PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft

Ocala Mike
03-23-2011, 02:50 PM
I just found out that I won't be getting my tax refund any time soon. IRS notified me that some low-life scumbag used my name, address, and SSN to file for a fraudualent refund in late January. When I filed in early February, the system went "TILT," and put a hold on both the refunds.

Now I have to notify Social Security, the Credit Reporting Agencies, the local gendarmes (guess they turn it over to FBI), and send an affidavit to IRS, then wait a long time before they are satisfied that my return is the legitimate one.

Didn't think this could happen to me; be careful out there, all! I think filing for the Earned Income Credit is giving rise to a lot of this fraud, and they don't care if they thumb their noses at the IRS. Another thing that causes an explosion in this stuff is the electronic filing of returns and automatic deposits of the funds.

Ocala Mike

redshift1
03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Any idea how your information was compromised?

Stevecsd
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Sorry you were the victim of some low life scum!

They might have a chance of catching the person. If they used your mailing address, they probably set up the fraudulent refund to be automatically deposited to a bank account. Since you filed in early February, they probably hadn't sent out the phony refund yet, as they were backed up with the end of the year tax changes.

I have heard over the last couple of years that this type of fraud, filing for fraudulent refunds, has increased dramatically.

I'm sure it will get straightened out eventually.

boxcar
03-23-2011, 03:17 PM
I just found out that I won't be getting my tax refund any time soon. IRS notified me that some low-life scumbag used my name, address, and SSN to file for a fraudualent refund in late January. When I filed in early February, the system went "TILT," and put a hold on both the refunds.

Now I have to notify Social Security, the Credit Reporting Agencies, the local gendarmes (guess they turn it over to FBI), and send an affidavit to IRS, then wait a long time before they are satisfied that my return is the legitimate one.

Didn't think this could happen to me; be careful out there, all! I think filing for the Earned Income Credit is giving rise to a lot of this fraud, and they don't care if they thumb their noses at the IRS. Another thing that causes an explosion in this stuff is the electronic filing of returns and automatic deposits of the funds.

Ocala Mike

Are you now or have ever been a card-carryin' member of any social site? FB, Twitter, etc. are huge fertile grounds from which to mine personal data.

Is your name tied in to your computer? Or is the "administrator" some fictitious name or even the generic "user" handle? Keep your personal data off your computer as much as possible.

Boxcar

PICSIX
03-23-2011, 03:50 PM

Ocala Mike

Mike,

Make sure you file a police report with your local jurisdiction (keep a copy with you at all times). I've heard many horror stories about the victims of identity theft being arrested.

Check out clarkhoward.com. Good info there on what to do when this happens to you.

Mike

Red Knave
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Mike

This is, of course, no consolation to you but you are part of what looks like a huge identity theft fraud put over on many people in your general area and of course, the IRS -

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/mar/21/210857/when-a-big-check-is-bad-news/

Ocala Mike
03-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks to all of the posters who replied in this thread; very helpful information.

I think boxcar may have hit the nail on the head about how my info may have gotten snagged; I have taken action to correct this. Also thanks to Red Knave for that link; figures that Florida leads the league in this kind of crap!

Ocala Mike

NJ Stinks
03-24-2011, 12:09 AM
Mike, I understand what you are going through. Somebody gave my SSN to a gas and electric provider in NJ a couple years ago. Then he never paid his energy bills for a year and a half at a rented apartment. Of course, eventually this non-payment affected my credit rating. It took me 4 months to get it straightened out. (How do you prove you never rented an apartment 50 miles from your home under an assumed name? :bang: )

At any rate, I told some bill collector from the energy company that they had no business asking anybody for their SSN. The bill collector said I may have a point. Great. :rolleyes:

I get the same garbage from doctor's offices and other healthcare providers. I tell them all the same thing. When the doctor or CEO gives me their SSN, I'll give them mine. Otherwise, they don't need anything more than my health insurance info. They always back off needing the SSN because they simply have no legal grounds for requiring an SSN. Even if they decided to file patients in their computer by SSN a long time ago.

bigmack
03-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Then he never paid his energy bills for a year and a half at a rented apartment. Of course, eventually this non-payment affected my credit rating.
Hard to believe a utility wouldn't cut off service after two months. :rolleyes:

A hostess used my CC # from an Olive Garden in Rancho Mirage. Sent flowers to herself and bought a bunch of Victoria's Secret. I didn't know whether to file charges or ask for a date.

Push comes to shove and it's a wicked world. LifeLock.com is $100/yr and will thwart any attempt of IT.

NJ Stinks
03-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Hard to believe a utility wouldn't cut off service after two months. :rolleyes:

You raise a fair point. The unpaid amount was just under $900 if I remember correctly. Maybe he paid all but $900 and it was 18 months past due.

I'd have to look it up to be sure. But I won't bother, of course.

bigmack
03-24-2011, 01:24 AM
You raise a fair point. The unpaid amount was just under $900 if I remember correctly. Maybe he paid all but $900 and it was 18 months past due.
I'd have to look it up to be sure. But I won't bother, of course.
18 months past due. :lol:

Stick to being pauciloquent. Anything beyond that exposes your smarts.