PDA

View Full Version : Cutbacks at TVG?

Southieboy
03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Sources said multiple on-air talent have been let go.

toussaud
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
http://cdn.theurbandaily.com/files/2010/09/michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

Stillriledup
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Ut oh!

JimG
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't watch TVG any longer but it always seemed to me that had too many people on-air at the same time.

Jim

jelly
03-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Who will leave California first TVG or HRTV?

It would be much cheaper to work out of Florida or Kentucky.

Cardus
03-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Sources said multiple on-air talent have been let go.

Vic, too?

Southieboy
03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Vic, too?

Vic left on his own terms last Saturday, or so he said.

cj's dad
03-23-2011, 07:52 PM
TVG may have been over-produced but they had it ALL OVER HRTV IMO.

GatetoWire
03-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Any idea who got let go?

Stillriledup
03-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Betfair is on the london stock exchange, so there's probably a way to find out if they got rid of some employees?

I guess a public company has obligations to release information about their company if people want it? (unlike a private company)

GregReinhart
03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Kotulak and Baedeker have both been removed from the TVG host bios page.

Stillriledup
03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Kotulak and Baedeker have both been removed from the TVG host bios page.
OH NO NOT MR B! :(

ronsmac
03-23-2011, 10:19 PM
It's gonna suck if Mr. B is gone. Whenever I need a nap i usually turn to tvg when he's on. I'm going to lose alot of sleep now.

Stillriledup
03-23-2011, 10:36 PM
It's gonna suck if Mr. B is gone. Whenever I need a nap i usually turn to tvg when he's on. I'm going to lose alot of sleep now.

Mr am-B-ien!

nomadpat
03-23-2011, 11:11 PM

Bummer! Now I actually have to look at the toteboard to know who the favorites are. It was so easy to just look at his picks ;)

jelly
03-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Bummer! Now I actually have to look at the toteboard to know who the favorites are. It was so easy to just look at his picks ;)

Yeah,he was pretty predictable.

Southieboy
03-23-2011, 11:50 PM

Is this why Christina was on solo from 12-2 today?

Wickel
03-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Kind of sad to see Chris K go, if that's the case. He brings a lot to TVG with his knowledge of both t-breds and quarters. Strong on-air presence, too. I'd figure they'd cut someone like Rudulph or Carothers before Kotulak.

menifee
03-24-2011, 12:35 AM

I don't know if it is true or not, but it is sad to see people making jokes about people losing their jobs.

v j stauffer
03-24-2011, 12:36 AM
I don't know if it is true or not, but it is sad to see people making jokes about people losing their jobs.

Hear Hear !! :mad:

Stillriledup
03-24-2011, 12:55 AM

Its only sad if the people who are losing their jobs are 'kinda stuck' and really have no way to make a living. These people at TVG are such racing experts, that they can just bet for a living. With the extra time that they now have to study the races, watch tapes and crunch numbers, they should be able to crush the windows and comfortably pay their bills.

usedtolovetvg
03-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Its only sad if the people who are losing their jobs are 'kinda stuck' and really have no way to make a living. These people at TVG are such racing experts, that they can just bet for a living. With the extra time that they now have to study the races, watch tapes and crunch numbers, they should be able to crush the windows and comfortably pay their bills.

That's one of the silliest things I've ever read.

JustRalph
03-24-2011, 01:23 AM
That's one of the silliest things I've ever read.

agreed. Although I smell a sarcasm smiley in the background of the post

usedtolovetvg
03-24-2011, 01:26 AM
agreed. Although I smell a sarcasm smiley in the background of the post

Then it's mean.

Mike_412
03-24-2011, 01:35 AM
A couple of TVG employees have lost their jobs and people are cracking jokes? Seriously? That's rather pathetic even by internet standards.

usedtolovetvg
03-24-2011, 01:49 AM
It's management that's to blame and that's a shame. They had a golden opportunity and they blew it.

Edward DeVere
03-24-2011, 01:54 AM

Tune in to the kid doing the Gulfstream replays show on HRTV. He'll knock you right back out.

Kevroc
03-24-2011, 01:58 AM
As long as Michelle Yu is still around.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/kevroc/gifs/gallery_22_18_31893.jpg

jamey1977
03-24-2011, 02:19 AM
If those morons fired him. I'll never watch them again. Those idiots never show California racing. And all I do is lose at that damn Aqueduct. That damn long stretch. Aqueduct is a nightmare and they are a nightmare. So Long. T.V.G

JBmadera
03-24-2011, 02:48 AM
I always hate it when folks are laid off. Especially going to miss Vic and Chris. Vic is a real straight shooter and Chris gave 100%+ even when the only thing he had to work with was Buffalo harness.

v j stauffer
03-24-2011, 03:16 AM
I always hate it when folks are laid off. Especially going to miss Vic and Chris. Vic is a real straight shooter and Chris gave 100%+ even when the only thing he had to work with was Buffalo harness.

I wasn't laid off. I was only a freelancer. After my shift Saturday I informed TVG I intended to explore other business opportunities. Lot's of great, talented, hardworking people at TVG. I'll miss working with them. It was truly my pleasure.

JBmadera
03-24-2011, 03:18 AM
I wasn't laid off. I was only a freelancer. After my shift Saturday I informed TVG I intended to explore other business opportunities.

Best of luck Vic!

Marshall Bennett
03-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Hope we didn't lose Rich Perloff. Wonder if they canned Nancy Ury?

MaTH716
03-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Kind of sad to see Chris K go, if that's the case. He brings a lot to TVG with his knowledge of both t-breds and quarters. Strong on-air presence, too. I'd figure they'd cut someone like Rudulph or Carothers before Kotulak.
I couldn't disagree more about Kotulak. He does absolutely nothing for me. At least guys like Shrupp and Rudolph can make you laugh on occasion. Do you honestly think that Kotulak has more on air presence than Carothers? I don't even think it's close.

If those morons fired him. I'll never watch them again. Those idiots never show California racing. And all I do is lose at that damn Aqueduct. That damn long stretch. Aqueduct is a nightmare and they are a nightmare. So Long. T.V.G
I guess Hollywood, Del Mar and even the Fairplex doesn't count.

I wasn't laid off. I was only a freelancer. After my shift Saturday I informed TVG I intended to explore other business opportunities. Lot's of great, talented, hardworking people at TVG. I'll miss working with them. It was truly my pleasure.
Interesting Vic. You resign from TVG the same time Gomez breaks away from Anderson. Hmmmmm.....interesting.................Going back into the agent buisness?

Just kidding, Good Luck in the future for whatever you decide to do.

The Hawk
03-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Tune in to the kid doing the Gulfstream replays show on HRTV. He'll knock you right back out.

Who are you talking about?

Shelby
03-24-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm shocked that they would get rid of Chris K. and Bob B. Granted, Bob is a bit older and more reserved, but he has a following. Michelle Yu isn't listed, either. http://www.tvg.com/Open/TVGNetwork/TVGHosts.aspx

I love watching Rich. I like that he gives reasons for every horse that he picks.

davefulche
03-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Mr. B I could tolerate, he came from the old school and I did like how he at least gave reasons on his selections...which many times helped me go elsewhere. Chris Kotulak I honestly thought had no business on TVG. To me he falls into that category of horse racing people that I really don't think are knowledgable about wagering and I never even got a chuckle out of him being a host.

Canarsie
03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
A few comments.

To me it's never appropriate to joke about a person losing their job unless they said or did something that was totally out of bounds.

When TVG opened their northern California office and said it would be expanded the writing was on the wall.

Do you think they will be successful with their bid for Monmouth? :ThmbDown:

My hunch is those let go had the least amount of talent (their opinion) tickets played or people they know giving action. It's the only fathomable reason they would keep certain people who I can't even watch.

Since Betfair took over I think they tried to inject British humor into the broadcasts and it failed miserably IMO.

Even with exchange wagering Stronach has more dates than ever and wants them all. Since they need the tracks approval to start it there's not a chance in hell of this happening. They would only have it for Hollywierd, Pomona, and Delmar as of this moment.

Could it be that the DRF wagering platform really cut into their business? I live in Jersey can't use it but would sign up in a minute just to ge the PP's.

If a competitor gets the Monmouth lease can they dissolve the exclusive TVG has right now?

Has wagering fees finally caught up with them?

I wonder if they sold it right now what it would go for?

horses4courses
03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Since Betfair took over I think they tried to inject British humor into the broadcasts and it failed miserably IMO.

Any examples of this?

I shook my head when Betfair entered the market here. They have one ultimate goal in the US, and that is to get exchange wagering legalized (including sports).
Racing is merely the most convenient way to get their foot in the door.
Their patience, and expenditure, will wear thin. Not a good situation for anyone employed by them in this country, imo.

BlueShoe
03-24-2011, 01:17 PM
A quick check of the TVG host page a couple of minutes ago has several more missing faces besides the ones mentioned above. No Sarge, no Frank L. or Frank M., and the only woman shown is Christina.

picojim
03-24-2011, 02:12 PM
heres the host page from march 18th
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:f7u8IFhSrzcJ:www.tvg.com/Open/TVGNetwork/TVGHosts.aspx+tvg+hosts&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Canarsie
03-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Any examples of this?

I shook my head when Betfair entered the market here. They have one ultimate goal in the US, and that is to get exchange wagering legalized (including sports).
Racing is merely the most convenient way to get their foot in the door.
Their patience, and expenditure, will wear thin. Not a good situation for anyone employed by them in this country, imo.

Really my opinion but the giraffe comes to mind. Just some really amateurish stuff that doesn't stick in my head because it usually gets turned off at that point.

olddaddy
03-24-2011, 03:08 PM
None of the firings should surprise anyone. Not being able to show any of the major tracks running have to majorly hurt their ratings.

Southieboy
03-24-2011, 03:14 PM
None of the firings should surprise anyone. Not being able to show any of the major tracks running have to majorly hurt their ratings.
Any when you boycott a sport (harness), nobody is going to want you.

Valuist
03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
A quick check of the TVG host page a couple of minutes ago has several more missing faces besides the ones mentioned above. No Sarge, no Frank L. or Frank M., and the only woman shown is Christina.

I hadn't seen Frank Lyons on the air in months. Thought he quit or was let go long ago.

TommyCh
03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Kotulak was the one -- probably put up to it by management -- who sat in the "newsroom" and ridiculed Rachel Alexandra in a loss the same day Zenyatta had a win. It was disgusting.

Mr. B was chalky, but they also gave him the front end of lousy cards.

Rudulph is not going to get fired and Carothers is connected, but I like them both. Losing Watchmaker on Blinkers Off took out the East Coast wiseguy element and that show is ruined. Carothers is the epitome of the kind of person horse racing is seeking to get but fails at. He knows the horses and conveys the track-going experience as well.

I liked the way Miramadi argued. Losing Frank Lyons is big. He's great.

But as one poster said, business has got to be really bad for them. I'd love to see HRTV on DirectTV, but a lot of posters say they're not much better.

elhelmete
03-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Watching Sky Racing channel (for the week I was working in Australia) spoiled me rotten.

picojim
03-24-2011, 04:22 PM
official

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/baedeker-kotulak-among-20-victims-of-tvg-staff-reduction/

BlueShoe
03-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Not being able to show any of the major tracks running have to majorly hurt their ratings.
Only track aired so far all day has been Aqueduct. Gulfstream, Laurel, Oaklawn, Golden Gate, and Santa Anita all race today. Of six tracks, only one is being shown. Is this any way to run a business??

duncan04
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Only track aired so far all day has been Aqueduct. Gulfstream, Laurel, Oaklawn, Golden Gate, and Santa Anita all race today. Of six tracks, only one is being shown. Is this any way to run a business??

They cant show Laurel, Gulfstream, Santa Anita and Golden Gate since those are Stronach tracks exclusive to HRTV. Oaklawn is also on HRTV. With Tampa not running today they are pretty much just able to show one track. You can bet online all those track thru TVG but they are not contractually able to show those tracks on tv

BlueShoe
03-24-2011, 05:12 PM
They cant show Laurel, Gulfstream, Santa Anita and Golden Gate since those are Stronach tracks exclusive to HRTV. Oaklawn is also on HRTV.
We all are aware of this, that is the point. All segments that have an effect on racing seem to be in conflict with one another; governing bodies, politicians, tracks, horsemens organizations, Adws, broadcasters, and so on. They all usually have only their own self interests that concern them, and sadly for us, regard the players as only a slightly necessary evil.

toussaud
03-24-2011, 06:38 PM
as a fan, i don't want them to show every damn race out there. that's how you got into the situation you are in now.

the previous poster mentioned sky racing. at the races, the Australian channel, every one in the world basically expect us, doesn't have as much racing as we do, and it makes for (much much) better television, instead of briefly coming over 8 races in 20 minutes, i would rather they really dive into 2 or 3 races and leave the others out.

I have not seen one live race at oaklawn yet and it's race 9 and I like HRTV. And fair grounds isn't even running today.

TVG should be fine, with Tampa bay and AQU running. Or with Hawthorne and AQU running right now. Frankley that's 2 full cards, that's more than enough racing to show on a daily basis for the day time tracks.

Marshall Bennett
03-24-2011, 06:49 PM
With today's economy, I'm not sure it's a matter of which tracks they're covering anymore.

toussaud
03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
With today's economy, I'm not sure it's a matter of which tracks they're covering anymore.
I don't think it is either, but still it's not a good model what they use. while i'm at it, hrtv has been able to stream their online feed for what, a year and a half now. Still no mas at TVG. I couldn't lvie without the online feed via hrtv, especially with my phone I have I can watch it while at the track and not have to stand in front of all the degenerates in front of the TV's lol. But lke if i'm not at home or if someone is at home with me and wants to watch TV, it comes in handy.

I have a question and I don't want to start a new thread for it so I will ask here. When does turf racing start around the country like at golden gate / laurel / aqueduct? chomping at the bit for some good turf racing.

jelly
03-24-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't think it is either, but still it's not a good model what they use. while i'm at it, hrtv has been able to stream their online feed for what, a year and a half now. Still no mas at TVG. I couldn't lvie without the online feed via hrtv, especially with my phone I have I can watch it while at the track and not have to stand in front of all the degenerates in front of the TV's lol. But lke if i'm not at home or if someone is at home with me and wants to watch TV, it comes in handy.

I have a question and I don't want to start a new thread for it so I will ask here. When does turf racing start around the country like at golden gate / laurel / aqueduct? chomping at the bit for some good turf racing.

Don't know,but right now between Gulf.and Tampa I get plenty of turf action.

Stillriledup
03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Stronach is costing himself a ton of handle by not letting his tracks go onto TVG.

If you have DirecTv you don't get HRTV to my knowledge, so people arent getting to see those races anyway, letting TVG show SA is not going to hurt HRTV one bit because the people who have HRTV are going to watch HRTV and the people who don't have it, arent going to watch it anyway.

It just doesnt make any sense that a track owner would NOT permit a television channel that's in millions of homes to show their races, that makes zero sense to me.

If it makes sense to you, please explain it to me.

statepierback
03-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more cuts in the future. The business model was fine in the beginning. Still even when TVG was owned by their previous owners it was not a profitable operation. Once the doors were opened up for competitors customers like me left for the better deals out there. TVG nickels and dimes players to death! Betfair only wants TVG as a foot hold to another market. Its smart for them to restructure. Sadly people are adversely effected by this. Hopefully they will land on their feet in due time.

Southieboy
03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Laurel would have been next week, but those dates were transferred to Pimlico. Aqueduct should begin Grass Racing by the 13th.

Shemp Howard
03-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Don't know,but right now between Gulf.and Tampa I get plenty of turf action.

The new Aqu condition book is out. Turf racing scheduled to begin in 2 weeks. Of course, it will be in the 20's every night for the next 5 days.:(

ronsmac
03-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Mr. B has his tout sheet, so he's still got income coming in.

mannyberrios
03-24-2011, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more cuts in the future. The business model was fine in the beginning. Still even when TVG was owned by their previous owners it was not a profitable operation. Once the doors were opened up for competitors customers like me left for the better deals out there. TVG nickels and dimes players to death! Betfair only wants TVG as a foot hold to another market. Its smart for them to restructure. Sadly people are adversely effected by this. Hopefully they will land on their feet in due time.This is the post of the year!

JustRalph
03-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I noticed they mentioned "off camera" types being let go. That usually means they automated the camera's in the studio etc. Lots of that going around today.

Southieboy
03-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Explain the meaning of automating.

toussaud
03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Stronach is costing himself a ton of handle by not letting his tracks go onto TVG.

If you have DirecTv you don't get HRTV to my knowledge, so people arent getting to see those races anyway, letting TVG show SA is not going to hurt HRTV one bit because the people who have HRTV are going to watch HRTV and the people who don't have it, arent going to watch it anyway.

It just doesnt make any sense that a track owner would NOT permit a television channel that's in millions of homes to show their races, that makes zero sense to me.

If it makes sense to you, please explain it to me.
BECAUSE of the ADW. I see their point. not many people (besides me lol") are going to be watching TVG and playing through expressbet ot twinspires.

I have no problem with that. both would go a long way to actually work together (like ESPN and TNT do for the NBA) instead of against each other, share the damn tracks. let TVG show oaklawn and some other tracks that hrtv really doesn't have the time to show. it would make horse racing a better product overall

JustRalph
03-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Explain the meaning of automating.

here is an example:

ys2C00ukgCQ

Internet Broadcasters are automating everything....... and these same devices are in automated Studios everywhere now. It takes very few people to broadcast with these tools......... if you are really interested watch the video
below
http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=33

duncan04
03-25-2011, 12:43 AM
BECAUSE of the ADW. I see their point. not many people (besides me lol") are going to be watching TVG and playing through expressbet ot twinspires.I have no problem with that. both would go a long way to actually work together (like ESPN and TNT do for the NBA) instead of against each other, share the damn tracks. let TVG show oaklawn and some other tracks that hrtv really doesn't have the time to show. it would make horse racing a better product overall

I do that. I go thru Twinspires and have TVG on in the background. The HRTV hosts are so monotone that it makes me :sleeping: lol

Stillriledup
03-25-2011, 01:14 AM
BECAUSE of the ADW. I see their point. not many people (besides me lol") are going to be watching TVG and playing through expressbet ot twinspires.

I have no problem with that. both would go a long way to actually work together (like ESPN and TNT do for the NBA) instead of against each other, share the damn tracks. let TVG show oaklawn and some other tracks that hrtv really doesn't have the time to show. it would make horse racing a better product overall

Lets say you have a TVG account but you don't have TVG and you have HRTV. You're going to be watching HRTV and betting thru your TVG account, you're not going to get an HRTV account because you don't need one. You're just going to bet with the account that you already have.

I just think that for every person who would actually sign up and bet with HRTV/XP, there's 9 other people who are already signed up and happy with whoever they have. A lot of those people would play Stronach tracks if they were featured on TVG.

I see what youre' saying, i just don't know if leaving all the betting handle on the table by not showing their races on TVG is worth what they're getting in return.

The 100k+ early pick 4 pools at Los Al is a completely manufactured TVG thing, which goes to show how powerful TVG is and how people want to bet the races that are shown on their channel.

toussaud
03-25-2011, 02:51 AM
Lets say you have a TVG account but you don't have TVG and you have HRTV. You're going to be watching HRTV and betting thru your TVG account, you're not going to get an HRTV account because you don't need one. You're just going to bet with the account that you already have.

I just think that for every person who would actually sign up and bet with HRTV/XP, there's 9 other people who are already signed up and happy with whoever they have. A lot of those people would play Stronach tracks if they were featured on TVG.

I see what youre' saying, i just don't know if leaving all the betting handle on the table by not showing their races on TVG is worth what they're getting in return.

The 100k+ early pick 4 pools at Los Al is a completely manufactured TVG thing, which goes to show how powerful TVG is and how people want to bet the races that are shown on their channel.
I respect your point of view. Here is food for thought however

Fair Grounds
Gulfstream Park
Oaklawn

3 tracks, that are HRTV exclusive, all three tracks are having outstanding years, fair grounds has raised purses 3 times this meet.

On the other hand, the meadowlands was TVG's big thing forever, and pretty much was what TVG was there to do at night and they are virtually out of business.

What I am getting at is, you can throw santa anita out as a poor performing HRTV track, I can throw Hollywood park out as a poor performing TVG track. You can throw Los Al out as a good track on TVG, I can throw out gulftream park as a HRTV track. I don't think that this has very much to do with why tracks fail and succeed. There is a finate amount of wagering dollars out there, and the people who are wagering, will find the track come hell or high water.

But if there were not exclusive contracts at ALL, i would have no reason to go get TVG or TVG people would have NO reason to get HRTV. The ONLY reason I watch TVG and I mean the ONLY reason is to watch hollywoo dpark on Friday nights and for del mar. that's it. If i could get those on HRTV, i would not know that TVG exists lol. Keeneland's track feed is so crystal clear I don't even bother with TVG. If the end game for TVG is to attempt to sale me on their wagering platform and all the benefits, I have to at least be tuned into TVG for that to happen. They might sale me (they won't, at least until betfair comes) they might not, but getting me watching, is half the battle. You can probably say the same for santa anita or churchill downs in reverse.

But half the game is getting them to sign up, then the other half is getting them to spend money when you sign up. They,by floating from track to track, dont' really sale you on the race. I'm not talking about hardcore handicappers, I can watch a track feed and be done with it if I want to play arace bad enough, but if I am a causal guy, and I decide I want to have some fun, and I put 200 dollars in my account.. you have to SALE me on the idea of wagering on each race. not, sale me i nthe sense, of 'hey look at me 200 dollar pick 3 ticket, oh man sweet value", but, each race, is a battle to get money out of my pocket, you have to dive deep in the race, and come up with reasons, for the bettor, to actually want to spend money on each race, instead all they are, are live replays shows. next thing you know, the bettor has let 4 hours gone by and really hasn't dabbled into anything. You would be much better cutting that down to 2 no more than 3 tracks, and go into depth as to why you should wager on this race, this is a nice angle we can make some money on, etc.

CAse in point, i'm sure everyone here, has at some point, on a monday or Tuesday watched HRTV or TVG, more than likely TVG becuase they actually have live air people on show, and you are just watching, or at least I do, I actually enjoy just watching horse racing from time to time, and you let the guy in the handicapsule, get you to relook at a race that you had passed over because he brought up an interesting angle or something along those lines. Or on a weekniight you are looking at TVG (cough michelle yu cough) and i never plan on actually playing mountineer park, but you see something or hear something and you break out the form or you look at a race that you would not have otherwise looked at. Each race is a sale, with the objective to TRY to get money out of my pocket. They don't view it like that. I dont' give a damn how many live races you can show truth be told. That's not goin to effect the bottom line at all. it might piss some off, but if you are that concerned about it watch it on your ADW.

TVG was built for the casual viewer, the person, who, doesn't put in hours a day, who doesn't do this everyday, the only way you can get that person to actually jump right in and start spending money is to sale races on each races merit. That is not done in the least bit. And in turn, these same people will sign up with your ADW. But, what is the point of taking advantage of their 200 dollar promotion when i can't find anything I want to spend money on? That's like getting a gift card to JC Penny's lol, what the hell do I want from JC penny's I can only buy so many pair of socks.

passing out picks, without diving into a race is like being served a steak with no seasoning and steak sauce.

Alc
03-25-2011, 06:51 AM
The answer to TVG profitability should be obvious. Following California's takeout lead, simply raise the per wager fee from 25 cents to $1.00 or $1.50.

Canarsie
03-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Apologies if this was posted before as it's pretty old but may be the reason for exclusive tracks. If this is true there's the reason they didn't show Belmont one day in the fall trying to show them who's the boss. If TVG gets revenue from exclusives my guess it's the same for HRTV. What's really needed is for one to buy the other and keep 2 channels.

http://leftatthegate.blogspot.com/2007/02/tvg-spinning-out-of-control.html

andicap
03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Its possible some hosts were paid more than others. In many industries the highest salaried employees are laid off first.

The disadvantage of Betfair vs. News Corp. is that Murdoch and his partners could absorb what for them were relatively minor losses. If you're generating billions of income on all of your businesses, the loss of a few million dollars is pretty much petty cash.

But Betfair just went public and even though it is a multi-national corp, it is nowhere near the size of News Corp. so it can not as readily absorb losses in one of their businesses. Especially right after an IPO.

From my experience living in England, Betfair was a very well-run company with excellent customer service and a good product. But yes, its agenda is different than the former owners.

eastie
03-25-2011, 10:35 AM
i kinda think that the on air people that were let go was because they were terrible. I'm sure Mr. B is a peach in person and wish him all the best, but spending $24 to hit a $30 pick 3 is too brutal to watch every day. Chris was just a ball buster who really should have been gone long ago. A quarter a bet is insane, i don't bet there anymore. The mute button is generally in play too.

turfnsport
03-25-2011, 10:41 AM
i kinda think that the on air people that were let go was because they were terrible. I'm sure Mr. B is a peach in person and wish him all the best, but spending $24 to hit a $30 pick 3 is too brutal to watch every day. Chris was just a ball buster who really should have been gone long ago. A quarter a bet is insane, i don't bet there anymore. The mute button is generally in play too.

I doubt Mr. B was let go because he "picks chalk" or because him and Chris were "the worst" or "highest paid."

It could simply be their contracts were up or close to ending, making the cuts by Betfair more cost effective.

Marshall Bennett
03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Bob's hit a couple pick 6's over the years that paid huge. He's done well in the past with other wagers including the pick 4. Though he may have been in a slump of late (happens to the best) I doubt they'd can him over it.

statepierback
03-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I doubt Mr. B was let go because he "picks chalk" or because him and Chris were "the worst" or "highest paid."

It could simply be their contracts were up or close to ending, making the cuts by Betfair more cost effective.
If it was the highest paid then Simon Bray would be out. Matt also. I think they just chose those who's duties could be replaced with the other talent they have.

GaryG
03-25-2011, 12:23 PM
They cater to the $2 betting beer drinkers and other casual fans that want ready made picks. I am surprised that any serious player would even watch TVG.

Light
03-25-2011, 12:33 PM
This sport is struggling and TVG acts oblivious to it.That's their problem.

You don't put a bunch of loser handicappers on air plugging away their losing pk4's day in and day out. And you don't tell people to bet with you when you charge $20 a month in fees when every other ADW in the country is free. I mean who is the moron who runs this outfit? He is the one who needs to be fired.

duncan04
03-25-2011, 12:53 PM
If it was the highest paid then Simon Bray would be out. Matt also. I think they just chose those who's duties could be replaced with the other talent they have.

Don't think they would get rid of the talent that makes people talk good or bad. When people talk thats how you know they are paying attention

toussaud
03-25-2011, 01:07 PM
pretty sure they fired mr b becuase hew as the most unwatchable guy on the whole network.

DALLIEDOG
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Since March 2 MR. B had played $ 752.00 in pick 4's and hot two for a grand total of $ 32.30 and on a few days he had pick 4's at 4 tracks -------outta here

TommyCh
03-25-2011, 01:58 PM
I give them credit for showing their results, but Carothers and Watchmaker on Blinkers Off were terrible handicappers. I don't think I ever saw them finish ahead and in 2010 and the first part of this year, they were brutal. They always seemed to be trying to be wiseguys. My gut feeling was that if Carothers really shouted about a horse and provided some ammo, sometimes he'd hit. Watchmaker had become a play-against to me. For what all this is worth, which is nothing.

TVG's fees are a deal-breaker. And they do the game no favors by only dealing with multi-race wagers on the air. They're not helping newbies or veterans by not showing how to assemble a good Tri or Exacta.

But at least Rudulph still has Giacomo to haul out . . . :D

OTM Al
03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Clearly Mr. B. did not come across as the most dynamic television personality, but I always liked him and I'd bet he's a much better handicapper than what he was able to show on TVG and probably better than the vast majority of people posting here. That's because TVG is not about handicapping, a point way too many people don't get.

I'll always like Mr. B. especially after they got him to tell a story about when he was seving in Viet Nam. He got a week's leave, but instead of going to some local R&R spot, the guy hopped whatever transports he could get on just to make it to opening day at Del Mar before having to go right back. That's a horse player ladies and gents.

I hope now he can enjoy a retirement with his kids and grandkids, which I'm sure he will, which counts for a lot more than trying to hit P4s on tickets I'm sure he'd never play in real life because that's what his job was.

Marshall Bennett
03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
If anyone took the time to read the bios of these folks at TVG they would see most of them have spent nearly their entire life in the game. Unless they were either stupid or terribly unlucky, it would be hard to imagine many here having logged more hours handicapping, spent more time covering the sport, and faired better with their ROI.
They are paid to pick horses for the tracks they cover when on air regardless of what opinion they have of the track or particular races. Wonder how many of us here wager on tracks we don't like or races we could care less about. For instance, the tracks Rich Perloff wagers on during his Mondays & Tuesdays I wouldn't wager on in a million years. Perhaps that's just me, point is, I pick and choose, they can't.
Try it day in and day out for a year and check your own ROI. Bet it will be as bad and probably worse.

toussaud
03-25-2011, 03:32 PM
If anyone took the time to read the bios of these folks at TVG they would see most of them have spent nearly their entire life in the game. Unless they were either stupid or terribly unlucky, it would be hard to imagine many here having logged more hours handicapping, spent more time covering the sport, and faired better with their ROI.
They are paid to pick horses for the tracks they cover when on air regardless of what opinion they have of the track or particular races. Wonder how many of us here wager on tracks we don't like or races we could care less about. For instance, the tracks Rich Perloff wagers on during his Mondays & Tuesdays I wouldn't wager on in a million years. Perhaps that's just me, point is, I pick and choose, they can't.
Try it day in and day out for a year and check your own ROI. Bet it will be as bad and probably worse.
when you are done don't forget to clean up

When your sole job is to get on air, and provide insight into races, those are the merits that you are judged upon, fair or not, that's what it is. I hold them to no higher or lower standard than the guy in the Newspaper or slobbering hank.

Stillriledup
03-25-2011, 03:50 PM
They cater to the $2 betting beer drinkers and other casual fans that want ready made picks. I am surprised that any serious player would even watch TVG.

Serious players will watch, but they won't bet with TVG. They're catering to the 2 dollar bettor because those people don't know any better and will pay the surcharge to wager.

MaTH716
03-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Personally for me, I couldn't care about their ROI's because I'm not playing their tickets. I just want to hear some analysis that I might find useful from a person who comes off entertaining on TV.

owlet
03-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Did they have send Frank M. to check writing school? :kiss:

duncan04
03-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Personally for me, I couldn't care about their ROI's because I'm not playing their tickets. I just want to hear some analysis that I might find useful from a person who comes off entertaining on TV.

Right on. I like it because they can be entertaining and like to hear others views.

olddaddy
03-25-2011, 04:34 PM
I use TVG when they are the only ones that take Japan bets. Otherwise that quarter a wager is ridiculous. I did enjoy Frank M. when he was on, it appeared he wasn't making paper bets which the others appeared to do.

toussaud
03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Frank Defiantly wasn't a paper bettor I think we got the proof of that

olddaddy
03-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I do remember him storming off the set when some guy teased him about being all in on a race where his horse lost.

Beachbabe
03-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Clearly Mr. B. did not come across as the most dynamic television personality, but I always liked him and I'd bet he's a much better handicapper than what he was able to show on TVG and probably better than the vast majority of people posting here. That's because TVG is not about handicapping, a point way too many people don't get.

I'll always like Mr. B. especially after they got him to tell a story about when he was seving in Viet Nam. He got a week's leave, but instead of going to some local R&R spot, the guy hopped whatever transports he could get on just to make it to opening day at Del Mar before having to go right back. That's a horse player ladies and gents.

I hope now he can enjoy a retirement with his kids and grandkids, which I'm sure he will, which counts for a lot more than trying to hit P4s on tickets I'm sure he'd never play in real life because that's what his job was.

True, true. I hardly watch TVG anymore since I don't care for the tracks they televise, but when I did, I enjoyed Mr B. At least his personality wasn't abrasive as some of the others, nor was he completely clueless about handicapping....again as some of the others.
As a handicapper myself, I never took their analyses as anything I could use.

I'm sure Mr B will enjoy many hours of golf, now.

jamey1977
03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
True, true. I hardly watch TVG anymore since I don't care for the tracks they televise, but when I did, I enjoyed Mr B. At least his personality wasn't abrasive as some of the others, nor was he completely clueless about handicapping....again as some of the others.
As a handicapper myself, I never took their analyses as anything I could use.

I'm sure Mr B will enjoy many hours of golf, now.
On to bigger and better things. Bob was Great His voice was the only one with sense and reason. All of the others just annoy me. They do not show any tracks. Charles Town Sucks. Those small tracks, no one can trust them. I suggest to T.V.G if you want more ratings. Get some better tracks, And we don't need cheerleaders telling us to bet everything with medium and long- shots. No one ever was for betting chalk. Well. T.V.G - Chalk wins 36 to 41 percent of the races. No wonder everyone is broke.You and your lousy longshot picks made everyone broke. No wonder no one watches.

Relwob Owner
03-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Clearly Mr. B. did not come across as the most dynamic television personality, but I always liked him and I'd bet he's a much better handicapper than what he was able to show on TVG and probably better than the vast majority of people posting here.

I watch TVG quite a bit and am curious-what gives you the sense that he was better than he was able to show on TVG?....do you think something about being on there was holding him back in some way? Handicapping wise, he picked a ton of favorites and never seemed to add any sort of unique insight.

I can't say I disliked him but dont think he added all that much to most broadcasts.

Stillriledup
03-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Pretty much what it comes down to is that if you are in the ADW business (like TVG is) than you better hope that the person who owns tons of tracks is also not in the ADW business. If they ARE in the ADW business, you might have trouble showing races.

TVG should get out of the ADW business and start pimping expressbet, that way, they might be able to show the races from Santa Anita, GG and Gulf among others.

toussaud
03-25-2011, 10:18 PM
whoever said the 2 networks should merge, I don't think that person was far off. I give it 5-7 years. It just makes too much sense.

Stillriledup
03-25-2011, 10:23 PM
whoever said the 2 networks should merge, I don't think that person was far off. I give it 5-7 years. It just makes too much sense.

TVG is probably going to go out of business at some point, you can't survive if Dover Downs is one of your feature (and only) tracks.

BombsAway Bob
03-26-2011, 02:07 AM

BRAVO! i couldn't agree more! Perhaps some don't know, but Mr.B learned handicapping from his dad, who sold a tout sheet in California. Winners were all that counted in the early days at tracks, since there was no Trifectas or Pick-4s to play. Mr.B also kept 60% of his TVG Pick-4 tickets under $40, & never denied the fact he leaned heavily on favorites. It's in his D.N.A.
Personally, i think TVG could have used him more effectively having him co-host with Gary Seibel in the 7PM-10PM slot. More novice bettors might learn basic handicapping from him at that hour, rather then his regular Noon-3PM/ET slot w/Greg Wolf, when only hardcore horseplayers were watching.

Stillriledup
03-26-2011, 02:49 AM
BRAVO! i couldn't agree more! Perhaps some don't know, but Mr.B learned handicapping from his dad, who sold a tout sheet in California. Winners were all that counted in the early days at tracks, since there was no Trifectas or Pick-4s to play. Mr.B also kept 60% of his TVG Pick-4 tickets under $40, & never denied the fact he leaned heavily on favorites. It's in his D.N.A.
Personally, i think TVG could have used him more effectively having him co-host with Gary Seibel in the 7PM-10PM slot. More novice bettors might learn basic handicapping from him at that hour, rather then his regular Noon-3PM/ET slot w/Greg Wolf, when only hardcore horseplayers were watching.

Having favorites in your DNA means that you dont really have much of an opinion on the game. Anybody's 5 year old sister can identify the favorite.

Canarsie
03-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Having favorites in your DNA means that you dont really have much of an opinion on the game. Anybody's 5 year old sister can identify the favorite.

Bravo!!!

To me they are still morons who don't have a clue. If your going to pick a favorite tell your audience to place a win bet. Their hitting at over 40% at the Big A lots will cash. It's all about churn but these dummies need a lesson on how to do it.

If a newbie bets a $48 P4 ticket from one of those clowns (save a few) the odds are 98% that they won't cash. If they bet $50 to win on a 6/5 shot they now have $110 that they might wager or even more because they feel good. Plus they might hang around a little bit longer.

The cuts should have started with management especially the guy who decided to show Delaware last year instead of Belmont. :bang:

judd
03-26-2011, 10:30 AM
what kind of money do you think they were paid (announcers)

llegend39
03-26-2011, 11:06 AM
what kind of money do you think they were paid (announcers)

From a past posting on the TVG Community site:

Re: TVG On-Air Talent... Paid What?

Todd, Ken and Matt all make at least $250K per year.

I say at least because that's what their salary was 3 years ago and they also get big expense allowances for going on trips and traveling to on location shows.

I know Kotulak must be making about the same because for some reason TVG wanted him when they got him. I don't know how that happened as he was tossed from every announcing job he had. I think they know they made a mistake.

A guy like Frank M. made basically $300 a show when he was freelancing but now that he's a regular, I don't know. Obviously he's probably now on salary

Dont know how true it is?

SimRick
03-26-2011, 02:13 PM

I use racing as entertainment. I work a lot and on Fridays I work about 12 or 13 hours, get home around 9, have dinner with my wife and then turn on TVG about 10 or so. I want to relax and be entertained and part of that is making my own picks from the racing form. They always have racing on late on weekends and their weekend hosts - including Chris Kotulak - are enjoyable. I never use their picks because then it's only about the money when the real fun is in the handicapping. I don't bet much, usually $50 or so per weekend, and I just about broken even since 2005 when I funded my account. Bring on more DDoubles at HP, stakes races at LA and Remington, good drivers at Meadowlands - when it stops being about fun I hope I have the sense to stop.

Rick

Lasix67
03-26-2011, 02:35 PM
I use racing as entertainment. I work a lot and on Fridays I work about 12 or 13 hours, get home around 9, have dinner with my wife and then turn on TVG about 10 or so. I want to relax and be entertained and part of that is making my own picks from the racing form. They always have racing on late on weekends and their weekend hosts - including Chris Kotulak - are enjoyable. I never use their picks because then it's only about the money when the real fun is in the handicapping. I don't bet much, usually $50 or so per weekend, and I just about broken even since 2005 when I funded my account. Bring on more DDoubles at HP, stakes races at LA and Remington, good drivers at Meadowlands - when it stops being about fun I hope I have the sense to stop.

Rick

I have to totally agree with your statement....

Edward DeVere
03-26-2011, 11:40 PM
From a past posting on the TVG Community site:

Re: TVG On-Air Talent... Paid What?

Todd, Ken and Matt all make at least $250K per year.

That . . . cannot . . . possibly . . . be . . . true.

Can it???

toussaud
03-26-2011, 11:58 PM
I doubt it. The market value does not make them worth that much. Sports anchors in major markets don't get paid that much but you going to tell me that analyst on a station that doesn't even come on basic cable can pull in 1/4th of a million a year?

I think they aren't missing any meals but that's a lot of money for what they provide. I would think between the 70-110k range makes sense.

Irish Boy
03-27-2011, 12:00 AM
I don't have any evidence one way or another, but that figure sounds way, way, way off.

I think people should have a little bit more respect for the recently unemployed. Chances are you are also just average at doing your job, and nowadays average performance is enough to imperil one's livelihood.

David-LV
03-27-2011, 01:20 AM

Can it???

I hear the going rate is $300 a shift for all and with some hosts working more then one shift a day.

________
David-LV

usedtolovetvg
03-27-2011, 02:00 AM
you guys couldn't be more off. few make 6 figures and those that do, except the hilarious ts barely that. this is not nbc or espn. this is a network in name only. while in over 30 million homes, you can come close to counting the number of viewers by taking off your shoes. look at the ads they run and the promos of which some are almost a decade old. this is not big time tv, not by a long shot. feel for those that lost their jobs. they will suffer greatly and very quickly.

delayjf
03-27-2011, 12:59 PM
TVG should get out of the ADW business and start pimping expressbet, that way, they might be able to show the races from Santa Anita, GG and Gulf among others.

Agree, TVG gets killed in the winter months - they pick it up in the spring summer with Belmont, Hollywood, Saratoga and Delmar. But do you really want to concede your audience to HRTV for 1/3 of the year???

I always saw Chris K role as a horseracing news anchor, not a racing analyst. I give the handicappers on both shows a lot of slack. They have to give opinions on every race they cover every day, I doubt anyone could fair well in that environment.

Track Phantom
03-28-2011, 03:14 AM
I absolutely have pity for the people that lost their job. Never a good thing.

I've watched TVG for years and have always felt it was a terribly produced product. The on-air talent was horribly misused. For example, Matt C is decent when talking about his handicapping ideas and angles but overwhelmed when combing the stands at Del Mar and talking to patrons.

Either way, the absolutely only thing that works with horse racing TV is to spend as much time possible talking about the horses that are going to be running in upcoming races, live trainer discussions, live backside video (paddock, winner circle with trainers/owners), showing as many races live and getting rid of EVERYTHING else. Anything short of that is just fooling themselves. They are NOT an entertainment product and the sooner they realize that the better off they will be.

Southieboy
03-29-2011, 03:09 PM
They dropped Parx (highest handle on most M/T's) after 4 in favor of Blue Ribbon and Fairmount. It seems like they can only handle 1-2 tracks at a time.

duncan04
03-29-2011, 03:22 PM
They dropped Parx (highest handle on most M/T's) after 4 in favor of Blue Ribbon and Fairmount. It seems like they can only handle 1-2 tracks at a time.

Will Rogers, Fairmount and Hawthorne. Basically they dropped Parx for Hawthorne. Would rather see Hawthorne than Parx anyday!!

PhantomOnTour
03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
What's on HRTV today?

duncan04
03-29-2011, 03:27 PM
What's on HRTV today?

replays of rodeos and other crap!! :ThmbDown: :lol:

PhantomOnTour
03-29-2011, 03:29 PM
replays of rodeos and other crap!! :ThmbDown: :lol:
Aha

Southieboy
03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Appears like they ain't going to show $75k stake.

duncan04
03-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Appears like they ain't going to show $75k stake.

On Tuesday its always like that. Parx takes a back seat to Hawthorne and Turf Paradise once those tracks start. Nothing new. Just happens Parx had a stakes today. At least TVG is showing races unlike the other one!!

JustRalph
03-31-2011, 03:06 AM
From a Twitter post/Tweet whatever the hell you call it......

Gary Seibel has been let go after returning from vacation today.

This guy I always thought was a professional broadcaster, and I really used to like watching him, not so much for the horse racing stuff. But he was a "broadcaster"

found this on wiki. If they aren't keeping a guy with this kind of background, who the hell are they keeping ?

from wiki

Gary Seibel grew up a horse-racing fan in New York City. He and his father followed the Thoroughbreds at Belmont and Aqueduct and the Standardbreds at Yonkers and the old Roosevelt Raceway on Long Island. He attended Syracuse University, where he graduated from the prestigious Newhouse School of Public Communications. He then went straight into broadcasting, first at a local cable TV station on the U.S.-Canadian border, then at a radio station in Potsdam, N.Y.

After three years Gary moved south to Pompano Beach, Fla., in search of a warmer climate. At Pompano Park Harness Track he assumed the multiple positions of track announcer, TV host and, finally, track general manager. From there it was on to ESPN, where he hosted harness racing’s Breeders’ Crown series for 15 years. From 1992 to 1999, at CBS, he hosted the network’s Hambletonian coverage. In 1998 CBS also called on him to replace 36-year veteran Chris Schenkel as the voice of the Pro Bowlers Tour. He even contributed to ESPN's thoroughbred racing coverage as well.

He was the television host for Gulfstream Park from 1991-1993. He even hosted the replay show their as well.*[1]

Gary came to TVG at its inception as one of the sport’s acknowledged authorities. With his deep knowledge of Thoroughbred and harness racing, his long experience calling races and his varied communication skills, he is one of TVG’s key on-air personalities.

Southieboy
03-31-2011, 04:17 AM
If they aren't keeping a guy with this kind of background, who the hell are they keeping ?

amateurs and professional idiots.

redshift1
03-31-2011, 04:34 AM
From a Twitter post/Tweet whatever the hell you call it......

Gary Seibel has been let go after returning from vacation today.

Gary came to TVG at its inception as one of the sport’s acknowledged authorities. With his deep knowledge of Thoroughbred and harness racing, his long experience calling races and his varied communication skills, he is one of TVG’s key on-air personalities.

Are you sure he's still on the host page? I believe TVG is removing any name specific posts regarding personnel changes so Its hard to tell.

Gary was the only knowledgeable standardbred guy on TVG. wow

judd
03-31-2011, 05:26 AM

Can it???
yea, i doubt that very much--$250,000 per year --no way

PIC6SIX
03-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Since we are talking DARTS, how many times have you been hit in the head by them????????????????????????????//:)

MartyZee
03-31-2011, 09:14 AM
I agree with Just Ralph that Gary Sibel was very knowledgeable(especially with harness racing-which I don't bet); He's probably better off getting off a sinking ship;I actually like Matt C/ Frank M/ and find Todd S and Ken R to be the worst; I had the misfortune of watching Todd and Simon for about 10 minutes this past Tuesday-hopefully the show is done FOREVER; I was very excited when my cable provider got TVG a few years ago -now I very rarely watch it and will watch it even less as I find Todd S to be the most annoying ; just an opinion

wisconsin
03-31-2011, 10:31 AM
In my opinion, Gary Seibel's talents were wasted. He was made a "host", mostly for thoroughbreds, when he should have been an "analyst" for harness racing.

Todd Schrupp, pretty smart sometimes, always seems to be yelling, or at least, hyper. Annoying schill mostly.

Ken Rudolph, brings nothing to the table, always yelping out some goofy bomb right before the off. Sure, he had Giacamo. That was years ago.

The entire set-up is flawed. You know there is a race going off, and they cut away to show, get this, one of their own commercials.

In the beginning, they had very entertaining banter (can't recall with whom) off camera during night racing, and why that ended is beyond me.

Forego
03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
you guys couldn't be more off. few make 6 figures and those that do, except the hilarious ts barely that. this is not nbc or espn. this is a network in name only. while in over 30 million homes, you can come close to counting the number of viewers by taking off your shoes. look at the ads they run and the promos of which some are almost a decade old. this is not big time tv, not by a long shot. feel for those that lost their jobs. they will suffer greatly and very quickly.

Your post is spot-on. Every word of it. For TVG to call itself a "network" is absurd. CBS is a network. TVG is a satellite tv channel, also available on some cable systems. Same for HRTV. Ratings and sponsorship for both are non-existent. Each one is, and will always be, a money pit. Frankly, I'm shocked that either one still exists.

As for the hosts, they're making about what a sports anchor might make in a market like Jacksonville or Wichita. As you so accurately put it, "this is not big time tv, not by a long shot."

Stillriledup
03-31-2011, 06:01 PM
TVGs biggest problem over the years has been their inability to do what's right for the players. In other words, they're not catering to the players wants and needs, they're catering to their own wants and needs at the expense of their customers. They'll carry and promote tracks with high takeouts and they'll 'egg you on' to wager by having hosts release plays and tickets even if those hosts might not have any clue about the track their recommending. (example: Les Onaka releasing Meadowlands harness racing picks or Nick Hines releasing pick 3's from Turfway)

Now, if Les recommended a play at Los AL or Nick recommended a play at Hollywood, that's ok, but to be giving out plays from tracks they have no clue about, well, that just reeks of a business trying to fleece and dupe their customers. This is what TVG has done wrong over the years and probably the main reason they'll be out of the showing-races-on-tv business pretty soon.

teddy
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
I REMEMBER WHEN Todd gave Gary Stevens hell for jumping ship.. like he was a traitor, I thought that was rediculous and I am pretty sure Todd has the worst Roi of them all. Even the women that he has 20 years handicapping experience on. If any of them show up on HRTV I will be surprised. I dont think Bob B. had much connection to the fans, he was the son of some tip sheet guy and thought that was big do do. I thought he just made himself look like a joke. Chriss is a nice guy and hes probably one of the more intelligent ones there. Frank if he is gone will be back. He was too good at picking horses.

usedtolovetvg
03-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Your post is spot-on. Every word of it. For TVG to call itself a "network" is absurd. CBS is a network. TVG is a satellite tv channel, also available on some cable systems. Same for HRTV. Ratings and sponsorship for both are non-existent. Each one is, and will always be, a money pit. Frankly, I'm shocked that either one still exists.

As for the hosts, they're making about what a sports anchor might make in a market like Jacksonville or Wichita. As you so accurately put it, "this is not big time tv, not by a long shot."

Thank you for that. I'm hoping I sounded like someone who worked there for, oh, nearly 12 years. Look for Betfair to close up the tv side when and if the Exchange takes hold.

kingfin66
03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Thank you for that. I'm hoping I sounded like someone who worked there for, oh, nearly 12 years. Look for Betfair to close up the tv side when and if the Exchange takes hold.

I am very sorry to hear about you and the others being laid off. Twelve years is a long time. Your user ID indicates that it is where you wanted to be. I hope you land on your feet soon and find another job that you enjoy as much as the one you just left.

Forego
03-31-2011, 10:42 PM

I've worked in sports television my whole adult life. From reading your original post, I could tell you knew what you were talking about.

I won't get too deep into my opinions on TVG or HRTV. Let's just say I've always wondered what would happen if there were a real horse racing channel.

I'm sorry about what happened to you. I know how tough it is to find a staff job in this industry. I wish you the best.

JustRalph
04-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Seibel confirms it

http://www.harnessracing.com/news/garyseibelisoutattvg.html

Stillriledup
04-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Interestingly enough, they canned the men who were voices of reason with calm demeanor. I guess Gary, Chris and Bob didnt yell ICE COLD often enough.

Mineshaft
04-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Frank Lyons was on TVG last week so was he laid off or not?

JimG
04-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Frank Lyons was on TVG last week so was he laid off or not?

Good question. Possibly he was taken off salary and agreed to be used on an as needed basis?

JimG
04-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Seibel confirms it

http://www.harnessracing.com/news/garyseibelisoutattvg.html

I have not watched TVG in a couple of years, but it seems to me that longevity or professionalism was not a major criteria of who would be let go by the network. Therefore, it appears to me the tighter an individual was with upper brass (Tony A.), the better chance of staying. Todd S. has always seemed like he was on the "inside", and the folks like him that create shenanigans on air were kept instead of those that professionally did their job. At least that is my observation.

Jim

pandy
04-02-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm disappointed to hear about Gary Seibel, but with his knowledge, talent, and golden voice, he has a lot going for him.

castaway01
04-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Good question. Possibly he was taken off salary and agreed to be used on an as needed basis?

I think you nailed it. He went from a salaried employee to someone they'll use when needed---a freelancer. If you work in TV/radio, you know that most of the time when they let you go it's a "change in direction" or "budget cuts" rather than personal dislike, so you might see Frank or others now and again if the station needs additional personnel on busy days.

delayjf
04-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Todd S. has always seemed like he was on the "inside", and the folks like him that create shenanigans on air were kept instead of those that professionally did their job. At least that is my observation.

I keep hearing something like the above, exactly what is his connection??

lamboguy
04-02-2011, 12:05 PM
hard facts are that the business model for TVG worked when they first started and they were the only game in town. i thought TVG did a great job with the tools they had to work with. i am sorry about gary seibel, he had talent. in today's world an adw that charges to make wagers, charges for their video, and has a mickey mouse reward program is going to take a back seat to more aggressive adw's. i am learning that real fast and i am trying to go the extra mile to make a wagering customer as happy as can be.

Light
04-02-2011, 12:18 PM
i am sorry about gary seibel, he had talent.

I keep hearing this. What talent? The guy was worse than Mr. B. in picking chalk and bored the crap out of me.Ditto for Katulak. At least Mr. B had some charm. Frank M was the only decent capper let go.

lamboguy
04-02-2011, 12:33 PM
maybe i should put this in a better way, he was very professional in the way in handled himself.

i like frank miramardi also. i didn't even know he was gone.

big frank
04-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm disappointed to hear about Gary Seibel, but with his knowledge, talent, and golden voice, he has a lot going for him. I agree , This guy was the only one on tvg who knows harness racing. Big mistake by tvg. Gary is a class act and a pro.

Zman179
04-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Gary Seibel was an excellent announcer at Pompano Park. Maybe there's a track that could use him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBcezrvYGY

usedtolovetvg
04-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I keep hearing something like the above, exactly what is his connection??

he's tony allevato's gambling buddy

Canarsie
04-03-2011, 11:00 AM
he's tony allevato's gambling buddy

I wonder if you answer this question for me? Since TVG has never turned a profit how does Tony Allevato wield so much power? If I kept a guy running the show for 10 years that didn't show positive results my head would need to be examined. :bang:

usedtolovetvg
04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I wonder if you answer this question for me? Since TVG has never turned a profit how does Tony Allevato wield so much power? If I kept a guy running the show for 10 years that didn't show positive results my head would need to be examined. :bang:

if i could have figured that one out, i'd probably have been able to figure out how to keep my job. he does surround himself with his hockey playing and gambling buddies with little or no tv experience and an ex-fiancée that you would die for.

statepierback
04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm surprised Seibel was let go. He was one of the better hosts and knew harness racing better than any one else on the staff. Perhaps they are planning to phase out harness from their programing schedule. In any event for those that remain its like being in limbo now. No one will know if the axe will fall their way in the coming months.

netbet
04-05-2011, 08:40 AM
To be honest, I don't think TVG lasts more than 2 more years. I don't know about HRTV...their programming has really changed....

I really don't see the need for 1 racing network let alone 2. With online wagering and video available, who really needs to sit in front of the TV?

Patrick

eastie
04-05-2011, 09:17 AM
me.....wifey doesn't mind. sitting in front of the computer, she minds.

BlueShoe
04-05-2011, 09:55 AM
i like frank miramardi also. i didn't even know he was gone.
Not gone, at least for now, according to the DRF. Short paragraph in last Sundays California Form with the heading of clarification. States that Frank Mirahmadi and Frank Lyons were not let go and are still with TVG.

Canarsie
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
if i could have figured that one out, i'd probably have been able to figure out how to keep my job. he does surround himself with his hockey playing and gambling buddies with little or no tv experience and an ex-fiancée that you would die for.

I wonder since you worked there if you could be kind enough to answer a few more questions.

Does Greg Wolf bet much to me he is totally clueless. Said 1 1/8 at Belmont is two turns, always asks his on air partner "right", and just doesn't seem like a racing guy to me.

Todd Schrupp can't possibly play all those large tickets he gives out. Every one seems to be at the max.

Believe it or not I believe Ken Rudolph plays his tickets because they're always small. Am I off base? If TVG went belly up he would be the first one imo to get another job in the broadcast media field.

Are other hosts/analysts jealous of how respected the Perloffs ( except Lambo...lol) Hines, Mirahmadi's are by the viewers?

netbet
04-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Mr. Mirahmadi needs to be calling the races at some racetrack...way to good of an announcer to be gabbing on TVG.

Not gone, at least for now, according to the DRF. Short paragraph in last Sundays California Form with the heading of clarification. States that Frank Mirahmadi and Frank Lyons were not let go and are still with TVG.

BlueShoe
04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Mr. Mirahmadi needs to be calling the races at some racetrack...way to good of an announcer to be gabbing on TVG. Always have thought that not taking the announcers job at Turf Paradise in favor of coming to TVG was not the right career move for Frank. Mike Chamberlain is a good announcer and is popular at the Phoenix track, so that gig is likely no longer an option for him.