give you an education in light bulbs pretty fast. Believe me when I say the new bulbs are a good deal.

boxcar
03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I have long ago made the switch. While the new bulbs do not last long as advertised, they still out last the old bulbs by quite a bit. Running a parking garage(as I did) will give you an education in light bulbs pretty fast. Believe me when I say the new bulbs are a good deal.

The new bulbs are "decent" in specific environments, but by no means in all environments or areas. You mention garages. This is one area I use the inferior lighting technology because I don't spend very much time in my garage reading or working at night. Plus the bulbs have a longer life if they're not switched on and off frequently, which they're not in my garage environment.

I also use this technology for out on my patio where one of my cats has taken up permanent residence. Again...basically for the same reasons as above.

I also use two of these lights in my office where all my 'putering is done. However, when I need to do some work at my regular desk in the evening, I have to switch on the second light because one light is not sufficient to see by in my modest-sized office! Ironically, one regular incandescent 100-W bulb would suffice, but not so with the CFLs. The lighting of these is really inferior and not very eye-friendly.

For the rest of my house -- I use my beloved incandescents because of their superior lighting quality and because they're easier on the eyes.

Blue Shoe, I'll leave you in my will. I have to think I have enough incadescents to will to someone. I stocked up on them beginning a couple of years ago. :D

Boxcar

RaceBookJoe
03-25-2011, 04:18 PM
I have had a problem with the new 5-yr CFLs burning out within 1 yr. Having said that, i really like the 75-watt "daylight" cfls...for me they are easier on the eyes when reading and give off a decent amount of light, and I'm sure taht the 100 watt ones are even better. rbj

boxcar
03-25-2011, 05:03 PM
I have had a problem with the new 5-yr CFLs burning out within 1 yr. Having said that, i really like the 75-watt "daylight" cfls...for me they are easier on the eyes when reading and give off a decent amount of light, and I'm sure taht the 100 watt ones are even better. rbj

I didn't know there was such an animal as "daylight" bulbs. I take it that feature is advertised on the packaging? Are they more pricey than the regular CFLs?

Boxcar

cj's dad
03-25-2011, 05:06 PM
snip> The typical luminous efficacy of CFL lamps is 60 to 72 lumens per watt, and that of normal domestic incandescent lamps is 13 to 18 lm/W.< snip

The CFL is 4 to 5 times brighter (lumens) than an equivalent incand. bulb. The CFL is however harder to safely dispose of and does, in my opinion, emit a harsher light than the inc. bulb.

more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

Let's Roll
03-25-2011, 06:48 PM
I have a dozen CFL's at home, in recessed ceiling fixtures. The light is fine, except when the attic is very cold, the cooler bulbs take longer to reach full brightness.
What bothers me about the CFL bulbs is the mecury inside them. Mercury is very toxic, you can not throw these things in a landfill, you will expose the environment and any workers who handle refuse. When they break inside the home there is a procedure you must follow to dispose of the broken bulb. My local Home Depot has a recycling bin for unbroken bulbs.

ArlJim78
03-25-2011, 07:00 PM
break a CFL? no problem, clean-up is a snap. just follow these steps;

Before Cleanup

Have people and pets leave the room, and avoid the breakage area on the way out.
Open a window or door to the outdoors and leave the room for 5-10 minutes.
Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning (H&AC) system, if you have one.
Collect materials you will need to clean up the broken bulb:

Stiff paper or cardboard
Sticky tape (e.g., duct tape)
Damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces)
Glass jar with a metal lid (such as a canning jar) or a sealable plastic bag(s)

Cleanup Steps for Hard Surfaces

Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place debris and paper/cardboard in a glass jar with a metal lid. If a glass jar is not available, use a sealable plastic bag. (NOTE: Since a plastic bag will not prevent the mercury vapor from escaping, remove the plastic bag(s) from the home after cleanup.)
Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag.
Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
Vacuuming of hard surfaces during cleanup is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. [NOTE: It is possible that vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor, although available information on this problem is limited.] If vacuuming is needed to ensure removal of all broken glass, keep the following tips in mind:

Keep a window or door to the outdoors open;
Vacuum the area where the bulb was broken using the vacuum hose, if available; and
Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister) and seal the bag/vacuum debris, and any materials used to clean the vacuum, in a plastic bag.

Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly.

Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your area. Some states and communities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center.

Wash your hands with soap and water after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing bulb debris and cleanup materials.
Continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the H&AC system shut off, as practical, for several hours.
Cleanup Steps for Carpeting or Rugs

Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place debris and paper/cardboard in a glass jar with a metal lid. If a glass jar is not available, use a sealable plastic bag. (NOTE: Since a plastic bag will not prevent the mercury vapor from escaping, remove the plastic bag(s) from the home after cleanup.)
Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag.
Vacuuming of carpeting or rugs during cleanup is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. [NOTE: It is possible that vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor, although available information on this problem is limited.] If vacuuming is needed to ensure removal of all broken glass, keep the following tips in mind:

Vacuum the area where the bulb was broken using the vacuum hose, if available, and
Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister) and seal the bag/vacuum debris, and any materials used to clean the vacuum, in a plastic bag.

Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly.

Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your area. Some states and communities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center.

Wash your hands with soap and water after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing bulb debris and cleanup materials.
Continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the H&AC system shut off, as practical, for several hours.

RaceBookJoe
03-25-2011, 07:02 PM
I didn't know there was such an animal as "daylight" bulbs. I take it that feature is advertised on the packaging? Are they more pricey than the regular CFLs?

Boxcar

Yes, they do say "daylight" on them. I got them at Home Depot but i dont remember how much they cost...didnt seem like too much, maybe $1/bulb or somewhere in that area? You can definately tell the difference between the 75-watt and the 60-watt, and its a much more natural light. The only thing i am confused about is when the socket recommends that you use no higher than a 60-watt 'normal' bulb, can you put in a higher watt CFL since it takes less power?? rbj

wisconsin
03-25-2011, 07:45 PM
I bought some ICL spots at Home Depot for my living room ceiling lights, and when I need light, I have to wait for them to "warm up". Takes about 10 minutes to get any light you can use. Paid 3x for these "5-year" spots. I'll remember to go back to my old ways and buy some reserve spots made the old way.

boxcar
03-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Before Cleanup

Have people and pets leave the room, and avoid the breakage area on the way out.
Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning (H&AC) system, if you have one.

Stiff paper or cardboard

Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
Vacuuming of hard surfaces during cleanup is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. [NOTE: It is possible that vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor, although available information on this problem is limited.] If vacuuming is needed to ensure removal of all broken glass, keep the following tips in mind:

Vacuum the area where the bulb was broken using the vacuum hose, if available; and

Vacuuming of carpeting or rugs during cleanup is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. [NOTE: It is possible that vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor, although available information on this problem is limited.] If vacuuming is needed to ensure removal of all broken glass, keep the following tips in mind:

Vacuum the area where the bulb was broken using the vacuum hose, if available, and

Yupper. You just gotta know this is another "brilliant" Nanny State idea when cleanup of a light bulb starts approaching the complexity of the tax code. Unless something isn't complex, then to the state's mind, it's not a good idea.

Boxcar

boxcar
03-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes, they do say "daylight" on them. I got them at Home Depot but i dont remember how much they cost...didnt seem like too much, maybe $1/bulb or somewhere in that area? You can definately tell the difference between the 75-watt and the 60-watt, and its a much more natural light. The only thing i am confused about is when the socket recommends that you use no higher than a 60-watt 'normal' bulb, can you put in a higher watt CFL since it takes less power?? rbj

Yes, you can because CFLs consume fewer watts. As long as the wattage consumption of the CFL doesn't exceed the stated limits on the fixture, you'll be okay. I forget what the differential are among the various wattages, but a "60W" CFL only consume about 13W, I think. Therefore, you could stick this "60W" into a fixture rated for only 40W, etc.

Thanks for the info, btw.

Boxcar

RaceBookJoe
03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes, you can because CFLs consume fewer watts. As long as the wattage consumption of the CFL doesn't exceed the stated limits on the fixture, you'll be okay. I forget what the differential are among the various wattages, but a "60W" CFL only consume about 13W, I think. Therefore, you could stick this "60W" into a fixture rated for only 40W, etc.

Boxcar

No problem, and thank you for the return info. rbj

cj's dad
03-25-2011, 11:30 PM
For those of you who are electrically challenged, the CFL lamps will cost less to pay for than Icand. lamps. The LUMENS are the difference between the two. Trust me when I say you will be sorry 10-15 years from now !!

JustRalph
03-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Oops! The Trash guy is going to be mad at me...........

Before Cleanup

Stiff paper or cardboard

BlueShoe
03-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Blue Shoe, I'll leave you in my will. I have to think I have enough incadescents to will to someone. I stocked up on them beginning a couple of years ago. :D
Thanks, but if I go before you, name an alternate that could use them. :) Another thing I need to stock up on while I can is plastic bags, the #%^@ bureaucrats in California are banning them too. :mad: About a year and a half ago my city utility company knocked on my door and gave me a box containing two of the new bulbs, which were promptly placed in the far corner of an upper shelf, where they have remained. All this really has little to do with light bulbs or plastic bags, it has everthing to do with government intrusion and control over our lives. Hoarding bulbs and bags is just a small gesture of defiance directed at the Big Brothers.

bigmack
03-26-2011, 01:18 AM
In CA everybody that has service is required to pay PPP. Public Purpose Programs for the cost of state-mandated programs, such as low-income and energy efficiency programs.

The funds are used to give rebates to businesses to retrofit their existing lighting. When I found out the rebates were so generous that businesses could get new fixtures, free of charge, I started a lighting company. Selling free stuff, paid for by forcing people to pony-up loot has been berry berry good to me.

Pace Cap'n
03-26-2011, 02:11 AM
The wattage limitation, (as in 60W max) is due to the amount of heat generated by the light fixture. As long as the new bulb doesn't run hotter, it'll be fine.

Tom
03-26-2011, 10:23 AM
This will be great tool for terrorists - just thorw a bunch of these into crowds, public places......what the hell can the penalty be?

It amaze me how utterly stupid this government and tree-huggers can be.
Sap must run into their ears and coat their pea brains.

boxcar
03-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks, but if I go before you, name an alternate that could use them. :) Another thing I need to stock up on while I can is plastic bags, the #%^@ bureaucrats in California are banning them too. :mad: About a year and a half ago my city utility company knocked on my door and gave me a box containing two of the new bulbs, which were promptly placed in the far corner of an upper shelf, where they have remained. All this really has little to do with light bulbs or plastic bags, it has everthing to do with government intrusion and control over our lives. Hoarding bulbs and bags is just a small gesture of defiance directed at the Big Brothers.

Are you talking about plastic garbage bags (can liners? Or are you talking about those plastic grocery T-sacks?

But you're right. It's all about control. The current soft tyranny is turning harder day by day.

Boxcar

boxcar
03-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Oops! The Trash guy is going to be mad at me...........

:lol: :lol: Yeah, as if most people are going to comply with all those rules, especially when it comes to discarding them. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

ArlJim78
03-26-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm considering breaking a package of bulbs in honor of earth hour later tonight.

boxcar
03-26-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm considering breaking a package of bulbs in honor of earth hour later tonight.

Oh, you mean-spirited, wascally weepublican! :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

BlueShoe
03-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Are you talking about plastic garbage bags (can liners? Or are you talking about those plastic grocery T-sacks?
Plastic grocery bags. Soon we are either supposed to go back to paper bags or else bring in our own shopping bags made out of whatever. I already have been saving the plastic grocery bags and the plastic wrappers my newspaper often comes in for years and recycling them at the bins in the stores. Do use a few for hosehold chores. Number one function is as a disposal bag for when I clean my cats litter box.:D

RaceBookJoe
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Boxcar

Quick update : The brand i bought at Home Depot was ecosmart, its a 4-pack that sells for $4.97. They are called daylight compact flourescent bulbs, 60watt equivalent, 800 lumens, 10,000 life in hours supposedly last 9 yrs. Indoor/outdoor/instant on, not dimmable. They are up to 70% less mercury than standard CFL bulbs. I still like the 75watt version a little bit better...little more expensive also. rbj

highnote
03-30-2011, 04:58 AM
Plastic grocery bags. Soon we are either supposed to go back to paper bags or else bring in our own shopping bags made out of whatever.

Plastic grocery bags have been banned on Maui. The one thing I noticed on Maui was that I did not see a bunch of plastic bags stuck in the trees and blowing in the breeze the way you see them here in Connecticut.

Our hotel gave us free shopping bags (with their logo on them, of course) to use while shopping. It didn't bother me. We have started using cloth shopping bags here in CT. We still get the plastic ones on occasion and have a good supply of them. But I could live without them.

I wonder how much energy is used to make 1 cloth bag compared to 1 plastic bag? I have a feeling plastic might cost less in the long run than cloth.

If cost is the primary concern than plastic might be the better choice. However, if aesthetics are the primary concern then cloth wins hands down. You don't see many cloth bags hanging from the trees.

dartman51
03-30-2011, 11:31 AM
What to Do if a Fluorescent Light Bulb Breaks
Fluorescent light bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. EPA recommends the following clean-up and disposal guidelines:

Open a window and leave the room (restrict access) for at least 15 minutes. What if it's 10 below 0 outside? Or 100 in the shade? There goes the electric bill.

Remove all materials you can without using a vacuum cleaner.

Wear disposable rubber gloves, if available (do not use your bare hands). Extra cost, not something most people keep around the house.

Carefully scoop up the fragments and powder with stiff paper or cardboard.

Wipe the area clean with a damp paper towel or disposable wet wipe.

Sticky tape (such as duct tape) can be used to pick up small pieces and powder.

Place all cleanup materials in a plastic bag and seal it. Aren't we supposed to stop using plastic bags?:confused:

If your state permits you to put used or broken fluorescent light bulbs in the garbage, seal the bulb in two plastic bags and put into the outside trash (if no other disposal or recycling options are available). More plastic bags?? :confused:
If your state doesn't permit it, then what??

Wash your hands after disposing of the bag.

The first time you vacuum the area where the bulb was broken, remove the vacuum bag once done cleaning the area(If you just put in a clean bag, that's more waste, more expense.)(or empty and wipe the canister) and put the bag and/or vacuum debris, as well as the cleaning materials, in two sealed plastic bags in the outdoor trash or protected outdoor location for normal disposal.More plastic bags, looks like the cleanup process is defeating the purpose of the bulb in the first place.

forced89
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
FWIW I use one of these new bulbs outdoors, outside the back door of my house. I leave it on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, etc. Never turn it off. Temperature ranged from 0 to 100 degrees (Texas). My first one lasted over 3 years; my second one is still going after 3 years.

BlueShoe
03-31-2011, 02:02 PM
How about organizing and observing an annual Break-a-Bulb-Day?:rolleyes: As a gesture of protest and defiance, we could smash a new CFL in front of the headquarters of the governmental and environmental groups that mandated these things on us. April 22 would be a good choice to initiate this ritual. Just coincidentally(?) April 22 happens to be Earth Day. Not at all coincidentally, April 22 happens to be the birthday of Vladimir Lenin. Earth Day and Lenins birthday on the same day. Do you think that this was just an accident? I sure as hell do not.

boxcar
03-31-2011, 04:55 PM
FWIW I use one of these new bulbs outdoors, outside the back door of my house. I leave it on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, etc. Never turn it off. Temperature ranged from 0 to 100 degrees (Texas). My first one lasted over 3 years; my second one is still going after 3 years.

Yup, they're pretty decent in certain applications. But there's no way I would 'em everywhere in the house.

Boxcar

BlueShoe
05-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I have committed a crime. I confess. It was planned long ago and I did it. The deed was done last Monday at the Walmart in Bullhead City, Arizona. Spent the week in Laughlin, but instead of driving directly to my hotel, crossed the river and drove up the Arizona side on the way in and stopped at Walmart. There I purchased as many old style 100 watt bulbs as I could find, which are now no longer sold in California. $1.24 for a 4 pack, 1690 lumens, compared to 1450 for the 90 watters now sold in my state. Alas, there were not that many 100 watt bulbs for sale, would have liked to have gotten many more, but took all they had, plus a few 60 watt bulbs. Waiting in the checkout line got a few puzzled looks as local shoppers viewed my cart full of lightbulbs. When I explained that I lived in a state controlled by the Bolsheviks, where incandescent bulbs are being banned, they nodded in understanding. Another trip will be coming up in the fall, and will stop in again and load up on bulbs before they go away even in Arizona. In the meantime, have to avoid the Lightbulb Police and hope that they do not take away my bulbs and arrest me.

highnote
05-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Is it illegal to use incandescent bulbs in California or are the just no longer sold?

Is it illegal to sell them in California?

I can see an opportunity here. Shipping bulbs from out of state to California buyers.

BlueShoe
05-27-2011, 10:51 AM
California still sells 90 watts and below, but in January the ban will become only 40 watts and below. The incandescent phase out is not just California, it is also Federal, California is just ahead of other states in its efforts to control its citizens by imposing ever increasing restrictions. The federal phase outs are scheduled to take place from 2012 to 2018 with the intention of completely doing away with the old style bulbs. Have heard that US manufacturers are no longer producing incandescent bulbs of 100 watts and above, and may soon stop making any old style bulbs of any size. This means foreign imports and older US made stock while they can still be had. Have a hunch that many like myself will soon start buying up and hoarding all the old bulbs that they can find, leading to a shortage and disappearence from store shelves. Black market in lightbulbs anyone?

Tom
05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
To go along with the incandescent phase out, the dems are concurrently running the mental phase out.

Stupid people running wild!

Ask me about my lawn mower, thanks to the moron tree huggers. :(

BlueShoe
04-21-2012, 04:10 PM
How about organizing and observing an annual Break-a-Bulb-Day?:rolleyes: As a gesture of protest and defiance, we could smash a new CFL in front of the headquarters of the governmental and environmental groups that mandated these things on us. April 22 would be a good choice to initiate this ritual. Just coincidentally(?) April 22 happens to be Earth Day. Not at all coincidentally, April 22 happens to be the birthday of Vladimir Lenin. Earth Day and Lenins birthday on the same day. Do you think that this was just an accident? I sure as hell do not.
Absolutely no attitude change since this post of over a year ago. Tommorow, Sunday Apri 22, the greenies, eco-freaks and Marxists around the globe get their annual day of paying homage to Earth Day and Lenin's birthday. Earth Day is people control day disguised, and of course Lenin we know about. A few weeks ago was in Arizona and found some good old fashioned energy wasting 100 watt incandescent light bulbs, and now have enough of them to last me the rest of my life if used sparingly.

Just to piss off the Marxist greenies do something outrageous Sunday. Burn a whale oil lamp, drive your lowest milage vehicle an extra distance, mow the lawn with that old smoke belching gas mower, wash the car while dumping suds in places that drain into the streams, barbeque a huge chunk of methane producing beef with smoky charcoal, and when you are done dump all the grease and fat down the drain along with that old can of motor oil that you no longer need. Screw you eco-freak commie greenies, take that!

BlueShoe
04-22-2013, 06:15 PM
For the third year in a row am advising all to do something outrageous to upset the Greenies/Eco-Freaks/Bolsheviks gang of thugs today. Observe the Marxist Earth Day/Lenin's Birthday by using up lots of energy. All the lights in my place have been turned on all day, using, of course, those obsolete 100 watt incandescent bulbs that the all mighty government says that we can no longer use. Have plenty left, they should last me the rest of my life. See my 2012 post for a few more wonderful energy burning hints.

horses4courses
04-22-2013, 07:00 PM
For the third year in a row am advising all to do something outrageous to upset the Greenies/Eco-Freaks/Bolsheviks gang of thugs today. Observe the Marxist Earth Day/Lenin's Birthday by using up lots of energy. All the lights in my place have been turned on all day, using, of course, those obsolete 100 watt incandescent bulbs that the all mighty government says that we can no longer use. Have plenty left, they should last me the rest of my life. See my 2012 post for a few more wonderful energy burning hints.

Happy Earth Day :liar:

mostpost
04-22-2013, 07:56 PM
You are the only person in the world who still uses the term Bolsheviks. But that's okay because it shows us how out of touch you are.

BlueShoe
04-22-2013, 08:12 PM
You are the only person in the world who still uses the term Bolsheviks. But that's okay because it shows us how out of touch you are.
Mosty Old Boy, if the shoe fits wear it, eh? Oldies but Goodies still works. We are not talking about Lenin in this case, or about the Russian Revolution, but refering to those that today follow and practice his doctrine.
www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/Bolshevik (http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/Bolshevik)

Tom
04-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Celebrate Earth Day - plant a liberal. :rolleyes:

If the leftie-wackos really wanted to celebrate EARTH DAY,they would protest those new light bulbs that are FAR more dangerous to the environment than good old AMERICAN light bulb, not to mention all the JOBS the new crap took to China.

Libs - like manure, are Organic.

boxcar
04-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Mosty Old Boy, if the shoe fits wear it, eh? Oldies but Goodies still works. We are not talking about Lenin in this case, or about the Russian Revolution, but refering to those that today follow and practice his doctrine.
www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/Bolshevik (http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/Bolshevik)

Mosty is most[l]y the typical grumpy, old liberal. Even when the shoe fits him perfectly, he complains. (Good puns intended.) :D

Boxcar

iceknight
04-22-2013, 10:24 PM
The new CFL bulbs have many flaws; they are very expensive, do not provide as much light, do not last nearly as long as reputed, are difficult to dispose of, are downright dangerous if broken as they contain mercury, and so on. Yes. and the earth is still flat.
Do you understand terms like Return on invested capital or payback cost etc? record your data honestly for yourself on the life of the bulb (under correct use conditions, don't place an indoor bulb outdoors or place it in recess if it says no). Then do the math of electricity use cost. Once you do capital cost (cost of bulb) + use cost (electricity), and you still see.
By the way, since you raising this issue of mercury, I assume you don't touch fish or are totally against coal fired electricity? (which is still a good 43% of our US electricity production share)

I actually pray for earth everyday and there is no shame in being more efficient in our resource use every day of ht earth.

Rookies
04-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Mosty is most[l]y the typical grumpy, old liberal. Even when the shoe fits him perfectly, he complains. (Good puns intended.) :D

Boxcar

And you and Old (A Chicken in every pot and Reds under every bed) Blue are absolutely the most certifiable from your side !(notwithstandingthatI'dliketomeetyouboth).:lol:

One day, you'll cross that invisible border from the 19th.- 20th century.

Of that, I have no doubt! ;)

iceknight
04-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Celebrate Earth Day - plant a liberal. :rolleyes:

If the leftie-wackos really wanted to celebrate EARTH DAY,they would protest those new light bulbs that are FAR more dangerous to the environment than good old AMERICAN light bulb, not to mention all the JOBS the new crap took to China.

Libs - like manure, are Organic. No, not by any means, considering that 43% of our electricity still comes from burning coal and burning coal produces a lot more mercury into air, it can be shown that using incandescent lamps in today's age, releases more mercury in the air when an equivalent cfl (now L.E.D.s are entering the market too) would reduce total mercury emissions.
There may be other quirks like "harsh light" etc. but I didn't see your grandfather still sticking to candles over incandescent bulbs when they came out first.

Tom
04-22-2013, 10:50 PM
My grandfather stopped using candles because he HAD a choice - a new product, brought on by the market, not a political agenda. That is the American way, not the communist way.

The new bulbs are dangerous, pollute, and cost jobs. The new plants constructed in China to make them - are you naive enough to think they will adhere to good environmental standards like plants in the USA?

Quirks? Like skin cancer? :lol::lol::lol:

iceknight
04-23-2013, 12:41 AM
My grandfather stopped using candles because he HAD a choice - a new product, brought on by the market, not a political agenda. That is the American way, not the communist way.

The new bulbs are dangerous, pollute, and cost jobs. The new plants constructed in China to make them - are you naive enough to think they will adhere to good environmental standards like plants in the USA?

Quirks? Like skin cancer? :lol::lol::lol: Actually, I read about the entire story and other accompanying links (searched and read) now. I agree with you and blue that government should not be "controlling it" or banning things. Initially I thought it was a just a pet peeve that being discussed here.
While there are strong benefits to switching to efficient lighting for most purposes, banning is not the way to go. Taxation, maybe? haha govt would love that!

I also wanted to add 1-2 things:
1. There are newer CFLs with domes on them, that look and give a more diffused light, so they are less harsh.
2. The Mercury exposure from broken lamp is quite low compared to eating a fish (link (http://www.1000bulbs.com/pages/mercury.html))

BlueShoe
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
I also wanted to add 1-2 things:
1. There are newer CFLs with domes on them, that look and give a more diffused light, so they are less harsh.
When they produce a bulb that I can actually read my Form under without squinting, does not cost a lot, and does not require a disposal process two pages long if dropped, then I might listen and try them, but only if I choose to do so, not because the Bolsheviks (sorry Mosty :D ) say that I must. Until then, what good old Tom Edison gave us long ago remains the choice.

BlueShoe
04-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Tommorow, Tuesday Apri 22, the greenies, eco-freaks and Marxists around the globe get their annual day of paying homage to Earth Day and Lenin's birthday. Earth Day is people control day disguised, and of course Lenin we know about. A couple of years ago was in Arizona and found some good old fashioned energy wasting 100 watt incandescent light bulbs, and now have enough of them to last me the rest of my life if used sparingly.

Just to piss off the Marxist greenies do something outrageous Tuesday. Burn a whale oil lamp, drive your lowest milage vehicle an extra distance, mow the lawn with that old smoke belching gas mower, wash the car while dumping suds in places that drain into the streams, barbeque a huge chunk of methane producing beef with smoky charcoal, and when you are done dump all the grease and fat down the drain along with that old can of motor oil that you no longer need. Screw you eco-freak commie greenies, take that!
The above is a slightly modified version, to reflect the new date, of my post from 2012. No reason at all to change the general content or mood. Still detest the new Bolshevik Bulbs :rolleyes: (Mosty loves that word! :D ) and will not use them. Have plenty of the old 100 Watters left. :ThmbUp: In the meantime, tommorow, when you are pouring all that junk down the drains and upsetting the Comrades paying homage to Lenin, all good patriots should make an extra effort and pour an eco-freak greenie down the drain as well.