PDA

View Full Version : Who was the most overhyped/overrated runnerup?

Valuist
03-24-2011, 02:32 PM
After seeing the ESPN documentary on Michigans "Fab 5", one must remember that they did NOT win the NCAA championship....yet they, and not Duke had a documentary done about them. This brought to mind a number of runnerups, who for some reason or another, were mistakenly viewed as superior by much of the public:

a) Michigan's Fab 5--they allegedly didn't even invent the baggy pants
b) Easy Goer's BC Classic--to listen to New Yorkers, Sunday Silence never beat him....in the Derby, Preakness or BC Classic
c) Zenyatta's BC Classic---you lose a photo finish to a horse who has accomplished more than you so you win Horse of the Year? WTF???
d) 2007-2008 New England Patriots
e) 1982-1983 Houston "Phi Slamma Jamma"---die hard chalk players still are in denial

I'm sure there's more that I have forgotten or missed. But these were all darlings of the public and media.

MaTH716
03-24-2011, 03:29 PM
1985 Georgetown Hoyas who lost to Nova in the finals.

cj's dad
03-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Liston vs. Clay - 1964 Clay beats a beast of a man !!

Baltimore Colts - 1964 loss to the Cleveland Browns 34-0 ? Colts favored

Baltimore Colts - 1969 Super Bowl loss to the NY Jets ? 16-7 ?? Colts favoresdby as much as 16+ - unreal

Baltimore Orioles - 1969 loss to the NY Mets ?? unreal - O's had won 109 games !!

G'town loses to Nova - 1985 - - Weren't there drug use allegations following the 'Nova championship ??

OTM Al
03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Kinda silly to call a team overrated if they made it to a championship game. Living up to the expectation of winning it all is pretty difficult. It would make much more sense if such a team bombs out early to a clearly inferior team that goes no further. Best example of that in the tourney right now is Notre Dame (snicker)

Robert Goren
03-24-2011, 10:28 PM
The 1954 world series. The Cleveland Indians who broke the Yankees string of 5 world series wins by winning the AL pennant by winning a then record of 111 games in a 154 game schedule. Then lost to the NY Giants in four straight. The Yankees won 103 games that year. More than they had won in any of the previous 5 WS winning seasons. How bad was the rest of the AL that year?

chickenhead
03-25-2011, 01:05 AM
the great UNLV b-ball team of 1991, they had an aura of invincibility until the Duke game.

Valuist
03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Kinda silly to call a team overrated if they made it to a championship game. Living up to the expectation of winning it all is pretty difficult. It would make much more sense if such a team bombs out early to a clearly inferior team that goes no further. Best example of that in the tourney right now is Notre Dame (snicker)

I was referring to instances where the defeated team/horse is still perceived by many to have won. I guarantee you there's many uninformed Zenyatta fans who believe she won the 2010 Classic, just like Easy Goer fans who must think that the Belmont was the only race that counted and he didn't lose the 1989 Classic. We see the Fab 5 get a documentary piece on ESPN even though they didn't win it all. Its more about mistaken perceptions.

There were some other examples given; I can't comment on the 1964 Baltimore Colt loss but the Jets clearly got their just due in the media when the Jets beat the Colts in 1969.

Valuist
03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Speaking of perception, am I the only one who still views Turfway's Spiral Stakes as the Beam, or Jim Beam Stakes? It was the Beam for so long and I know its had other sponsorships (Galleryfurniture.com....remember that one?) for a number of years but in my mind, its still the Beam.

nomadpat
03-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Speaking of perception, am I the only one who still views Turfway's Spiral Stakes as the Beam, or Jim Beam Stakes? It was the Beam for so long and I know its had other sponsorships (Galleryfurniture.com....remember that one?) for a number of years but in my mind, its still the Beam.

No, you aren't the only one! I am the same way. Besides, it's Kentucky, you would think the sponsor should be a bourbon

OTM Al
03-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I was referring to instances where the defeated team/horse is still perceived by many to have won. I guarantee you there's many uninformed Zenyatta fans who believe she won the 2010 Classic, just like Easy Goer fans who must think that the Belmont was the only race that counted and he didn't lose the 1989 Classic. We see the Fab 5 get a documentary piece on ESPN even though they didn't win it all. Its more about mistaken perceptions.

There were some other examples given; I can't comment on the 1964 Baltimore Colt loss but the Jets clearly got their just due in the media when the Jets beat the Colts in 1969.

The Zenyatta one is a good example for that then as all you have to do is look at the Eclipse award winning photo that even makes it look like she won. I wouldn't say that about the Fab 5 however as that was such a unique occurance and was in many ways a bigger story than who won in the end. One would have to believe had that team stayed together for 4 years, they would have gotten at least one. The Pats were also a remarkable story even though they lost the Super Bowl. Had that been a seven game series though and the Giants still won and the talk was still the same, then perhaps I would agree on that one as well. Single games can go the "wrong" way much more easily.

Here's one then, how about Brett Favre? He has the same number of SB wins as Trent Dilfer and Doug Williams, just to name two, but look at the rep he has in this regard.

GaryG
03-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Speaking of perception, am I the only one who still views Turfway's Spiral Stakes as the Beam, or Jim Beam Stakes? It was the Beam for so long and I know its had other sponsorships (Galleryfurniture.com....remember that one?) for a number of years but in my mind, its still the Beam.You are not the only one....it is still Latonia to me and the Franklin track is Dueling Grounds. As far as the EG/SS thing, this is a good example of the "New Yorker's view of the world."

tribecaagent
03-25-2011, 03:54 PM
After seeing the ESPN documentary on Michigans "Fab 5", one must remember that they did NOT win the NCAA championship....yet they, and not Duke had a documentary done about them. This brought to mind a number of runnerups, who for some reason or another, were mistakenly viewed as superior by much of the public:

a) Michigan's Fab 5--they allegedly didn't even invent the baggy pants
b) Easy Goer's BC Classic--to listen to New Yorkers, Sunday Silence never beat him....in the Derby, Preakness or BC Classic
c) Zenyatta's BC Classic---you lose a photo finish to a horse who has accomplished more than you so you win Horse of the Year? WTF???
d) 2007-2008 New England Patriots
e) 1982-1983 Houston "Phi Slamma Jamma"---die hard chalk players still are in denial

I'm sure there's more that I have forgotten or missed. But these were all darlings of the public and media.

This isn't even close. Easy Goer was the most overhyped.....and I'm a New Yorker.

PhantomOnTour
03-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Sugar Ray Leonard:

I STILL say Hagler won the fight and he was better.

Pace Cap'n
03-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Dewey. Hands down.

dav4463
03-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Larry Bird at Indiana State. He did eventually live up to the hype though!

Another is the 75 Red Sox. The only highlight you ever see if Fisk waving the homerun to stay fair........then later...by the way, the Reds won the series!

Valuist
03-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Larry Bird at Indiana State. He did eventually live up to the hype though!

Another is the 75 Red Sox. The only highlight you ever see if Fisk waving the homerun to stay fair........then later...by the way, the Reds won the series!

I can see the point regarding the 75 Red Sox because you do see the Fisk home run played more than George Foster throwing out the potential tying run at the plate (hardly EVER see that one) but we all know ESPN has their biases, and they didn't involve the Reds.

Disagree on the Bird Indy State team because they lost to Magic Johnson's Mich State team. As great a player as Bird was, Magic was the best college player I've seen since I've been watching (since mid 70s) and I think quite a few people would agree with that.

eastie
03-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Sugar Ray Leonard:

I STILL say Hagler won the fight and he was better.

the beating Hagler took while beating up the "Beast" in his previous fight was the only reason Leonard fought him. I don't know what fight those judges were watching , but Hagler clearly won the fight. Leonard was smart though, smart enough no to get in the ring with him till he was ripe. If Leonard had been Mugabi, he would have been knocked cold in 3 rounds.

eastie
03-27-2011, 09:41 AM
I can see the point regarding the 75 Red Sox because you do see the Fisk home run played more than George Foster throwing out the potential tying run at the plate (hardly EVER see that one) but we all know ESPN has their biases, and they didn't involve the Reds.

Disagree on the Bird Indy State team because they lost to Magic Johnson's Mich State team. As great a player as Bird was, Magic was the best college player I've seen since I've been watching (since mid 70s) and I think quite a few people would agree with that.

the Carbo homer was the key...everyone was half asleep for the fisk one.

ElKabong
03-27-2011, 10:59 PM
re: 75 world series...maybe it's b/c watching fisk's HR was far more dramatic than the bloop single than won game 7.

and yes, the fab were the most overrated and over hyped.

others...

ncaa football
2004 OU
2005 USC
1992 Miami
1987 Miami
1969 Ohio State
2002 Miami

MLB
1988 A's

NFL
1969 Vikings

NHL
Whatever year the Stars were dumped by 8th seeded SJ Sharks

NBA
Shaq and Penny's Orlando teams. Every one of them

Olympics
The goofball US downhill skier that can't think straight, but gets huge endorsements & can't win gold.

dav4463
03-31-2011, 12:16 AM
Dallas Mavericks....every year! They tease their fans every single year into thinking "this is the team that will win it all"....never happens!

As a Spurs fan, hopefully it won't happen this year either.

Johnny V
03-31-2011, 09:14 AM
the beating Hagler took while beating up the "Beast" in his previous fight was the only reason Leonard fought him. I don't know what fight those judges were watching , but Hagler clearly won the fight. Leonard was smart though, smart enough no to get in the ring with him till he was ripe. If Leonard had been Mugabi, he would have been knocked cold in 3 rounds.
I agree that Hagler was robbed in that fight. I don't know how true this is but someone that supposedly knew Hagler's trainers well once told me that Leonard's people offered Hagler $50,000 to go with 12 rounds instead of 15 rounds and another $50,000 to go from 8oz. gloves to 10 oz. gloves and Hagler took the money on both. If that is true: big mistake. Over 15 rounds and with regular gloves this would not have ever been a controversy.

eastie
03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
At least the Mongoose knew when to retire. Even though it was Mugabi who did it to him, not being able to knock out Ray Leonard at 160....time to hang up the gloves.

for real fight fans..if you want to see how good Duran was, watch 3 of his fights. When he won the championship from Buchanan, his dismantling and beating of Carlos Palomino, the best counter puncher of his era, and then winning the title from Leonard in Montreal. I bet that Pacman has watched a lot of Duran fights