PDA

View Full Version : Norton 360: quickly becoming a PITA

DJofSD
03-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I have just had another experience with Norton 360 SONOR causing my system become less than usable. This time, it was an update to FireFox. When the update was installed and the browser relauched, it hung because SONOR did not like the program used to support the plug in environment. The entire browser was unusable.

I've permanently turned off SONOR. And now, I am looking for a replacement to help protect my day-in day-out computer.

What do others use for anti-virus and email protection? Any recommedations for NOD32?

cj
03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
I have just had another experience with Norton 360 SONOR causing my system become less than usable. This time, it was an update to FireFox. When the update was installed and the browser relauched, it hung because SONOR did not like the program used to support the plug in environment. The entire browser was unusable.

I've permanently turned off SONOR. And now, I am looking for a replacement to help protect my day-in day-out computer.

What do others use for anti-virus and email protection? Any recommedations for NOD32?

I've been using Windows Security Essentials. It hasn't been a problem yet in over a year.

I've also used Avast and loved it too. Both are free.

headhawg
03-23-2011, 01:34 PM
FWIW I use Nod32; just the antivirus not the entire Internet security suite. I have been using it for several years now. No complaints but your mileage may vary as they say. It's usually one of the top-ranked programs when lab tests are done if that matters to you.

bigmack
03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
DJ -

You know ESET/Nod32 is HQ'd out of Coronado here? They're always rated well as HH mentioned but it's at a price.

Push comes to shove and either of the two cj mentioned work without incident.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

Norton is just too invasive & bulky.

DJofSD
03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks to all that have responded so far. I'm interested in additional feedback. TIA.

Mack, I knew it was somewhere in the local area but I didn't know it was in your backyard. Thanks for the links.

johnhannibalsmith
03-23-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm the world's worst when it comes to protection. I spent the better part of eight months slowly eradicating the pesky AntiSpy Soft crap from my antiquated PC that deserved nothing more than an honorable death.

Since, I have used MS Security Essentials on that old clunker as well as my PC that actually works (the one I'm using) and find it perfect for my needs/wants/abuse on both. The old clunker has even given up trying to relapse into infection since the day I installed it, this after trying nearly every other free-ish product out there without success.

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2011, 11:28 PM
MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and HITMAN PRO (the latter thanks to bigmack's excellent suggestion).

Hitman Pro eradicated a particular pain in the ass when none of the other two would...

Hitman Pro available here with a 30 day free trial -> http://www.surfright.nl/en