PDA

View Full Version : Howard Bryant ESPN sportswriter arrest. Racism? LMAO

Zippy Chippy
03-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Did anyone catch the Howard Bryant beating up his wife arrest?

http://1800rant.com/?p=1507

I was hesitant about posting things like this, but the guy drives me crazy. I used to read his column in the Boston Herald, but it got annoying that EVERY SINGLE column was about things like "The Red Sox organization is racist" etc. Always race. I mean there are other things to write about. I'm hoping ESPN makes the correct decision here although I'm sure they won't.

Couple cliffs

"Five Witnesses claim that they saw the writer choke his wife and force her in to a car outside the pizza parlor"

"I believe that witnesses saw things through the lens of race and if it were a caucasian male they wouldn't have blinked at what they saw" said Bryants lawyer.

slew101
03-22-2011, 11:49 PM
That was three weeks ago. I heard the initial report about some writer getting arrested.

I never heard of this guy.

Robert Goren
03-23-2011, 12:27 AM
The Red Sox were the last of the then 16 major league teams to have a black player on its major league roster. Can anyone named the player without the use of google?

cj's dad
03-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Bumpsy Green ?

Robert Goren
03-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Bumpsy Green ? Close enough. It was Pumpsie Green. I believe he had a brother who played for the Cowboys.

OTM Al
03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Close enough. It was Pumpsie Green. I believe he had a brother who played for the Cowboys.

The Red Sox also maintained a quota of three black players on the team for several years even after they integrated. They had Willie Mays and Hank Aaron in for tryouts and told both of them to go home. Imagine that outfield, Williams, Mays and Aaron. There was never a curse of the Bambino on the Red Sox, only a curse of their own shortsightedness.

I believe the Cubs were the last NL team to integrate as well, though suprisingly were the first team to have an African-American coach. Does anyone see a pattern here?

Valuist
03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
The Red Sox also maintained a quota of three black players on the team for several years even after they integrated. They had Willie Mays and Hank Aaron in for tryouts and told both of them to go home. Imagine that outfield, Williams, Mays and Aaron. There was never a curse of the Bambino on the Red Sox, only a curse of their own shortsightedness.

I believe the Cubs were the last NL team to integrate as well, though suprisingly were the first team to have an African-American coach. Does anyone see a pattern here?

Are you sure about that? Ernie Banks started playing in the early 50s. And in the 60s the Cubs had 3 African American players who ended up in the Hall of Fame.

OTM Al
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Are you sure about that? Ernie Banks started playing in the early 50s. And in the 60s the Cubs had 3 African American players who ended up in the Hall of Fame.

You're right. Not sure why I had the Cubs pegged for that one. They were actually the 4th NL team to integrate in late 1953. Maybe it got mixed in my head because Chicago's famed player in the 1880's Cap Anson has often been cited as a major instigator in getting black players booted initially. This may be reaching as he probably wasn't that different than many players of his time, just was a lot more argumentative. The answer for last to integrate in the NL is actually the Phillies.

And i'm embarassed but who was the 3rd HoFer? Banks, Williams and drawing a blank. Fergie Jenkins? Wasn't sure he made it.

Valuist
03-23-2011, 05:31 PM
You're right. Not sure why I had the Cubs pegged for that one. They were actually the 4th NL team to integrate in late 1953. Maybe it got mixed in my head because Chicago's famed player in the 1880's Cap Anson has often been cited as a major instigator in getting black players booted initially. This may be reaching as he probably wasn't that different than many players of his time, just was a lot more argumentative. The answer for last to integrate in the NL is actually the Phillies.

And i'm embarassed but who was the 3rd HoFer? Banks, Williams and drawing a blank. Fergie Jenkins? Wasn't sure he made it.

Yes it was Fergie.

Hank
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Did anyone catch the Howard Bryant beating up his wife arrest?

http://1800rant.com/?p=1507

I was hesitant about posting things like this, but the guy drives me crazy. I used to read his column in the Boston Herald, but it got annoying that EVERY SINGLE column was about things like "The Red Sox organization is racist " etc. Always race. I mean there are other things to write about. I'm hoping ESPN makes the correct decision here although I'm sure they won't.

Couple cliffs

"Five Witnesses claim that they saw the writer choke his wife and force her in to a car outside the pizza parlor"

"I believe that witnesses saw things through the lens of race and if it were a caucasian male they wouldn't have blinked at what they saw" said Bryants lawyer.

Bryant earned a living writing exclusively about racism, fascinating.And you hope espn does the "right" thing,of course you do,because all "those people" do is whine about imaginary racism.This is especially annoying because everyone knows that the only racism that still exist is reverse racism against poor oppressed white folks.

cj's dad
03-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Bryant earned a living writing exclusively about racism, fascinating.And you hope espn does the "right" thing,of course you do,because all "those people" do is whine about imaginary racism.This is especially annoying because everyone knows that the only racism that still exist is reverse racism against poor oppressed white folks.

Yeah, and at one time women couldn't vote, Irish and Polish were severely discriminated against and each and everyone moved on.

Note to Hank :

Next Topic.

MOVE ON !!

rastajenk
03-24-2011, 09:04 AM
DOT ORG!